CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
So a new midland MXT575 has a whopping 50 watts - does that mean there’s simply more transmitting power?

Or does that also mean more watts will run theu connections, so the antenna will need to be further away from passengers to be safer?

Is there a higher risk of electrical fire?
There are no conclusive studies that demonstrate radio waves are harmful to your health. (Let's hope it's not the case as you are bombarded with them everyday!) Cell phones can transmit up to ~3-watts and they are literally AGAINST your head!

I also don't think there's a big risk of electrical fire - certainly not from the transmit side (coax, antenna, etc.) However, these high-power radios are going to consume a LOT more power. So, wiring them into the Jeep is important and needs to be done correctly and, of course using the proper fused connections.
Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I tried something new today. I have a 2 door with a soft top and I mounted the GMRS antenna on the sport bar, I got one of the 3.5 inch GMRS antennas and it fits with lots of room to spare on the top of the bar. There was already a hole in the bar so all I had to do was take the center dome light trim piece and the corner where the sport bar meets the bar going over the passenger door, the trim piece going over the passenger door and the one on the A pillar. Easy to route the cable that way.

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna Cable Run IMG_4839

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna Cable Run IMG_4846

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna Cable Run IMG_4845

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna Cable Run IMG_4844

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna Cable Run IMG_4840

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Nice! And it’s high too!
High and good ground plane. I tried it in my wife's JLU hard top and it won't fit a hard top (at least not the 4 door). But it should work with a soft top.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Here's another question - I recently purchased a Midland GMRS radio and I want to mount the Midland 3.5" antenna the same way @donmontalvo did HERE. My question is where's the best place to run the cable into the interior, as I have a manual trans and can't use the spot next to the master cylinder.

Sponsored

David P.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Here's another question - I recently purchased a Midland GMRS radio and I want to mount the Midland 3.5" antenna the same way @donmontalvo did HERE. My question is where's the best place to run the cable into the interior, as I have a manual trans and can't use the spot next to the master cylinder.
I think I saw a post somewhere that had someone going in thru the cowl, then leaning the windshield forward slightly to open up some space around the seal and dropping the line thru there behind the dash. It was either here or in one of the JL Facebook groups.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think I saw a post somewhere that had someone going in thru the cowl, then leaning the windshield forward slightly to open up some space around the seal and dropping the line thru there behind the dash. It was either here or in one of the JL Facebook groups.
Huh. I never considered that. Good idea. Thanks.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I've done that for running a data cable from my battery system into the cabin. I went through the passenger side. When I install my new GMRS antenna on the driver side cowl, I plan to do the same. It's tight, but much easier than going through the firewall IMHO.

Here are a few pics that will give you some sense of this approach.

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna Cable Run IMG_0381

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna Cable Run IMG_0386

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've done that for running a data cable from my battery system into the cabin. I went through the passenger side. When I install my new GMRS antenna on the driver side cowl, I plan to do the same. It's tight, but much easier than going through the firewall IMHO.
Very helpful, thank you. Now I'm just trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages of using either the drivers side or passenger side to mount the antenna. Don't want to buy the antenna mount until I figure that out. I think I will mount the radio to the drivers side of the console, not that I think that matters that much.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I just finished up the antenna install yesterday. It was a good project for a beautiful holiday weekend 🫡 🇺🇸

Taking the windshield down and going through the cowl makes for a very easy way to get into the cabin from hood area.

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna Cable Run IMG_1054

If you remove the speaker there is a lot of room underneath to get to the cable to route it correctly

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna Cable Run IMG_1045

Then you can easily come down in the door area behind this trim panel

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna Cable Run IMG_1047

Finally drop into the footwell area near the door electrical disconnects, and from there you can get anywhere in the cabin

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS Antenna Cable Run IMG_1048

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Very similar to how I did mine. LINK I did run mine down under the speaker though. It took a while to get it run that way, but it did work. Looks like your way was probably easier.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Very similar to how I did mine. LINK I did run mine down under the speaker though. It took a while to get it run that way, but it did work. Looks like your way was probably easier.
I tried at first to go down under the speaker and fish it through like you did, but was struggling and decided to start pulling trim panels to see what I could see. It really was very easy using the side panel on the dash.

I'm almost done with the radio install now (KG1000G, mounted in glove box). Initially I was going to use power and ground in the passenger footwell like I did with my CB, but I have decided to run directly to my aux battery to avoid any potential noise sources. So I have to take down the windshield and remove my cowl lights yet again. Probably should have thought that through last weekend. 😒 🤪 At least it's not hard to do...

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This youtuber installs a midland and stubby going through the passenger side cowl, through door crevice and through the dash. It looks pretty simple and is what a lot of you are talking about.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I installed a GMRS last weekend and put the GMRS unit in the glove box. I ran the cable across the cabin to the drivers side, through the little grommet, under the hood and to the passenger side where the antenna sits on the cowl. It turned out OK, but when I close the hood, it's a bit tight on the cable. I can still wiggle it with my fingers when closed, but wonder if this is going to be an issue later on.

What are your thoughts? Should I be looking at running it differently? The cable is run between the rubber hood seal and the cowl in that little tray.

Thanks!
I plan to run my CB antenna from my JL glove box across to the drive side footwell and then out the grommet to a driver side fender mount. Based on your experience, do you have any thoughts about what the length of my cave should be - 12’ or 18’? I would guess 12’.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I plan to run my CB antenna from my JL glove box across to the drive side footwell and then out the grommet to a driver side fender mount. Based on your experience, do you have any thoughts about what the length of my cave should be - 12’ or 18’? I would guess 12’.
I used 12' and it was just enough to run it that way for the passenger side cowl. 12' Should be more than enough for your run.
Sponsored