Sponsored

GPS issues

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Check out this thread, someone has figured out how to replace the air card. Great info if this happens out of warranty.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-with-dash-compass-and-gps.30477/post-1255594
Be careful doing this as well.

The aircard is incredibly easy to swap out, but I believe it needs to have the same software version flashed on it as your radio. One of the reasons why updates and reversions fail on the UConnect when the aircard is dead is because it updates the aircard, too. The update process doesn't have any kind of contingency for a bad aircard which is why you get stuck in a bootloop.

I originally swapped my dead aircard with another one from a 2020 Challenger. The aircard was exactly the same part number and hardware revision. It did work, initially, but would lose altimeter data after a few minutes. However, the card was fine. It never lost connection to 4G towers, so it wasn't going bad. I tried flashing an update to my radio and it failed exactly as it would have with a dead aircard.

The UConnect software varies between FCA's brands based on vehicle performance features, despite it looking and operating the same, but I don't believe aircards are as plug and play as we think. It's still possible I managed to get another bad aircard, but this radio was practically brand new and the altimeter data always worked for the first few minutes, but would stop afterwards like clockwork.

I made a post about doing surgery on my radio, but this was prior to noticing the altimeter issue: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...th-dead-navigation-using-a-uas-as-parts.59137
Sponsored

Last edited:

wyobob44

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 , 17 Indian Chieftain, 12 Ford F-350 Dually 4X4, 74 Jeep Wangoneer
Occupation
Retired
went to my dealer, they checked out my radio, no wifi connection, no gps, they ordered new radio, said the 4G LTE air card bad, now waiting for the new unit..Juneks in Spearfish SD a great dealer

Big Red Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ; 2014 FLHTK
went to my dealer, they checked out my radio, no wifi connection, no gps, they ordered new radio, said the 4G LTE air card bad, now waiting for the new unit..Juneks in Spearfish SD a great dealer
Same issue with mine too. Dealer ordered a new radio. 5 weeks waiting already...

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Great. Iā€™m out of warranty on mine. Anyone have any luck getting them to cover? Whatā€™s the cost of out of warranty?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Great. Iā€™m out of warranty on mine. Anyone have any luck getting them to cover? Whatā€™s the cost of out of warranty?
How far out of warranty are you? You might be able to make a case with a dealership or even @JeepCares. These units eating shit after just a couple of years is unacceptable, regardless of warranty.

Worst case scenario is you have to buy an entirely new radio which they run a hair under $2,000. You can also ship your unit to Infotainment.com and get the aircard replaced for around $500.

Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
How far out of warranty are you? You might be able to make a case with a dealership or even @JeepCares. These units eating shit after just a couple of years is unacceptable, regardless of warranty.

Worst case scenario is you have to buy an entirely new radio which they run a hair under $2,000. You can also ship your unit to Infotainment.com and get the aircard replaced for around $500.
Iā€™m at 43k miles and 3 years will be April. I agree itā€™s unacceptable. I understand nothing lasts forever but I donā€™t consider a car radio disposable and am not excited about a $2k spend if they wonā€™t cover. It shouldnā€™t have this issue. Thnx for the info.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Hi All: I thought I would do a follow up post on my GPS issue that occurred after the recent OTA software update. I had posted about the issue where after 6 to 10 miles the Icon drifts away from the road that it supposed to be on. The more turns and more miles, the further it gets away from my actual road location. I tried all of the suggestions I could find on the forum about trying to reboot the system, fuse pulls, unhook the batteries, pushing and holding various buttons on the dash and steering wheel, and one of driving in tight counter clockwise circle for 5 turns followed by having my door open for 2 minutes. All this did not work for me. I set up an appointment to have my vehicle checked out at Champion Jeep in Lansing, MI (purchase dealer). I received two phone calls prior to the appt that Jeep was sending a tech in from somewhere to also check it out and download information. The unit failed for them as they drove the Jeep, as I described above. The tech stated the air-card appears to be corrupted, but they want the software engineer to look at the findings before final answer. It appears I am now headed for the 8.4 radio unit replacement. Just want to say "Kudos" to Phillip in their service department and the tech. They were very nice to work with on this issue.

Halterra

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Jeep
I have a 2018 JLU and just discovered my GPS shows I'm 131 km south east from where I'm sitting. Soft reset did nothing. Dealer says to disconnect battery and wait 20 mins for hard reset. I could use my phone - but my Jeep came with GPS and I want what I paid for.

Just read this and will check the 4G connection. If I see connection I'll do the hard reset this weekend. If not - I'll talk to the dealer.

Good to know others see the same issue.

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Well I discovered that my GPS navigation was not working last week. I was about 65 miles from home and set the navigation to home. The unit said I had 102 miles to go and that it would take 6 hours and 23 minutes. In addition, all the way home it indicated I was on an unpaved road. I thought my unit was a one off until I read this thread this morning. Luckily my JLUR goes in for service tomorrow. We shall see what the dealer indicates.

Big Red Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ; 2014 FLHTK
Well I discovered that my GPS navigation was not working last week. I was about 65 miles from home and set the navigation to home. The unit said I had 102 miles to go and that it would take 6 hours and 23 minutes. In addition, all the way home it indicated I was on an unpaved road. I thought my unit was a one off until I read this thread this morning. Luckily my JLUR goes in for service tomorrow. We shall see what the dealer indicates.
Good luck.
Same issues with so many Jeep owners. I may be wrong but it appears that the only solution (and I am not sure it works long term) that the dealers can do is replace the radio.
Keep us posted....

Sponsored

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
The dealer is going to order a new radio unit. The tech indicated that they were already waiting two weeks for a unit so couldn't give me any clue as to when one might be available.

Big Red Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ; 2014 FLHTK
The dealer is going to order a new radio unit. The tech indicated that they were already waiting two weeks for a unit so couldn't give me any clue as to when one might be available.
I've been waiting 6 weeks nowšŸ˜ž

RLW007

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
My new radio and navigation unit arrived in only 2 weeks. It was replaced amd updated. Works again. I had 34,500 miles on it. Barely under warranty. Dealer was very good with no questions asked. My jeep is highly modified with gears, coilovers, long arms and 37ā€™ tires. I was very pleased.

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Took the six-speed in for an oil change and the dealer ordered a new radio for the NAV malfunction. Said it would be about a week.

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Well suck. Count me in on the shown GPS location being off (not sure by how much maybe 10 miles). Went searching for a quick GPS reset but apparently needs new head unit? I don't use it very much but there are times when it has better maps that Google offroad. After taking over a year to get the backup camera replaced to fix the cold audio cut out problem fixed I'm not excited. At least I know what I'm getting into now....
Sponsored