Hit a deer doing 70mph :(

Bossrubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur, 1950 m38
One hit me while I was going 55 mph on jlur. Ran right into my drivers side between the doors above the rock rail. Dented the tub between the doors and both doors at the bottom, and blew off the rear flare and wheel liner. They were able to pop the dents but had to repaint the back door because it cracked the paint. $2000. Deer was processed by my 315 cooper stt pro and is unable to comment on the situation at this time. I had about a millisecond to react.
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
For hitting a deer at 70mph it could've been MUCH worse. The main thing is that you're ok. Too many people swerve to miss a deer then end up in a ditch hitting a tree or left of center into another vehicle.
Never swerve

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Right NEVER swerve. But it's a natural reaction. Apply brakes, hope for the best. I'm in Ohio huge deer population. I know my family and friends probably get tired of hearing that from me.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Right NEVER swerve. But it's a natural reaction. Apply brakes, hope for the best. I'm in Ohio huge deer population. I know my family and friends probably get tired of hearing that from me.
One where there's one there are usually more:like:

Sponsored

bkgray115

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
this is why they all need steel bumpers! I laugh at every crash test when they use sport models with plastic bumpers.

Robull

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jl
Morning all...Hit a large deer on the interstate doing 70 friday night, came out of no where. Hit drivers front and it flung it back to drivers fender and door. It happen so fast couldn't even react. 2 month old rubicon, makes me sick.

Front steel bumper creased, grill busted inside, drivers headlight pushed in and loose, lower fender and door dented up and my side mirror went backwards and the glass shattered...adjuster coming out this week.

Do you think there is any frame damage? There seemed to be a slight vibration shimmy after i drove it home..

Worried about long term ramifications.

Chris

IMG_2895.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg
for insurance the deer hit u

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Top Five States For Claims From A Collision With A Deer, Elk, Moose Or Caribou, 2018
Rank State 2018 odds
1 West Virginia 1 in 46
2 Montana 1 in 57
3 Pennsylvania 1 in 63
4 Wisconsin 1 in 72
5 Iowa 1 in 73

Source: State Farm®.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
this is why they all need steel bumpers! I laugh at every crash test when they use sport models with plastic bumpers.
In this case, I agree that the steel bumper was beneficial to the plastic covered one. Versus a barrier or another car the minimal amount of extra steel's influence is negligible. Those crash tests are absolutely reliable to real world results.
I've done crash tests with steel bumpers and plastic covered bumpers (using pickups not Jeeps). Against anything much more substantial than an animal, or low speed bump the difference is indistinguishable.

for insurance the deer hit u
That's a myth. The insurance companies understand that deer run in front of you, and are often unavoidable. The police report and/or the insurance claim can show that you hit the deer and not consider you at fault.
I laugh at those statements when someone hits a deer dead center and they say "the deer hit me". Oh, so it was running sideways down the road and smashed its ribs into your hood eh? If that's the case why didn't you stop, because you would have had all kinds of time to see that coming.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ha ha.

tenor.gif

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
70mph?! No blood, no body damage just a bent bumper. Count yourself lucky you have almost no damage done to your Jeep. From what I can see even your fog light is still in tact.

From the pictures it definitely looks like a shitty situation but you really lucked out.

Pun intended.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Just had a similar experience the other night driving through Nebraska. It was my buddy's turn at night, he was doing 73 mph or so. He hit a deer and woke us all up. Saw our lives flash before our eyes as he began swerving a bit but was able to gain control. We pulled to the side and saw nothing. Looks like my right tire caught his butt and he managed to still run away. We got off the next exit to check the Jeep. The tire was slanted a bit away from the body of the Jeep. My steering wheel is now turned more than 45 degrees to the side to keep it straight. I also got the "service electronic stability control" light on after the impact. We still drove from the middle of Nebraska to Chicago through the night at about 50 mph. I'm hoping an alignment fixes the issue, but who knows. It would've been better if the LOD Stubby bumper took the direct hit, but unfortunately the tire got the direct impact. Do you guys think I will have a problem, if going through insurance since I don't have a police report?

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
Here is our Animal Strike Data in Maine:
Jeep Wrangler JL Hit a deer doing 70mph :( Animal Strikes, Maine.JPG

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Wow, that's roughly a 33% increase in deer collisions from steady 2014-2016 to 2018!

Do Maine game management people attribute this to anything? Could the deer population grow that much in 2 years?
Sponsored