Sponsored

Getting a JL, never owned one.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Hello there!

I am now living in the country, in Eastern Quebec, and am now willing to purchase a JL to get where I want, when I want.

As you probably already guessed, inches of snow is quite frequent. I’d like a road focused JL with All-Terrain tires to have some fun every now and then.

So i’m going for a 3,6L Sport S with a manual transmission. I will check the lock diff box.

Am I going in the right direction?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, make sure you click on the Anti-Slip differential. It will make a huge difference in snow.

Sponsored

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Just a heads up, the hinges will begin to bubble and corrode within a year if you drive on salted roads.

Tyler88

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Just a heads up, the hinges will begin to bubble and corrode within a year if you drive on salted roads.
Not sure if that is a up north thing because I live in Florida not really near the Coast and my hinges are bubbling on my 2018 JL so I think it just eventually happens

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Hello there!

I am now living in the country, in Eastern Quebec, and am now willing to purchase a JL to get where I want, when I want.

As you probably already guessed, inches of snow is quite frequent. I’d like a road focused JL with All-Terrain tires to have some fun every now and then.

So i’m going for a 3,6L Sport S with a manual transmission. I will check the lock diff box.

Oui, vous l'êtes. Évitez également les phares à LED si vous conduisez régulièrement lorsqu'il neige à l'extérieur. Les lumières LED sont très froides et la neige a tendance à s'y accumuler. Mieux vaut rester halogène. Si vous n'avez pas besoin de conduire régulièrement lorsqu'il neige dehors, veuillez l'ignorer. Les LED sont généralement très bonnes (sauf pour la neige).

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I thought rusting cars were a thing of the past? Did not know Wranglers had rust issues. I had a cherokee from 1996 to 2006 and no rust and lots of winter driving on salted roads.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
welcome to the forum and congrats on getting a jl. first off you will be amazed on how capable the jl are in any terrain. you came to the right place to get bombarded (i mean that in a good way) with info and opinions. so read up on the forum and ask questions. we are here to help and have fun.

i have a base model 2 door sport with 3.6 and 8 speed auto. currently running stock tires and open diffs.. its my daily driver. this winter was pretty rough (compared to the past years). the jl had no problem driving thru the snow, slush, ice during my commuter to work. even when the roads wasnt plowed all that great or not plowed at all.

it sounds like your going to do more on road driving with a little off road. i would look at the sport, sport s, or the sahara. others will chime in as to whats options to look at since i went with a base model and skipped all the bells and whistles.

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Oui, vous l'êtes. Évitez également les phares à LED si vous conduisez régulièrement lorsqu'il neige à l'extérieur. Les lumières LED sont très froides et la neige a tendance à s'y accumuler. Mieux vaut rester halogène. Si vous n'avez pas besoin de conduire régulièrement lorsqu'il neige dehors, veuillez l'ignorer. Les LED sont généralement très bonnes (sauf pour la neige).
i haven’t found the LED too bad in the snow out here in Alberta. We get pretty cold and I haven’t had many issues. I don’t have the factory LED, though, I have the Oracle Oculus. The halogens are very dim compared to an LED.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
i haven’t found the LED too bad in the snow out here in Alberta. We get pretty cold and I haven’t had many issues. I don’t have the factory LED, though, I have the Oracle Oculus. The halogens are very dim compared to an LED.
They are dim versus stock LED but still are easier to deal with in snow and pass the minimum safety/brightness requirements regardless. I do know that there are aftermarket options like yours which are better.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
The Sport and Sport S are similar in terms of capability, just the S has more power options and wheel selections. Limited slip does help and is a low cost way to upgrade to All Terrain tires, but I imagine you will be using Winters, as it is the law there.

i did always imagine getting a manual, but they were hard to find. I ended up going for a 3.6/automatic combination. It is a very nice shifting automatic, so not a bad option.

i drive out to the mountains in the peak of winter. The JL, with winter tires in 4WD gets through some pretty bad conditions.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hello there!

Jérôme, que vous et votre Wrangler vous entendiez ainsi que nos pays respectifs aux frontières communes.

Jérôme, may you and your Wrangler get along as well as our respective countries with common borders have.
Sponsored