Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning everyone,

I tried to contact "Genesis Offroad" to see if their dual battery kit would be compatible with our engines.

Genesis battery install

Basically they don't want to make any effort to find a solution. I suggested that they send me a kit (that I would pay only if it's OK) and see with them if small changes are needed. Their answer is simple, I order the kit and I manage to send the kit (but only unused) back home following their procedure. Of course at my own expense, so basically I order a kit (quite expensive anyway), I pay the shipping costs (since outside the USA, normal), I pay the various customs and other taxes and if there is a problem I still pay to send it back if I want to have a little chance to get a refund of the kit (but of course not of the other costs).

Anyway, I watched the video and with 4 bars it would be possible to have a first idea if this kit could be installed. I have a doubt about the length of the positive cable, because it seems that on the 3.6 liters this connector can be "disassembled" and "extended", it doesn't seem possible on our engines. I even have the idea to make myself an extension cable in solid copper to lengthen the connector a bit like in the video.

It's quite incredible, as there is a potential for them to access the European and Australian market (and maybe others?), but they don't want to take the risk to look with an interested person (me) and find a simple solution, or at least be able to answer clearly if their kit is compatible or not.

Would any of you have installed this kit successfully? Given the price of the kit + the two batteries + all other costs, I can't order it "just to try".

Thank you for your comments, ideas, advice and opinions.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I’ve installed their stuff. It’s perfect. When you’re talking about creating a new product for a market that they don’t even have access to the jeep, I can see why they’re apprehensivene. Their stuff is so well thought out that I don’t think they could replicate it based off pictures. They would have to get one in their shop and start the r&d. However, I don’t imagine the demand could warrant such an expense. I don’t even know what it looks like under the hood of a European spec Jeep. I think the steering components are completely different and y’all even have a different engine option

Brett

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Good morning everyone,

I tried to contact "Genesis Offroad" to see if their dual battery kit would be compatible with our engines.

Genesis battery install

Basically they don't want to make any effort to find a solution. I suggested that they send me a kit (that I would pay only if it's OK) and see with them if small changes are needed. Their answer is simple, I order the kit and I manage to send the kit (but only unused) back home following their procedure. Of course at my own expense, so basically I order a kit (quite expensive anyway), I pay the shipping costs (since outside the USA, normal), I pay the various customs and other taxes and if there is a problem I still pay to send it back if I want to have a little chance to get a refund of the kit (but of course not of the other costs).

Anyway, I watched the video and with 4 bars it would be possible to have a first idea if this kit could be installed. I have a doubt about the length of the positive cable, because it seems that on the 3.6 liters this connector can be "disassembled" and "extended", it doesn't seem possible on our engines. I even have the idea to make myself an extension cable in solid copper to lengthen the connector a bit like in the video.

It's quite incredible, as there is a potential for them to access the European and Australian market (and maybe others?), but they don't want to take the risk to look with an interested person (me) and find a simple solution, or at least be able to answer clearly if their kit is compatible or not.

Would any of you have installed this kit successfully? Given the price of the kit + the two batteries + all other costs, I can't order it "just to try".

Thank you for your comments, ideas, advice and opinions.

I installed their kit about 3 months ago. It has been working out great. Are the engines different in Switzerland than the United States? I had no idea. For us you need to take apart the shunt on the negative cable and flip it for it to reach the post.

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve installed their stuff. It’s perfect. When you’re talking about creating a new product for a market that they don’t even have access to the jeep, I can see why they’re apprehensivene. Their stuff is so well thought out that I don’t think they could replicate it based off pictures. They would have to get one in their shop and start the r&d. However, I don’t imagine the demand could warrant such an expense. I don’t even know what it looks like under the hood of a European spec Jeep. I think the steering components are completely different and y’all even have a different engine option

Brett
In Europe we have the 2.2 Diesel turbo (200 hp) and the location of some elements are different (we also have, as on your new 3.0 Diesel the extra tank for the "Adblue", at the rear and very badly placed).

I'm quite convinced that their kit could work on the 2.2 Diesel, but as they are not at all interested to look at it with an interested person (or persons), it's their vision for their company and it's none of my business.

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I installed their kit about 3 months ago. It has been working out great. Are the engines different in Switzerland than the United States? I had no idea. For us you need to take apart the shunt on the negative cable and flip it for it to reach the post.

Thanks Kevin for your answer, I would need these measures to see if it is possible to put the support in the available space.

In RED "firewall" and "Fender right"

Right now the only problem I see is the distance to point "B."

Thank you for your help ;) ... and bravo for your video it's even better than Genesis'.

