Sponsored

Depreciation...?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The Difference between "Value" and "price" is that Value remains long after the Bling of Price has faded.
Wranglers have Value for as many reasons as there are owners. That "value" has been the driving force of this Forum, that's "Priceless" . Inflation and demand drives up price, Value is unique in that it keeps demand, hence price, high.
When I buy something, I'm thinking "what Value am I getting for my hard-earned money ?" In the case of a big ticket Item, how much debt am I willing to assume for this Value ? FCA has this balance between Price and Value perfectly combined in the Wrangler, it costs money to produce a quality product, and what we are willing to pay vindicates this balance.
Sponsored

dmeyerrph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Firecracker Red
It was a no brainer for me. I got 32K for my 2014 Polar JKU with 23K miles - and I paid 37K for it 3+ years ago.

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
And with regards to pricing, just look at the 4-Runner, currently very over-priced for old tech by most reviewers standards, however its solid reputation, high customer demand have kept resale value up with the Wrangler and Tacoma to this day. I see the JL doing the same even if the price sentiment is an issue.

It actually has very little to do with make/model/year etc and far more to do with supply/demand curve management and inventory control. Ultimately, the a vehicles market value is determined by supply. Factors to look at that are WAY more important than price are inventory supply, lease as percentage of sales and fleet sales. The two latter are the biggest determents to a vehicles worth down the road..

To keep it simple, if half the wrangler "sales" go into a lease portfolio and 10% go to the daily rental market, then it is very safe to say 60% of todays "sales" are coming back to market within a 36-48 month period. Now add in your retail sales that trade within this time period and as you can see, there will be an excessive supply of these vehicles that will have to be sold off. Excess in the auto business means price drop to move the iron. Now, dial those numbers way back and supply down the road diminishes, supporting higher values.

boxingfreddy

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I bought a 2012 JKU Sport new and recently lost it to Hurricane Harvey...still the smartest vehicle purchase I've made--I had so much positive equity in in after 5 years that I put $20 down on a 2018 JLU Sahara. That said, I was excited to get the JLU, although not crazy about the price being about $9K more than a fully equipped 2017 JKU Rubicon. Suffice to say I have been in the JLU since February 2018, and what started out as a $48k JLU now has a fair-market value of $37K; I have never seen a vehicle depreciate so quickly, and I'm very disappointed in this purchase now considering the amount of equity I've lost, and the possibility that I won't get that back after a few years.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
You're looking at the absolute steepest part of the depreciation curve, the first 6 months. It won't be comparable to the 5 years of depreciation you saw on your JKU, it will flatten out dramatically.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I bought a 2012 JKU Sport new and recently lost it to Hurricane Harvey...still the smartest vehicle purchase I've made--I had so much positive equity in in after 5 years that I put $20 down on a 2018 JLU Sahara. That said, I was excited to get the JLU, although not crazy about the price being about $9K more than a fully equipped 2017 JKU Rubicon. Suffice to say I have been in the JLU since February 2018, and what started out as a $48k JLU now has a fair-market value of $37K; I have never seen a vehicle depreciate so quickly, and I'm very disappointed in this purchase now considering the amount of equity I've lost, and the possibility that I won't get that back after a few years.
'Real' depreciation probably hasn't been nearly that bad. A $48k MSRP Sahara could be had for ~$44k (if you didn't shop around, then you paid more). I bet you could sell that Sahara private party for ~$40k. 10% depreciation during the first year of ownership is about as good as it gets for a non-limited-production model.
Sponsored