First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
And those metals are strip mined or quarried. Both of which are ugly and create incredible amount of dust and other particulate pollution. Subterranean mining is outdated except for deep earth extraction.
Sponsored

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
The demand for rare earth metals are definitely the bottleneck right, but something to remember is that 100% of lithium ion batteries is recyclable and reusable. Little or no cobalt is being used in todays batteries and the trend is continuing in that direction. Eventually the resources will mostly be “mined” where they’re being recycled.

At least the cobalt used in batteries is recoverable, the cobalt used to remove sulfur from gasoline is lost forever.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
General thoughts on ICE depreciation?

Once the ice melts, it's not worth much. ;)

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
When will I get rid of my ICE cars? Probably in 20 years or so or if it falls apart earlier than that. I’ll still probably buy a used ICE, I don’t see battery tech getting where I’d like it to be within the next 8 years to say nothing of the charging station situation. Mostly for road-tripping.

also we’ll need to see less than $10k EVs that people actually want to buy. A lot of people can’t even afford a $15k-$20k car.Plenty of people shopping in the $2000-$5000 dollar range

Edit: to say nothing of the towing situation as well.
100% agree. Between EV prices and our lacking infrastructure, it will take much longer than 2030.
I'm considering a PHEV/ EV Jeep for my "Next Jeep", but I don't see EV's becoming commonplace for a while.
And when you consider the term "carbon footprint" was more or less created to shift the responsibility to the individual consumer while various industries still consume copious amounts of fossil fuel and turn out exponentially more pollution than consumer vehicles- There are plenty of other areas that can tighten up first where we will see far more positive impact first. Because(as mentioned) there are plenty of people who can't afford EV/PHEV's even if they're used and have no other preferences.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
100-200 years
I live in Wisconsin and wouldn't really do well in an electric car that costs twice as much to purchase, takes an hour to refuel if I'm very lucky even though I'm not allowed to run it down to the bottom, and the classic only having half the battery life in a Wisconsin winter.
These are still a novelty at best here and in most other areas for rich people and men in dresses perhaps who want to show how "green" they are by moving the pollution away from his tailpipe and onto an aging grid that fails constantly already while still burning fossil fuels and pretending wind mills can possibly consistently generate power
Just sayin, Yes I understand some of those guys probably don't wear dresses, I just haven't met any yet.
Honestly, wouldn't you at the very least have a lawn mower engine as a backup so you wouldn't get stranded ?

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I'm going electric on my next street and dirt bike purchase, I think.
As for my recreational 4x4, I'll switch when I can carry extra electrons in a jug attached to my rear bumper so when I'm off road in the middle of nowhere I can refuel and get out of trouble. AND also when every gas station in the US has been converted to electric, and I can pull in and fuel up my battery in 5 minutes to 100% capacity, then and only then will I switch to an electric four wheeled vehicle.

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Some of the comments here are pretty good. I love the ones about infrastructure and grid……I’ve been to lots of towns without a gas station and most all of them had electricity. Don't forget the gas is underground in tanks usually. No electricity and the station can’t pump gas kinda a catch 22.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
As a firefighter going the through the emphasis our profession has on dealing with EVs lately I will definitely not be purchasing one especially for an off road vehicle. One wrong twist or jarring of the battery or a cracked housing and 3 days later you may burn your house down. On that note an EV vehicle takes more water to extinguish than a house fire. Tesla studies have found an EV vehicle fire takes 20,000 gallons of water to cool to a temperature that it can be towed. Crashed EV vehicles have been documented igniting days after a crash. That is why we have to monitor their temp for 45 minutes before allowing them to be towed and why salvage companies have standards that EVs involved in a crash must be stored away from buildings. A couple of weeks ago we had a cell phone that was bent and caught fire. It bubbled in a pail of water for hours due to thermal run away. We also had a damaged rechargeable vape pen battery ignite in a pocket burning the man’s leg and clothing.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
As a firefighter going the through the emphasis our profession has on dealing with EVs lately I will definitely not be purchasing one especially for an off road vehicle. One wrong twist or jarring of the battery or a cracked housing and 3 days later you may burn your house down.

<snip>
I've made some short- and long-term purchase decisions based on the counsel of my neighbor, who is a Lt. in our local VFD. You should hear his thoughts regarding residential rooftop solar panels, lol.

There's also the matter of extracting an entrapped patient; i.e., knowing exactly where to cut the A-pillar on an automobile to avoid an unwanted airbag deployment.

Finally, there's the stories that accompany the dispatch of our heavy rescue to accidents on the Interstate. I won't repeat any here, though, because they're usually sad.

Sponsored

Skyvet

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
I’ve posed this exact question on a Rivian forum so I thought it might be interesting to see the take from this forum.

I’m all in on EVs, so it might be a little more obvious what I think. I’ve had a few conversations with friends and family about when the depreciation graph for ice vehicles will get very steep and to my surprise most of them think little will change in this regard for quite a while.
With so many states that are looking to end ice passenger car sales by 2030-2035, and car loans that get stretched out 6 and 7 years…..When do you think you want to get rid of your ice cars?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/washington-state-plans-ban-non-electric-vehicles-2030-rcna21683
Thats 7.5 years away.
Might be the first of many states to want to be greener than their neighbor.
I will get rid of my ICE vehicles when they pry them from my ice cold dead hands

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The real problem with these EV's, it's that they are too darn fast. I've driven a Plaid equipped Tesla and trust me, I'd be dead in that thing within a month because it's too fast. I just drove a Tycan at Road Atlanta and it's pretty much on the same level.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Been wrong before, but I think that as we get closer to that time, and more and more people go electric, the negatives of EV might start surfacing and the transition will slow down. Also, as the transition really starts happening, gas producers should logically drop gas prices by a lot to fight back.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Been wrong before, but I think that as we get closer to that time, and more and more people go electric, the negatives of EV might start surfacing and the transition will slow down. Also, as the transition really starts happening, gas producers should logically drop gas prices by a lot to fight back.
On the other hand, the Oil companies or Saudis (what they currently are doing with Lucid) might invest in EV's for the future, cut back on oil for use in gasoline and diesel to keep the price up.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i find it very interesting that Saudi Arabia is investing as heavily in EVs as they have.

On the other hand, the Oil companies or Saudis (what they currently are doing with Lucid) might invest in EV's for the future, cut back on oil for use in gasoline and diesel to keep the price up.
Sponsored