Drive with hard top rear glass up?

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
That's actually a really great point. When the glass is up, you can't see it at all with any of your mirrors, so I can see pulling in to my garage and forgetting it's up... then pushing the button to close the garage door, which will definitely come down onto the glass.
I've done that twice with mountain bikes on. Once in a parking garage had the bikes vertical with the front wheels on the roll bar in my YJ. Friends bike took the brunt of that one. :(. Another time in my regular garage. My roof rack got bent. Bike was okay. :whew:
Sponsored

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
I've always been to scared i'd fling a rock up and break it. I've had chunks of mud and rocks hit the top of my roof, the inside of the windshield and my side mirrors when offroading on KM2s so never wanted to risk it. I think if you have no-deductible glass replacement (which all wrangler owners should have lol) it also covers the rear window so have at it hahaha

side note if i have my soft top rear window down i can smell exhaust fumes in the cab even with the windows down if i gas it hard on the highway. Never noticed it in traffic or at slow speeds though

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have a 2 door. I carried some timber from Bunnings last week with the glass open and it was fine.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Dig into the manual. Don’t think it’s ever advised, but that’s to cover warranty issues. I’d say do whatever you want, but be prepared to pay for anything that breaks.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Short answer, why not? To each their own I say, how about hardtop on, back window up, one freedom panel removed, doors on, and the windshield down. That's the thing, the possibilities are almost endless...

:party:
can you say Aerodynamic???

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Jeep should really make that rear glass window REMOVABLE!!!

With the power sliding top, rear side window being removable, and (if only) rear window removable too it would be really awesome and innovative of Jeep. Only thing it would be missing is half doors (designed for hard top equipped jeeps) and Jeep would be really innovative and pave the future... but they are playing it safe in my opinion selling mostly hard tops (especially with the Gladiators).

I am really bummed that you can no longer get half doors. I’ll just have to stick to my 11 year old JK Rubicon Unlimited with half doors on 37s. I love that thing.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
You mean you
I can say it, I can probably spell it most of the time, but absolutely never have I ever considered that as something id care about in regards to my Jeep.
you mean you can’t turn a BOX into a corvette???? Ahhhhhh, I need to return my Jeep

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I do it all the time to haul surfboards, and occasionally for air flow. I do not run with it up without at least the front 2 windows down, if not more. As for not removing the top, sometimes I surf in the rain ;)

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a dumb shit and drove off the other day with my glass up AND my rear door open. The door banged shut with a vengeance about three blocks later. The rear glass stayed up. No problem! I know this isn't really an answer to the OP's question, but had to say it. Now I feel better.
Sponsored