Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Hey guys,
So I’m getting ready to wire up a pair of Baja Designs LP6 lights to my AUX system. I plan on using the AUX 1 wire for the LP6 high beam and not hooking up the other wires because i don’t really need the low beams or running lights.

My question Is this: I would like to run a relay to my headlight high beam wire so the LP6 lights will only operate with the headlight high beams on. It seems that if I run a relay between the AUX 1 wire and the hot wire going to the lights, with a lead going from the headlight wire to the relay this should work correct? Since the AUX 1 wire is putting out 30 amps, do I need to run a separate power wire to the battery?

Sorry for the ignorance but I’m new to the whole relay thing and YouTube isn’t doing me a ton of favors since the “switch” (aux 1) is feeding enough power to run the lights and isn’t needing a dedicated power supply to the lights from the batter.

This should allow me to turn the lights on and off with the AUX 1 button, but they will only work with the high beams on correct?

Could anyone describe the pins I would need to hook up for each wire?
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Hey guys,
So I’m getting ready to wire up a pair of Baja Designs LP6 lights to my AUX system. I plan on using the AUX 1 wire for the LP6 high beam and not hooking up the other wires because i don’t really need the low beams or running lights.

My question Is this: I would like to run a relay to my headlight high beam wire so the LP6 lights will only operate with the headlight high beams on. It seems that if I run a relay between the AUX 1 wire and the hot wire going to the lights, with a lead going from the headlight wire to the relay this should work correct? Since the AUX 1 wire is putting out 30 amps, do I need to run a separate power wire to the battery?

Sorry for the ignorance but I’m new to the whole relay thing and YouTube isn’t doing me a ton of favors since the “switch” (aux 1) is feeding enough power to run the lights and isn’t needing a dedicated power supply to the lights from the batter.

This should allow me to turn the lights on and off with the AUX 1 button, but they will only work with the high beams on correct?

Could anyone describe the pins I would need to hook up for each wire?
Did a similar setup on a friends JT using the LP9 pro's. His are setup so the AUX1 switch turns on the low beams on the LP's, and when his high beams are on the LP's also go to high. Also the ambers come on with the running lights.

We used a relay with AUX1 on the NC contact to the low input on the LP, the NO to the high input on the LP, and the trigger from the high beams.

We put the relay behind the passenger headlight as easy to get to the high beam wiring.

OP
OP
Jgeiken

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Did a similar setup on a friends JT using the LP9 pro's. His are setup so the AUX1 switch turns on the low beams on the LP's, and when his high beams are on the LP's also go to high. Also the ambers come on with the running lights.

We used a relay with AUX1 on the NC contact to the low input on the LP, the NO to the high input on the LP, and the trigger from the high beams.

We put the relay behind the passenger headlight as easy to get to the high beam wiring.
Oh Wow I didn’t even think of setting it up like that. That’s a great idea thank you. My only issue is, I’d like the lights to be completely killed if I kill my high beams in case I’m on the road and have a car come around the corner.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Oh Wow I didn’t even think of setting it up like that. That’s a great idea thank you. My only issue is, I’d like the lights to be completely killed if I kill my high beams in case I’m on the road and have a car come around the corner.
You can always hook them up and just not connect the relay NC to the low in on LP's. Then it would work as you like. You would need to turn on AUX1 and have highs on to get the LP high beam.

Just you don't want to ever enable low and high at the same time on the LP's or they warn you can fry the circuit board.

OP
OP
Jgeiken

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
You can always hook them up and just not connect the relay NC to the low in on LP's. Then it would work as you like. You would need to turn on AUX1 and have highs on to get the LP high beam.

Just you don't want to ever enable low and high at the same time on the LP's or they warn you can fry the circuit board.
Perfect thank you for the reply! My plan for now is to just terminate the low beam wire inside the wiring harness and save it in case I change my mind later.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jgeiken

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

Thinking about it today, I just had one more question. Could I hook the LP6 high beams to the 87 pin and the low beams to the 87a pin? That would create where the high beams would be on with the headlight high beams, and then switch power to the low LP6 wire when the headlight high beams are off correct?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thinking about it today, I just had one more question. Could I hook the LP6 high beams to the 87 pin and the low beams to the 87a pin? That would create where the high beams would be on with the headlight high beams, and then switch power to the low LP6 wire when the headlight high beams are off correct?
I guess you need to answer these questions:

- Do you want the LP's high beams on when the headlight high beams are on always? Or just when enabled with an AUX?

- Do you want the LP's low beam on under what scenarios?

Once you define the logic one or more relays might be needed to get the right functionality.

But we hooked up with AUX to pin 30, 87a to LP low beam, 87 to LP high beam, 85 to ground and 86 to headlight high beams.

Changeover_relay.png

OP
OP
Jgeiken

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I guess you need to answer these questions:

- Do you want the LP's high beams on when the headlight high beams are on always? Or just when enabled with an AUX?

- Do you want the LP's low beam on under what scenarios?

Once you define the logic one or more relays might be needed to get the right functionality.

But we hooked up with AUX to pin 30, 87a to LP low beam, 87 to LP high beam, 85 to ground and 86 to headlight high beams.

Changeover_relay.png
I definitely would like to have the LP6 able to be completely killed by turning off the AUX switch regardless of the state of the headlights. With the AUX switch on, using the Jeep high beams to activate the LP6 high beams and then turn them to low beams by turning off the Jeep High beams. It sounds like that is the same setup as your buddy using the method you described.

Thank you a ton for your help!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I definitely would like to have the LP6 able to be completely killed by turning off the AUX switch regardless of the state of the headlights. With the AUX switch on, using the Jeep high beams to activate the LP6 high beams and then turn them to low beams by turning off the Jeep High beams. It sounds like that is the same setup as your buddy using the method you described.

Thank you a ton for your help!
His work as follows:

- AUX1 needs to be on or the LP9's will not come on. (completely killed, no power to them)

- With AUX1 on the LP9 low beams come on low beam without the headlights, or with headlights on low beam.

- When AUX1 is on and headlights are on highbeam the LP9 go to high as well.

The above seems the best compromise for how he wanted them setup.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0

Did you use this wiring harness or something else?
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/light-wiring/640172-baja-designs-lp9-wiring-harness

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jgeiken

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We built a harness using the proper connector to match LP9s as that way it was all the right lengths, soldered, and heat shrunk, and then in braided loom.

I’m sure the BD hardness would work fine as a starting point.
Yea I’m definitely not talented enough to fabricate my own harness. I’ll have to work with the BD harness I guess.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yea I’m definitely not talented enough to fabricate my own harness. I’ll have to work with the BD harness I guess.
It's more about the tools. My buddy is a marine electrical tech so he had the right crimpers for the plugs that attach to the lights as well as soldering iron, heat gun, and all the other stuff needed.

We used this relay socket with the right relay so it was water tight.

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H84709...6BDF5G1Q1MN&psc=1&refRID=HGY0KGM106BDF5G1Q1MN

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)