wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a fridge slid costing $350. So I was wondering if anyone has done it as I am thinking I might have to try. It is one of those things though. do I drop a $150 of material and spend a day fabbing to then just have something hokey when I should have just spent the money. I kind of want a shelf in the back, but to do so requires a fridge slide. We camp a lot and I would like the shelf to throw the chairs on and free up space.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a fridge slid costing $350. So I was wondering if anyone has done it as I am thinking I might have to try. It is one of those things though. do I drop a $150 of material and spend a day fabbing to then just have something hokey when I should have just spent the money. I kind of want a shelf in the back, but to do so requires a fridge slide. We camp a lot and I would like the shelf to throw the chairs on and free up space.
Spend the money. I’m not saying you couldn’t do it, but something like that will take a while and will induce a lot of aggravation. To me it would be worth the extra couple hundred. Just some .02.

Jaeth

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.doublerrealtygroup.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Realtor
I've looked into building my own and most of the cost is in the full length slides. I doubt cheap ones will last long enough to make up for the headache.

Would be happy to be proven wrong.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Spend the money. I’m not saying you couldn’t do it, but something like that will take a while and will induce a lot of aggravation. To me it would be worth the extra couple hundred. Just some .02.
giphy.gif

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The same, looking for full length, heavy duty drawer sliders/tracks/whatever you call them, those things add up fast.
Anyone have any ideas for lost cost ones that might actually last/work right?

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I can make one out of wood, that’s in my wheel house,( cabinet maker in another life ) but the drawer slides only hold a 100 pounds each. Would that be enough? I don’t know what a full fridge would weigh.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The same, looking for full length, heavy duty drawer sliders/tracks/whatever you call them, those things add up fast.
Anyone have any ideas for lost cost ones that might actually last/work right?

Ted @wibornz, I'm glad you made it through the femaleJeepalloza with your wife and her friends (See prior threads) none the worse for wear!

Gary: fascinated by LOD offroad's sliding roof rack product a while back I priced 5' superstrong drawer slides---https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...estroyer-4-door-sliding-roof-rack-option.html

Ryadon, by no means the only maker of quality product in this space, (and I don't think the brand LOD used) seems to no longer have the 5' model on amazon, not that you need such a length, but shorter ones are available. You can get an idea of prices here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KIG4L0K/ref=twister_B01KIG4M8G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Ted: I won't tell you which way to go on buy versus create. Personally, if created and sometimes been happy, and other times spent money twice: once for parts and my time, and another time to buy the stuff I made poorly--so I hear you.

That said, I didn't hear anyone factor in the fact that you're retired---which doesn't necessarily mean you have all the free time in the world.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
DPG makes a nice fridge slide for about 200. Hard to beat that price point..

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I am retired. I have time...... with that said, I have tools.....lots of tools. I have the 47 quart ARB fridge. The ARB fridge has a threaded feet on it. So I should be able to create a box out of Aluminum and drill four holes through it and secure the fridge. Then mount one side of the cabinet slides to aluminum angle stock and the other side to the the aluminum box and be done.

The cabinet locking slides are expensive for quality and something strong. I was looking at this:

40 inch long locking cabinet slides rated to 264 pounds

I think I can build the whole thing for under two hundred bucks.......

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I am retired. I have time...... with that said, I have tools.....lots of tools. I have the 47 quart ARB fridge. The ARB fridge has a threaded feet on it. So I should be able to create a box out of Aluminum and drill four holes through it and secure the fridge. Then mount one side of the cabinet slides to aluminum angle stock and the other side to the the aluminum box and be done.

The cabinet locking slides are expensive for quality and something strong. I was looking at this:

40 inch long locking cabinet slides rated to 264 pounds

I think I can build the whole thing for under two hundred bucks.......
One concern Ted:

As a woodworker I've been told, maybe incorrectly or with outdated 411, that drawer slides that have members which can disconnect from one another--as the your link seems to suggest is the case with this product based on one of the pictures--are never as well built as those which never come apart.

I wish Ryadon had some 40" ones available in their 3500 or 3600 series product line but I can't find any.

Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
DPG makes a nice fridge slide for about 200. Hard to beat that price point..
They are all back ordered, but I think I am going to reach out to them and see what kind of time frame it will take to get one. Thanks. for the tip.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I built my own set of drawers. If I remember correctly, I only bought 3 pieces of 4'x4' 1/2 inch plywood, 2 sets of hinges, and a few thumb bolts. I can run both drawers or a single drawer and have each drawer out in about 60 seconds. You could easily adapt this to a fridge slide.

Resized_20190614_200654.jpeg

Resized_20190614_200646.jpeg
Sponsored