Sponsored

HELP... Tapping in an aux light - fried something?

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

HELP!

I was finishing up installing a tailgate table w/LED light. Fished the wire through the harness across the back of the jeep cargo floor and decided to tap into the 12v outlet.

Was impatient waiting 24hr for some T-Taps to splice into the wiring and decided to solder the 22g wire into the existing wiring. I disassembled the connector and tried to solder the hot wire. Had a little spark... anyways realized I blew a 20amp fuse.

Replaced the fuse #43 for the battery operation only and still no power. The outlet does work with ignition on (Fuse #45). So, question is... what next?

I guessing a fried some wiring. Do I try to lift and remove the fuse panel? See what's underneath?
Sponsored

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Bump

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Shoot... really hoping someone here could give me some troubleshooting tips!

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
OK well that plug can operate at power always on or power only when ignition is on. Simply by moving the fuse. I bet when you replaced the fuse you just put it in the wrong spot and if you correct that, you will have power back with the ignition off.

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Extreme Recon, 2021 Toyota

Sponsored

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
According to the diagram, if you place the 20A fuse in the #43 position, the 12V socket should have power even with the ignition/acc off. In other words, there will be power at the fuse box and the socket in the "always on" setting.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Check the settings in your UConnect, make sure it's set to "Always On"... (I think that can be controlled through there, but might be incorrect) I'm wondering if blowing the fuse may have changed the setting somehow?

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Check the settings in your UConnect, make sure it's set to "Always On"... (I think that can be controlled through there, but might be incorrect) I'm wondering if blowing the fuse may have changed the setting somehow?
Good idea... will do.

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I can't find any settings related to the 12v cargo outlet. I know there are two fuses and both are good to go.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I can't find any settings related to the 12v cargo outlet. I know there are two fuses and both are good to go.
Hmmmm, I have no idea, but hopefully someone can help you figure it out?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A multi-meter, continuity light, or Power Probe will help you diagnose where there is power and no power. Keep working your way upstream in the circuit, from the dead circuit toward the battery or from the battery downstream, until you locate the break in the circuit. The process is not difficult. Use the schematic to aid you.

For the fuse panel, you can simply check to see that the power source side of the fuse socket is hot. If not, work your way upstream using the schematic. If the fuse socket is hot on one side, work your way downstream toward the location where you don't have power.
Sponsored