First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 4Runner, 2022 Rubi
Occupation
SRNA
Looking at this wrangler tomorrow. As long as it’s clean, no rust , is this a good deal? 1 owner, California lived only
Jeep Wrangler JL Good deal? 3445FD23-699B-44C8-88DA-49A8517229A0
Sponsored

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I'm not fluent in TJ, but that seems really expensive to me. I bought a 2013 JK in 2017 w/ 60k for the same price, and a 2018 JL in 2021 with 22k and a hell of alot more options for about $10k more.

Not to mention those wheels/tires would have to go...

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
They are 100% taking advantage of today's market - and can't blame them. I can't predict the future, but I can't imagine prices staying this high

Put it this way - this would have been $6K-$8K 2 years ago.

It's an "X" package which in TJ speak was the 2nd up form the bottom in regards to package value. It most likely has a D35 rear. Looks like someone put a 2" budget boost lift on it.

Your call -but it my mind it's really high-priced for what you're getting, but probably realistic considering what people are paying nowadays.

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Final year TJ. They are bringing big bucks, and have always had a strong value. X package is the lowest trim with a 4.0.

The wheels are aweful, the top looks worn. If the rest of the Jeep is super clean and unmodified (other than the suspension obviously) make an offer.

That price here would get you an stock, unmodified hard top with AC. Mods are detrimental to value in the long term, as they age poorly. when trends change. Those 20” wheels look really wrong.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Seems pricey.

I recently saw a 2001 Sahara with 67,000 miles, great shape, hardtop, 4.0L, manual transmission, for $18,000.

Sponsored

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Dealership probably bought it for under 10k. There should be plenty of room to negotiate. It’s a last year tj, looks clean, and under 100k miles. With all that being said, I’d offer them 13k and see where it goes.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@JeepeRN

$18K?

Mm. That TJ could be showroom stock (my preference) and showroom clean, and I'd still rebuff the dealer's ask here.

No doubt there's bargaining room, but current market conditions means the seller has an almost absolute advantage here. E.g., Vroom's offers for our used JLs sometimes being more than we paid aren't occurring in a vacuum.

Personally, I'd walk, doubly so if I had a new JL on order as you do.

Best of luck with however you decide to proceed.

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
Too high IMO. That is high end LJ pricing. Also, those years are subject to internal frame rust. Take someone who knows TJs if you are not aware what to look for.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
$18K?

Mm. That TJ could be showroom stock (my preference) and showroom clean, and I'd still rebuff the dealer's ask here.
That's damn close to what it did cost bone stock when new. My 98 Sport was around $20K and it had a hard top.

Look up TJ frame ruse and repairs so you know what you are looking at. Price says that shouldn't be a factor, but you never know. In today's crazy market, I am seeing similar prices. I've seen frame rotten engine blown 4cyl TJs where the starting ask was $8k. I hope they didn't get it.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Like others said it’s too high. There is a huge market for TJs near me and under 100k mileage is hard to find. But they are taking advantage of the current market.
My dad has a 2004 rubicon with 85k miles I have been trying to get my hands on! TJs are my weakness.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The market for TJ’s is nuts. I want one so bad. 10k is minimum for a decent piece of shit around here.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Here are my thoughts.

Used car prices are nuts. You’re going to pay a premium, more than a vehicle is worth in my opinion. My opinion is used car prices are 20% or more than they should be.

Interest rates are higher for used vehicles. If you’re paying cash, no matter. However, with good credit you may pay less in interest over the life of the loan. If it’s a short loan on a relatively small amount, then again, no matter. If however you are purchasing that Jeep knowing it’s a base model, look at the payment amount on a new base model Jeep. Yes, a new base 2D is almost $30k, but if the interest rate is less for a new vehicle, maybe your payments aren’t that different. The difference in a 15 year old TJ and a new JL though is vast and the amount of money paid between the two may not be as vast over the course of ownership.

If you anticipate owning the vehicle for a long time, well, you know you’re starting 15 years behind by purchasing that TJ rather than a new JL. Longevity will likely be better for the JL. Obviously it costs more, but how much more over the life of the vehicle. What does it cost to own per year for as long as you own it?

This may be a silly example, because there is really no way to know, but…

$18k over ten years = $1800/yr; $1200/yr in repairs and gas mileage difference between 15 years old and new

$30k over ten years = $3000/yr; no repairs

After 10 years the TJ is 25 years old; whereas, the JL is ten years old. How much are they worth if you want to sell them after ten years. How much are they worth to you as the owner. How comfortable have either been driving, what is your driving experience and does that have value to you?

I’m not saying the TJ isn’t a good choice, but that one is overpriced, no doubt. And another thing is, there are plenty of other considerations in what is of value between new and used.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The market for TJ’s is nuts. I want one so bad. 10k is minimum for a decent piece of shit around here.
Maybe 3 months ago, I watched as a cancer-ridden TJ that I had examined up close sold privately for $8K. Its condition was such that I might have donated it to a vo-tech school for the benefit of the students (just as a family friend did with their older Mitsubishi Eclipse.)

I was amused by the matching patina of fading and rust on everything: the hood-mounted hi lift jack, the garish aftermarket wheels, etc. It was "a picture", as our English friends might say.

The heart wants what the heart wants.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Too high IMO. That is high end LJ pricing. Also, those years are subject to internal frame rust. Take someone who knows TJs if you are not aware what to look for.
I haven’t priced a lot of LJs, but there is a place in town that regularly hunts down LJs and lists them for $30K+
Crazy used car market and dwindling LJs are leading to pricing above their original retail. Hell, some are approaching the prices of a new JL.

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
I haven’t priced a lot of LJs, but there is a place in town that regularly hunts down LJs and lists them for $30K+
Crazy used car market and dwindling LJs are leading to pricing above their original retail. Hell, some are approaching the prices of a new JL.
$30K for an LJ? Good luck. The market there is apparently F'd. I found one where I live this week with ~75K miles and nice, for 16K.
Sponsored