GPS issues

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Well suck. Count me in on the shown GPS location being off (not sure by how much maybe 10 miles). Went searching for a quick GPS reset but apparently needs new head unit? I don't use it very much but there are times when it has better maps that Google offroad. After taking over a year to get the backup camera replaced to fix the cold audio cut out problem fixed I'm not excited. At least I know what I'm getting into now....
My GPS went out this week and failed on the new OTA update. A new radio is on order.

My dad's GPS went out this week. The fact that both went out so close together makes me think it may be update related. He's taking his in next week.
Sponsored

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The update that makes you need a new radio. Sounds about right for this new and improved model, with all the recalls and steering issues. Iā€™m mean, this was supposed to be the off-road GOAT I passed down to my son when heā€™s old enough to drive. Jeeeesh, come on with the problems already. Iā€™m over it.

wyobob44

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 , 17 Indian Chieftain, 12 Ford F-350 Dually 4X4, 74 Jeep Wangoneer
Occupation
Retired
Dealer called today , my new radio is in and have an appointment for Thursday for the installation. Ya šŸ¤™šŸ¤™

Mtnexplr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My gps is all screwed up too. Alt is always at 0ft and it shows my location 40 miles away from where Iā€™m at lol. Going to take it in to the dealer Saturday to get it checked out. Shows I have no service but Xm is working.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
My gps is all screwed up too. Alt is always at 0ft and it shows my location 40 miles away from where Iā€™m at lol. Going to take it in to the dealer Saturday to get it checked out. Shows I have no service but Xm is working.
This happened the same week to my wrangler as well as a family members. Mine subsequently bricked on the update. It's an odd coincidence for both of ours to go out the same week if it isn't update related.

Radio's are on order for both of ours.

Sponsored

Cudaconv

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
This happened the same week to my wrangler as well as a family members. Mine subsequently bricked on the update. It's an odd coincidence for both of ours to go out the same week if it isn't update related.

Radio's are on order for both of ours.
After the recent software update my 2018 JL started having NAV issues. Vehicle showing off the actual route and NAV just stops working and has to be restarted. I took it to the dealer and of course they called and said they could not duplicate it. I told them they need to try again and drive it longer. They called back and said they duplicated the problem and they need to call FCA to find out what to do. I am very surprised they have never seen this. It is a big dealership in East Providence, RI. Two days later and still no call back from the dealership. It sounds like I should be expecting a new U Connect unit.

Update: After working with Jeep Cares for several weeks my Nav is fixed. To my surprise FCA would not agree to supply a new radio. I ended up with a refurbished radio with a 2 year warranty. After about 3 weeks of use it seems to be working fine. This is the first time I have experienced a manufacturer using refurbished (used) parts for a warranty repair.

Last edited:

Big Red Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ; 2014 FLHTK
cram501:

I am not sure if it is the same issue however it is the same result.

My 2021 (Sept 2020 pickup) JLUR's GPS has more often than not been off course. Several trips to the dealer were not helping. Finally, the dealer ordered new radio which I am waiting for now. FCA refuses to accept this as an inherent problem and has not issued any statements. Dealers do not fix radios, just replace them and are at the mercy of FCA delivering them.

I'm waiting 2 months already while many others have had their radios replaced sooner. If you're still under warranty you're in luck. Otherwise, you may have only legal recourse.

Either way good luck.
FCA customer service is sub-par. Jeep cares may help but so far not for me....

Cudaconv

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
cram501:

I am not sure if it is the same issue however it is the same result.

My 2021 (Sept 2020 pickup) JLUR's GPS has more often than not been off course. Several trips to the dealer were not helping. Finally, the dealer ordered new radio which I am waiting for now. FCA refuses to accept this as an inherent problem and has not issued any statements. Dealers do not fix radios, just replace them and are at the mercy of FCA delivering them.

I'm waiting 2 months already while many others have had their radios replaced sooner. If you're still under warranty you're in luck. Otherwise, you may have only legal recourse.

Either way good luck.
FCA customer service is sub-par. Jeep cares may help but so far not for me....
Fortunately I am still under warranty so I will give it a few more days before calling Jeep cares.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Fortunately I am still under warranty so I will give it a few more days before calling Jeep cares.
My radio is under warranty. It is expected to arrive around ~8 weeks after it was first reported. It isn't much of a warranty if you have to wait months for parts. I've contacted Jeep Cares to see if they can expedite the delivery.

Big Red Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ; 2014 FLHTK
Well after 8 weeks, my radio is at the dealer. Install is tomorrow. Hope this goes well šŸ„“...

Sponsored

Helajames

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
I guess I am the latest with this issue, notified it last week, i do not use the nave very often as I usually use CARPLAY.

I have a 2018 with 43k so i am out of warranty, I have never had an issue with this vehicle so I am not familiar with the process. Is this being fixed out of warranty yet?

Thanks

Jim

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
I guess I am the latest with this issue, notified it last week, i do not use the nave very often as I usually use CARPLAY.

I have a 2018 with 43k so i am out of warranty, I have never had an issue with this vehicle so I am not familiar with the process. Is this being fixed out of warranty yet?

Thanks

Jim
Iā€™m nearly identical to you Jim. I have a 2018 JLUR thatā€™s now at around 45k miles. Iā€™m waiting for the parts for the latest clutch recall to take it in and will report once I see what they say in my case.

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Still waiting on a radio ordered March 15. Called dealer, not much they can do. Wonder if the chip shortage is playing a part, but theyā€™re still making Jeeps so I guess the folks with defective units are not a priority.

Last edited:

Big Red Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ; 2014 FLHTK
It took FCA 8 weeks to get the radio to my dealer! Knock on wood -I have had no issues.

I have no idea why sooooo many have the exact same issue and FCA doesn't address it promptly.
I contacted Jeep Cares early on for this issue. I'm not sure what they can do as they only helped with updates every two weeks. šŸ˜ž

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hey everyone--

Sorry to hear about that, but know that we hear your concerns! If you're ever working with one of our certified dealers to get this addressed and would like additional support, our @JeepCares team is always here to help! Just reach out to us via private messages with your model year & make so we can look into it.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Sponsored