Jeep Wrangler JL Genesis dual battery support

Sponsored

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
Since the 2.2L diesel isn't allowed to be sold to any NAFTA country, we cannot procure one to explore R&D. Protoyping is a very precise process especially with the incredibly tight tolerances in the JL engine bay, and testing is an extremely expensive process that can sometimes require multiple versions of the new part. To be completely honest, Stephane is the first person to reach out with this engine since it's inception. Without the vehicle in house, it is absolutely impossible to determine with certainty whether a production part will fit a vehicle it isn't designed to fit. We were asked to potentially modify an existing kit, send out a complete kit for free, or potentially design a new part "on the fly". We don't make these one at a time, so that is obviously not possible. This would be a great project for a local Swiss fabrication shop, but this isn't something Genesis can produce without tremendous expense. With the impossibility of getting a Jeep with this engine, the incredible expense we would have to absorb to produce a prototype and its ensueing versions, and the nearly non-existant demand, unfortunately this isn't something we can provide. Further, we don't provide blueprints or technical drawings of our products. The measurements and dimesnions being asked for aren't things we provide upon request.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think that "measurements" (like the ones I'm asking for) are not part of a "made in USA trade secret", in my opinion. And if I were Chinese I would simply buy you a kit to copy and make it...

There's someone in this forum who's going to give them to me. Need I say that I have absolutely no desire to make a "copy" of your kit (really no motivation for that), my request has always been to be able to say if this kit (as it is currently made) can be put or not with the 2.2 liters.

I think that the "negative" cable is not long enough, and it's in that sense that I could make a part to extend it (or maybe find the same part that is present on the positive cable and that you find in the video.

I may be the first to make such a request, let's just say there has to be a first. This engine is only available since the JL and here a lot of people don't modify anything of their Jeep ... Besides they also do absolutely nothing with the capabilities of such a vehicle, I even wonder why they buy a Wrangler !?

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
While I agree with you your overall post, I would point out that this is not rocket science.
If the the cable is too short... you can just attach a longer one.
It's just an a car electrical system. 12v DC.
It's super simple math and super easy to calculate and connect up this stuff.

In my opinion, you are WAY, WAY, WAY better off looking at any of the number of dual battery battery setups which are marketed and sold in Australia and South Africa. They are light years ahead of what's available in the US. Assuming you are interested in over-landing and not just a weekend in the bush.
There is literally no reason to buy the Genesis system for none US Wrangler. Those are designed for a different propose. Buy a proper dual battery setup.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
While I agree with you your overall post, I would point out that this is not rocket science.

In my opinion, you are WAY, WAY, WAY better off looking at any of the number of dual battery battery setups which are marketed and sold in Australia and South Africa. They are light years ahead of what's available in the US. Assuming you are interested in over-landing and not just a weekend in the bush.
There is literally no reason to buy the Genesis system for none US Wrangler. Those are designed for a different propose. Buy a proper dual battery setup.
Do you know of any "proper" dual battery setups that ARE available in the US? I have been interested in such a system but my knowledge on this subject is limited. And while the Genesis product seems good, if there is something better I would love to know about it. Thanks.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Do you know of any "proper" dual battery setups that ARE available in the US? I have been interested in such a system but my knowledge on this subject is limited. And while the Genesis product seems good, if there is something better I would love to know about it. Thanks.
I doubt that there is anything wrong with the Genesis. It seems to have plenty of good reviews.
In the states you have loads of options available to you though.
Maybe I misunderstood the OP, but I thought he was trying to get a product suited to the US variant of the 2.0 e-torque for use in the EU variant. It tends to be rather painful import process for automotive stuff from US to EU and the company also says that they basically dont recommend it.
The dual battery setups usually sold in Aus tend not to be vehicle specific. At least the ones I have seen.
REDARC for example has some good kit. Since it is from Aus, they import through UK, which for the moment at least makes thing easy. They even have a German site with a config tool.
They have the full program with solar panels and everything that hook into the dual charger / isolators.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your messages, do you have any links.

I really give up without any problem my idea to see if the Geneis kit works on the 2.2 liters given their desire not to give any indications or measurements.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for these links, but I couldn't find a bracket that fits in the engine compartment and to put two batteries for the 2.2 liters.

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)

Interestingly, I just did an overnight test drive of the JLUR with the 2.2L Turbo Diesel here in Australia. Then today I was watching a review of the JL with 3.0 EcoDiesel. I'm not sure if it was the camera, but the battery and air intake seem switched on USA vs. Euro/AU JL!!! On the one I test drove, the battery (when standing in front of the jeep's open hood) is on the right, and the air intake on the left. (The EcoDiesel seemed to have battery on the left - USA passenger side - and air intake on the right - USA drivers side).

I'm getting very used to Jeep and suppliers not providing much support for AU/Euro models (we just lost availability to Punk'in Orange BEFORE any Gladiators were delivered here... bloody monkey's F$$^%$ that one for Australia buyers.... sighs... But lucky for us Australia has a VERY strong Jeep community and plenty of very talented businesses making great kit (RedArc, ARB, Patriot Campers etc).

So I can understand by Genesis cannot help you as much as you think they should, but as stated before routing and changing the length of battery and starter cables should not be that big of a deal if that's your only concern.

Cheers,
CaptStarboard

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I took a closer look at the positive cable and there's also the same piece that can be shot (like in the video)

Now if I had measurements I could see better...
Sponsored