First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else. I am new to the Jeep community. Just bought a 2020 Rubicon Recon with the 2.0T automatic 8 speed. Since it is a turbo should I be using supreme has 91 octane or can I run 87 or 89? How will that affect the turbo engine?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Sponsored

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else. I am new to the Jeep community. Just bought a 2020 Rubicon Recon with the 2.0T automatic 8 speed. Since it is a turbo should I be using supreme has 91 octane or can I run 87 or 89? How will that affect the turbo engine?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I actually brought this up when I bought mine earlier it the year. The net of the posts was that most folks felt that it was a good idea and used the higher octane gas. I personally have been doing every other fill-up with 91.

OP
OP
dchemphill1

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I actually brought this up when I bought mine earlier it the year. The net of the posts was that most folks felt that it was a good idea and used the higher octane gas. I personally have been doing every other fill-up with 91.
Has that had an effect on performance or mileage?
Thanks

rotlex

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I have a 2020 with the 2.0T. Love it. I have just over 2k miles on it and have settled on top tier 87 octane fuel. The owners manual states 87 is all that is required, but that "optimal" performance can be had with 91 or above. (or something like that).

In 2k of driving, I noticed zero difference in fuel economy or performance when using different octanes. I have been averaging 22 overall and 25 highway with the 87. With that said, I don't use non top tier fuel but always fill up at Exxon, Shell etc.

Last edited:

boontis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2.0L
Have just over 3000km's on my 2020 JLU Sahara with the 2.0T. I've tried regular, mid and premium and can second the "no noticeable difference" in mileage or "butt in seat" feel. When the turbo spools up you get pushed back in the seat regardless:)

We bought in late August so haven't had really intense heat, but I've read that when it's really hot out you may get a slight knock with regular but the computer adjusts for that.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I’ll second the vote for 87 octane. Why would you willingly pay extra for fuel that the manufacturer does not require? I personally feel the petroleum industry makes enough off me without gaining them an extra 30-50 cents per gallon. My 20 2.0 has a touch over 2k miles and has never has a sniff of premium fuel. It runs great, will break the tires loose leaving a light anytime you wish, has no knocking or hesitation whatever and delivers excellent mpg’s. There is absolutely no reason or no way that I will ever run “premium” unless there is a need to, and thus far there is absolutely no need. Drive your Jeep on regular and see. Remember that 87 octane gas actually has MORE btu’s/gallon than premium.

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
Unless you notice some knock or detonation (can these things still happen nowadays?) I would try to run the 87, especially if Jeep says it's ok. :like::like:

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
Has that had an effect on performance or mileage?
Thanks
Some folks that commented on that thread indicating that they saw better mileage... me, not so much. My intent is mainly to try to run cleaner, more efficient gas to avoid any muck buildup issues because of the 2.0T since it's obvously a lil more sensitive than the V6. I've had the V6 on three prior Jeep's and never thought twice about using anything other than 87... but I'm choosing to at least do every other tank on 91 with this 2.0T. I'd rather aire on the side of caution until the 2.0T take get more runtime in the field like the V6 has had.

lzaffuto

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door Sport S Sarge Green
This is all IMO, but here goes. If saving money right now is all that matters to you, the manual states the engine is designed to use 87, so use 87 and go about your life. However... there is a reason that turbocharged engines typically require premium. You paid at least $30k+, maybe up to $60k+ depending on trim and options for your Jeep. Why not spend $5 more per fillup for better performance and peace of mind since it is recommended, especially in certain situations that would otherwise DAMAGE your engine if you used regular instead? Remember Jeep only cares how reliable your engine is while under warranty coverage. Just like "lifetime" transmission fluids.... "lifetime" of the warranty for the first owner.

Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I’ll second the vote for 87 octane. Why would you willingly pay extra for fuel that the manufacturer does not require? I personally feel the petroleum industry makes enough off me without gaining them an extra 30-50 cents per gallon. My 20 2.0 has a touch over 2k miles and has never has a sniff of premium fuel. It runs great, will break the tires loose leaving a light anytime you wish, has no knocking or hesitation whatever and delivers excellent mpg’s. There is absolutely no reason or no way that I will ever run “premium” unless there is a need to, and thus far there is absolutely no need. Drive your Jeep on regular and see. Remember that 87 octane gas actually has MORE btu’s/gallon than premium.
The bold is incorrect. All grades of gasoline have the same BTU, unless the ethanol content is different.
Any fuel without ethanol has higher BTU than a fuel with ethanol added.
In many areas, 91 octane is ethanol free, and therefore has higher BTU than 87 with 10% ethanol added.
93 octane "generally" has up to 10% ethanol added.
Many stations that have 89 and 91 no ethanol, the 89 will be 5% ethanol. And therefore more BTU than the 87 e10.