Sponsored

Help! Squirrels eating front bumper

jmgrant41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was looking at my Sahara JLU for the first time and asked how I had already tore up the front bumper. Not knowing what he was talking about, I looked and saw several gouge marks on the left side of the bumper. Soon after, I witnessed a squirrel having a feast on the bumper. Within just a couple of weeks, my bumper is now torn up all over with deep teeth/gouge marks. Has anyone else had this problem? Minus upgrading the factory Sahara plastic bumper to steel, I'm at a loss on how to stop this. Insurance is replacing the bumper cover now but I'm sure it's going to continue to happen unless I find a solution or move somewhere with no squirrels.

090.JPG

085.JPG
Sponsored

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
If you can't dispose of them in the neighborhood I wonder if you could make a paste from Cayenne pepper and brush on bumper if that would deter them enough not to come back and do it to your new one.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Do you live next to a nuclear waste dump site and have mutant squirrels or something!?!?!? I have never heard of squirrels eating a bumper...hopefully you figure out a solution!

Sponsored

OP
OP
jmgrant41

jmgrant41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
If you can't dispose of them in the neighborhood I wonder if you could make a paste from Cayenne pepper and brush on bumper if that would deter them enough not to come back and do it to your new one.
That's not a bad idea. I'll try anything at this point. I've found several "Squirrel Repellent" sprays on Amazon but not sure what they might do to the plastic.

OP
OP
jmgrant41

jmgrant41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
Do you live next to a nuclear waste dump site and have mutant squirrels or something!?!?!? I have never heard of squirrels eating a bumper...hopefully you figure out a solution!
Apparently, it's a thing. I found a thread from 2015 with someone else having the same issue. I'll update with anything that works.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was looking at my Sahara JLU for the first time and asked how I had already tore up the front bumper. Not knowing what he was talking about, I looked and saw several gouge marks on the left side of the bumper. Soon after, I witnessed a squirrel having a feast on the bumper. Within just a couple of weeks, my bumper is now torn up all over with deep teeth/gouge marks. Has anyone else had this problem? Minus upgrading the factory Sahara plastic bumper to steel, I'm at a loss on how to stop this. Insurance is replacing the bumper cover now but I'm sure it's going to continue to happen unless I find a solution or move somewhere with no squirrels.
I have two Sahara JLU bumper take offs I’d be happy to sell you.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
A lot of things that used to be rubber or plastic, are now soy based. A lot more problems with rodents eating wiring, and other stuff now. My brother in law had a rat at his work eat a lot of wiring in his new camaro a couple years ago.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Between this Summer and last Summer combined, I have lets say dealt with 17 chipmunks and 6 squirrels that decided they would live in my JK and JL's engine compartment. The chipmunks even made a home in my JK's, air filter canister. Oh, they also ate half of the sound deadener on my JK's engine compartment hood.

Yes, I live in a very isolated area with lots of woods nearby..

Anyway, I quickly dealt with them using a Rat Zapper.

Score: Bill 17 Chipmunks, 6 squirrels Critters 0
41wSypxmQOL._AC_US400_QL65_.jpg

Traveler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Hella Yella, 2011 JK, 1997 TJ Sport, 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland
I kid you now, but back in 1997, I was in Germany for about two weeks. On my second day, the rental car (a small Renault four banger), was misfiring something terrible. The car had less than 500 KMs on it. I drove it to a local rental place (military base) and the German woman that worked there started talking about "Veesels"....

Well, one of the Americans came over and told me the area was the natural habitat for the black-footed ferret. aka Weasel. They make their way into the engine compartment and liked to chew up the spark plug wires. Sure enough, we opened the hood and two of the wires had been cut through.

His suggestion was to take some dog hair, put it in a nylon stocking and hang it in the engine compartment. I said thank you very much, just give me another car....

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Dude! You're in NoVA, I’m in SoMD. If you ever need a JLU bumper because squirrels eat it, I will let them both go cheap. Taking up space in the garage.
Sponsored