Hard top...Drive with back window open?

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I have a hard top JL Sport. When driving around with either just the side windows open or the windows open and Freedom panels off, the air circulation in the cabin is poor. With just the windows, it's just hot. With the panels off too, it's still hot but on the highway, you get totally blasted in the side of your face. How many of you drive with the back window in the open/up position? I know from my old soft top TJ, that moving air out the back would help a lot, but I don't want to break any more fragile JL things. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
I do it. You get some exhaust in the cabin occasionally at low speeds. Haven't broken anything though.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
I’d be nervous a pebble or worse might hit it from the car in front of me. It sticks up a bit over the roofline. You see how easily our windshields crack; that back window would just shatter. Maybe I’m being paranoid about it, I don’t know.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a hard top but I would only drive with the back window open if my doors were off or my front windows were down. I try to minimize unnecessary exhaust fume inhalation.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I've done it locally to transport surfboards. Haven't had an issue but I don't think I'd drive down the interstate like that. I keep all the windows down as well to keep exhaust out, you can also use the ESS to minimize exhaust at stops.

Sponsored

TrewJL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
I wouldn't the extra weight of the wiper motor on the bottom makes it more like to close and break. Plus the replacement is around 1k since everything is integrated into the glass. I had mine replaced and at that time there was a 3 month back order.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
JKs and JKUs had a kit to fit slider windows to the hardtop from retrofit offroad, not sure if anyone has made them for the JL yet. But I think you should reach out to retrofit offroad, see if they have any or have plans to make them.
The hardtop side windows are removable on the Sky One touch hard top, the panels have rotating latches, locating pins like the front T tops. I'm hoping a kit or hardtop comes out with this. Otherwise, a possible DIY

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I’d be nervous a pebble or worse might hit it from the car in front of me. It sticks up a bit over the roofline. You see how easily our windshields crack; that back window would just shatter. Maybe I’m being paranoid about it, I don’t know.
I am paranoid with you . I keep it shut.
Sponsored