Sponsored

Seemingly Obsessed with Wranglers - But Have Never Owned One... Help!!

chris87114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I need help. Over the last ~ 2 years+, I've spent so much time on this forum and looking at Wranglers online, I'm beginning realize that there might be something wrong with me. :) Particularly since I don't own one and have never owned one.

About 2 years ago, I was looking to replace our 11 year old Acura with a new vehicle. At the time, the JLU/JLUR was in my top 3, but I had just started a new job with a long-ish commute (~ 29 miles each way) and settled in on a Honda Accord 2.0 Touring. It's been a great, problem-free commuter car but I remain obsessed with reading this forum and looking at buying wranglers online.

I've even toyed with the idea of testing the jeep waters sort to speak by purchasing a used JK, as a third vehicle to see how a jeep would fit our family before pulling the trigger on a new JL (which I think I'd be ultimately happier with).

Perhaps I just like torturing myself by continuing to look without doing anything more. Anyone else spend a bunch of time looking before ever buying a wrangler?
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I became obsessed after renting one on vacation. Rent one for a weekend. You'll know pretty quick if it is right for you.

OP
OP

chris87114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Funny you should mention that, I have reserved a 2017 Rubicon through Turo for a weekend trip to the mountains starting this Thursday. Unfortunately, the weather is predicted to be stormy on Thursday with severe weather possible, including large hail so I'm wondering if I should cancel that rental. It will be my first time using Turo and I really don't want to deal with hail damage on someone else's car.

OP
OP

chris87114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I rented a wrangler on a vacation in Mexico years ago and enjoyed it, but it was just my wife and I before we were married. I didn't have kids then or a long commute. Life is a little different now. Our family car is a Honda Odyssey. Part of my ongoing desire with a Jeep is due to the impact that COVID has had on us feeling trapped at home a lot (I still go into work every day as an essential worker, but kids and wife are at the house all the time) and likely a bit of a mid-life crisis if I'm being honest. I had sporty cars and motorcycles earlier in life. There's no way I have enough time away from the family to enjoy those right now so a jeep seems like something that we could share as a family.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re an outdoors person you can’t go wrong with a Jeep. If you remove/lower the roof and take off your doors before going off road, the Jeep literally becomes a toy.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you're approaching this level headed, so good on you!

you've probably already heard this before, but make sure to test the models that you are looking to purchase.

The JKs are great machines, but they do drive slightly differently than a JL. Just as the TJs drove before them.

I love my JL, but I'd also lie to say I don't miss my TJ. And I'd never turn down a well loved JK in good condition.

OP
OP

chris87114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
If you’re an outdoors person you can’t go wrong with a Jeep. If you remove/lower the roof and take off your doors before going off road, the Jeep literally becomes a toy.
Definitely an outdoors person. Pre-kids, used to spend all free time hiking, camping, mountain biking, skiing/snowboarding, etc. Now that kids are getting older (7 & 10) and can keep up with some of those activities, I hope to spend more time with them again.

OP
OP

chris87114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
And I'd never turn down a well loved JK in good condition.
About two years ago when I was just starting to look at jeeps, I test drove a 2016 JKU Sahara with only ~ 34K miles and was nicely optioned out (alpine/gps/dual tops/special edition). It did seem like the condition was a touch rough around the edges for how newish it still was (chip in hardtop, scratches, etc) and I was just starting to look at jeeps so I passed on buying it. Ironically, I wish I bought that one. Two years later, I have yet to see another example as nice as that one for the same or less money - even two years later. I could have almost driven it for free.

Sponsored

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
haha, these stories sound familiar....

We rented them in years past on our Hawaii trips and just loved the go anywhere nature they come with, but those were JK's.... last month we rented one from Ontario airport for a trip to Tahoe with big snow storm in the forecast and it was a pretty new JL nice granite gray Sahara and instantly recognized how much better the interior was compared to the antiquated JK's we were used to..
I quickly became fixated on how to get one....

Needless to say, with in a month of that trip I sold my 2016 2WD Explorer and put my order in on a custom spec JLUR.....I become obsessed with cars once in awhile and end up getting what I have been obsessing about, but nothing at the speed I did with this one....lol

Life is too short to wait around .....if you can pull it off, get one!!!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I need help. Over the last ~ 2 years+, I've spent so much time on this forum and looking at Wranglers online, I'm beginning realize that there might be something wrong with me. :) Particularly since I don't own one and have never owned one.

About 2 years ago, I was looking to replace our 11 year old Acura with a new vehicle. At the time, the JLU/JLUR was in my top 3, but I had just started a new job with a long-ish commute (~ 29 miles each way) and settled in on a Honda Accord 2.0 Touring. It's been a great, problem-free commuter car but I remain obsessed with reading this forum and looking at buying wranglers online.

I've even toyed with the idea of testing the jeep waters sort to speak by purchasing a used JK, as a third vehicle to see how a jeep would fit our family before pulling the trigger on a new JL (which I think I'd be ultimately happier with).

Perhaps I just like torturing myself by continuing to look without doing anything more. Anyone else spend a bunch of time looking before ever buying a wrangler?
I've been obsessed with Jeeps ever since childhood but never owned one. Sounds like you and me share similar experience and interests (extreme outdoors-man myself). Except I pulled the trigger on Dec of 2018. Loving my Jeep since.

I still turn my head to check it out several times after parking my Jeep as I walk away and know that I bought the right "car". Ahem. My other half often complains only if I looked at her the same way.

My advice? Don't wait, live the moment, time is money. If it's something you think you will do, do it now while you can. One day sooner is one day longer you get to enjoy it, that's priceless.

P.S. Also a properly optioned JL offers a much better experience than JK in my opinion. They can't really compare.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This is our 3rd Jeep, but was about 30 years between selling my CJ and buying our current 2019. Always wanted another one, just can't shake that "Jeep Itch".

And once you get it the fun is just beginning, limitless things you can do to them, and places you can travel with them. Having a family to share this journey makes it that much better :)

I think you're on your way to a happy future OP!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I’m on my 3rd Wrangler. All different generations. This gen is the most live able one yet. Until recently I was using it for a 27 mile one way commute and found it quite enjoyable, even with a 2 door. I have another position now only 12 miles from home.

The seat is very comfortable. Visibility is great. Ride, handling and noise are going to be your big differences. Not to mention the practicality and invisibility of an Accord. You may have a hard time adjusting to actually being noticed. Your sensibility may have a hard time justifying driving a 4 wheel drive box as a primary vehicle.

A used JK will only give you a rough idea of how it is to live with a Jeep as a JL is significantly different in many ways.

Rent one from an actual agency for a week and drive it as often as you can, that will give you a better idea.
Sponsored