Gorilla glass???

Farmer

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler jlu sport s
I've had a second career away from the farm for 18yrs as an automotive glass technician and I'll chime in on gorilla glass. It is a giant gimmick along with any coating or said warranty. Glass breaks It's the nature of the beast and the only warranty by anyone is the quality of the install against leaks. Just stick with a regular windshield.
Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Yes, it will break but it is less likely to than regular glass.

If that's important to you and you live somewhere where your windshield need to be replaced frequently, it can be important.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes, it will be break but it is less likely to than regular glass.

If that's important to you and you live somewhere where your windshield need to be replaced frequently, it can be important.
Now that it's widely available for the JL it'll be interesting to see how it's perceived by experience. So far, it looks like mixed reports.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Now that it's widely available for the JL it'll be interesting to see how it's perceived by experience. So far, it looks like mixed reports.
The problem is, how do you judge it?

If your Gorilla Glass windshield breaks, of course a regular glass windshield would’ve broken under the same circumstances.

However it is impossible to determine events where a regular windshield would’ve broken and the Gorilla Glass windshield did not; all you will see is people who are disappointed that their Gorilla Glass windshield did break.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The problem is, how do you judge it?

If your Gorilla Glass windshield breaks, of course a regular glass windshield would’ve broken under the same circumstances.

However it is impossible to determine events where a regular windshield would’ve broken and the Gorilla Glass windshield did not; all you will see is people who are disappointed that their Gorilla Glass windshield did break.
Exactly. There's just no way to quantify the impact that causes each event where windshields get hit in actual road use. So, we'll really never know if a GG windshield equals less broken windshields to an individual, because his experience is not big/broad enough to be statistically significant.

But we will also never know if it is more durable enough to make a statistically significant impact (pun) on the entire population of JLs equipped with GG.

For these reasons, I'm not inclined to buy a GG windshield. I will buy the cheapest acceptable windshields I can find. No ordering and waiting, no insurance assessments, nada. Just cheap. ( I paid $175 for the last one, replaced in about an hour same day).

Sponsored

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
Like anything else, test in a lab first.

I think a point being missed that's leading folks to think windshield GG is something it isn't is that GG is on the _inside_, not the outside (even the brochure states this). The exterior will still chip and crack pretty much as regular windshields do but the interior (the more important part, since that's where we're sitting--hopefully) won't; the third video explains and demonstrates it well.

Third video:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ed-by-the-mythbusters-video-89172.html#agal_0

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
The Jeep I found happened to come with it. I wouldn't have sought it out before and I certainly wouldn't now after the price increase. At least you get a cool easter egg out of it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gorilla glass??? CC9573C1-9D38-465D-AFE3-37E7B2FE412E

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
In 3 years I have been lucky to only replace one windshield on my JLUR. I have zero comprehensive which means it costs me nothing. I’ll stay with regular glass and hope for best.
Sponsored