Fernflex

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Hi
I have the oem led headlights, I did the coding with jscan to use the fog lights and high beam at the same time.

Im looking for answers, to see if I can use the high and low beam at the same time preferably with fog lights on.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure that the low beam stays lit when the high beams are activated. And I used the Tazer Mini to deactivate the fog drop-off when the highs are used.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hi
I have the oem led headlights, I did the coding with jscan to use the fog lights and high beam at the same time.

Im looking for answers, to see if I can use the high and low beam at the same time preferably with fog lights on.
I think the OEM LED light has a single light source chip and a shutter which provides the low beam cut-off and moves out of the way for the high beam.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I don’t think having the fog lights on with the high beam will be helpful unless you replace them with driving lights....Baja designs makes some good LED retrofits, but I suspect they would be illegal to use on the highway...

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don’t think having the fog lights on with the high beam will be helpful unless you replace them with driving lights....Baja designs makes some good LED retrofits, but I suspect they would be illegal to use on the highway...
I agree, the factory fogs will only light the foreground and provide nothing in terms of useable light at speed. I have the Baja Designs Squadron Pro lights in my fog positions with spot/wide lenses. They provide enough light for any highway speed I care to take my Jeep up to and work very well for moderate off-road speeds and cover a wide area so you can see obstacles and side roads. I have a similar setup on my truck (quad S2 Pros, with wide and spot) and feel they are good for ~100 mph. I don't drive that fast, but have driven on lonely highways up to 75-80 with them comfortably. And yes, running most aftermarket lights on the highways and streets is illegal.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Some more thoughts on "fog lights" and driving lights and their switching.

I currently have my Baja Designs Squadron Pros wired to the OEM fog light harness. While this is convenient OK (I have to lean forward slightly) to turn them on and off alone, it has a limitation and becomes an issue when using high beams.

If you turn on the fog lights (my Squadron Pros the way it is currently wired), then turn on high beams, the fog lights (Squadron Pros) extinguish. But worse, when you dim the high beams to prevent blinding an approaching vehicle, the Squadron Pros come back on and they are much brighter than my headlights.

I'd like to have the ability to run high beam (with my newly installed S-V.4 3600 lumen LED bulbs) and my Baja Designs Squadron Pros at the same time. I'd like to have one convenient movement of a switch to dim my headlights and shut off all other forward lights, so I can dim everything instantly when an oncoming vehicle crests the horizon or comes around the bend. No dimming the headlights with the column stick, then reaching all over the dashboard or above on the center overhead to shut down the driving lights. Too much monkey motion. Too slow.

On my truck, I wired the S2 Pros to a power source thru a relay. The relay control is jumped to the high beam signal. So, when I hit the high beams, I get the S2 Pros and when I dim the high beams, the S2 Pros shut off. I've had them wired this way for about 6 years and used them driving across the country on lonely highways of the west and midwest. Almost ideal. But I think I'd like to put a switch between the high beam signal and the relay, so I can just command high beam without the S2 Pros, when I'd like. This would allow high beam alone or high beam and the driving lights together to be controlled (dimmed) with the column stick. That's my plan for the Jeep too.
Sponsored

Last edited: