Sponsored

Generally, at what angle will Jeep roll over?

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
The roll on the display said I was driver high at like 26 going into Crawl Daddy at Rausch… that’s the worse I’ve felt on a 2.5” lift with 37s. No intention of trying to go more unless it’s with a spotter or spotters I absolutely trust!
Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I’ve been mid 20’s a number of times and it’s always seat puckering stuff, specially when pitch is in the teens. Having a good spotter on those kind of obstacles helps. Here is a good sketchy example. I don't remember the numbers but it was fun.

20210320-1.jpg

Last edited:

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
Generally, at what angle will Jeep roll over?

It can roll when the center of gravity transfers outside of the outer track of the tires.
This is the simplest answer.

To be a bit more specific, the Jeep has a vertical center of gravity. As weight is added to the top or high on the Jeep, the vertical center of gravity will be higher. The tires on the lower side act as a pivot point. Once the roll gets to the point that the vertical center of gravity is outside the pivot point, there's no coming back and it will roll.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I've had my JLUR at 26-28 degrees quite a few times and the first time I did that my sphincter could cut diamonds, but now it doesn't bother me like it did then. I tried looking this same question up after that first day of real wheeling and yeah there's no exact answer, but you'd think there would be a base number to go off of.

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have the Sport S with the 7" info screen.
I don't have off road pages.
My pitch and roll appears in the instrument panel. Yours might too.
I had the base model sport. Manual windows, doors, transmission, everything. Literally had to option the air conditioning 🤣. To be honest I didn’t feel kind like I was missing out. It was a great Jeep.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
The majority of roll overs I've seen happen when the vehicle moves in a way the driver isn't expecting; tire bouncing off an obstacle or sudden loss of traction and the vehicle turns sideways. What was pitch becomes roll and the momentum takes it over.

Be cautious with the skinny pedal when the rig is not flat.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Yesterday I was tilted enough to glance at the gage and it read 20*. It may have been a bit more before I looked. Im pretty sure my Rubi could go to 30* as it is stock height with slightly wider wheels/tires but mid 20s would for sure be the limit of my personal comfort zone.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I found a Range River academy article a while ago that said something like at 15 degrees it starts feeling uncomfortable and at 25 degrees your passengers want out.

last time we were at 25 my wife got out “to spot” and later said she felt nauseated. I’m glad she did though, she is an excellent spotter :)

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I found a Range River academy article a while ago that said something like at 15 degrees it starts feeling uncomfortable and at 25 degrees your passengers want out.

last time we were at 25 my wife got out “to spot” and later said she felt nauseated. I’m glad she did though, she is an excellent spotter :)
Can she do a 101 class for my wife? She usually just starts making shrill noises in the passenger seat

Sponsored

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
I’ve been mid 20’s a number of times and it’s always seat puckering stuff, specially when pitch is in the teens. Having a good spotter on those kind of obstacles helps. Here is a good sketchy example. I don't remember the numbers but it was fun.

Jeep Wrangler JL Generally, at what angle will Jeep roll over? 20210320-1
I’m a little uncomfortable just looking at this and pictures are usually underwhelming compared to the drivers seat feeling.

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

I’ve been to 30 maybe higher but I wasn’t watching the whole time. It was on this climb at hot springs. I was done with the off camber line so I went higher to try and level out which caused my passenger tire to be in the air. Should’ve stayed lower on the drivers side. This picture was taken with a 2.5 spacer lift. I have been off-roading since January and still struggle with off camber. I tend to always have the angle meter on the dash to comfort me when I start getting tippy. I call it my “sketcho-meter”
Jeep Wrangler JL Generally, at what angle will Jeep roll over? A1416D90-A4F6-4F3C-864D-8500462DD183

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’ve been to 30 maybe higher but I wasn’t watching the whole time. It was on this climb at hot springs. I was done with the off camber line so I went higher to try and level out which caused my passenger tire to be in the air. Should’ve stayed lower on the drivers side. This picture was taken with a 2.5 spacer lift. I have been off-roading since January and still struggle with off camber. I tend to always have the angle meter on the dash to comfort me when I start getting tippy. I call it my “sketcho-meter”
Jeep Wrangler JL Generally, at what angle will Jeep roll over? A1416D90-A4F6-4F3C-864D-8500462DD183
Looks like a ford bronco going over a mall speed bump at an angle 😂

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
Hey all!

I’ve been wondering at what angle I’d most likely roll my Jeep?

First time for me that I’ve been at such an angle in a vehicle and quite honestly I’m not sure I have the guts to go any higher. :whew: But still, just curious.

‘21 JLUR with AEV 2.5 DualSport and 35’s.

Thanks!
Jason
Am I the only one that wants to see if I can hit 30 degrees?
Sponsored