OP

danend

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
My wife's has gotten easier with use. We did a lot of offroading this week and it has definitely gotten better. I've noticed the angle you pull matters and it is easier with a single jerk instead of trying a gradual slow pull.

taysdad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe (ordered), 2017 GX460
My Rubicon had/has this too (during the ride from the dealership home. Since it hasn’t worked since I can’t say if it still does or not lol). Once (if) I get it back from the service department I’ll try again. I thought it was just me and the dealership acted like that was normal. Good to know some others are having same issue.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Since it hasn’t worked since I can’t say if it still does or not lol .
Once (if) I get it back from the service department I’ll try again.
I thought it was just me and the dealership acted like that was normal.
Sympathies for your situation . Once you finally get it into 4H , don't push your luck to go further , lol .

KentuckyJeep

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
I tried engaging into 4H last night and could not get it to budge. This is my first Wrangler, although I've driven previous years and never had issues with pulling into 4H. After reading some of these post I am going to try again and if no luck will take to the dealership.

So far though, loving my Saraha JL and just wish I had made this move earlier!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has loosened up nicely and now is just right. It was pretty hard the first dozen or so times I used it, though.

Last edited:

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all that have commented. I am having the same issue and feel better now. I have got it in both 4H and 4L, but it was very very difficult. I thought my 40 year old CJ was hard. LOL. My YJ was easy.

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
It will get easier as you use it more. Then first time I tried to use it, thought I was going to break it and looked like an idiot in my brand new Jeep stuck in a bit of soft sand trying to back up. it’s loosened up now and much easier to put into 4H

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
It should loosen up with use. Just keep working it and it should get easier. I found out that my Rubi will not go into Neutral or 2L without the trans being in neutral (automatic trans). No way, no how.
Yes has to be in Neutral to shift into 4h or 4l even back into 2h

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Yes has to be in Neutral to shift into 4h or 4l even back into 2h
Not true ... the manual does not tell you to shift back and forth between 2H and 4H with the transmission in neutral.

This is how I finally thought through it.

1) Basic rule ... don't do any shifting if your wheels are spinning.

2) Shifting between 2 and 4 wheel engagement --- You are not changing speed ratios with the gears! When stopped or moving, the front and rear input to the transfer case are both spinning at the same RPM ... so, simply engage or disengage the transfer case gearing with no need to shift into neutral. It helps if you remove the torque on the gears ... let up on the gas just a little as you are shifting.

3) Shifting between high and low range --- Now you are changing speed ratios with the gears! You have to engage neutral, so that the gears can reach the same speed, to mesh with no grinding. For me, rolling just a little (creeping) is the best speed ... stop on a slope, let up on the brakes, and as the Jeep starts to move then shift between high and low range. Cutting butter with a hot knife will come to mind as the shift is completed. Don't take the manual's 2 to 3 mph as gospel with this shift, play around with a lower than a walking speed to see if it doesn't work better for you.

Sponsored

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Not true ... the manual does not tell you to shift back and forth between 2H and 4H with the transmission in neutral.

This is how I finally thought through it.

1) Basic rule ... don't do any shifting if your wheels are spinning.

2) Shifting between 2 and 4 wheel engagement --- You are not changing speed ratios with the gears! When stopped or moving, the front and rear input to the transfer case are both spinning at the same RPM ... so, simply engage or disengage the transfer case gearing with no need to shift into neutral. It helps if you remove the torque on the gears ... let up on the gas just a little as you are shifting.

3) Shifting between high and low range --- Now you are changing speed ratios with the gears! You have to engage neutral, so that the gears can reach the same speed, to mesh with no grinding. For me, rolling just a little (creeping) is the best speed ... stop on a slope, let up on the brakes, and as the Jeep starts to move then shift between high and low range. Cutting butter with a hot knife will come to mind as the shift is completed. Don't take the manual's 2 to 3 mph as gospel with this shift, play around with a lower than a walking speed to see if it doesn't work better for you.
For automatic I meant not sure about manual trans

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
For automatic I meant not sure about manual trans
All of my off-road experience has been with automatics. Any mention of "manual" in my earlier post was directed at the "owner's manual," not a manual transmission.

The point I was trying to make is that the owner's manual leaves folks confused ... thus, my simplistic way of thinking about what to do with the transfer lever. It helps me, you might need another type of mental bookmark.

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
All of my off-road experience has been with automatics. Any mention of "manual" in my earlier post was directed at the "owner's manual," not a manual transmission.

The point I was trying to make is that the owner's manual leaves folks confused ... thus, my simplistic way of thinking about what to do with the transfer lever. It helps me, you might need another type of mental bookmark.
Yeah sorry I read your reply very fast and after re-reading it yes you refer to it as the owners manual I think it’s just safer to put it in neutral at a complete stop and then shifted I have tried to shift it to one of the wheels were moving at very low speed no speed it all just kind of rolling and just a grinding part of it I don’t like I hate to break something later especially being out on the trail so that’s why I say only a neutral can you shift it It’s much smoother and you can actually get a real handle on the direction of the four wheel shifter without trying to break something

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Hi folks,

Got a new Jeep and trying to figure out if shifting into 4H should be this difficult. It’s extremely difficult to shift, while shifting back into 2H is still firm but much easier.

Is this normal?
Sponsored