Terrible 2.0 gas mileage?

1. dustanner

dustanner Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle(s):
    Sting Gray 2018 JLUR 2.0T, 5th Jeep, first Wrangler!
    Liked:
    I have a 2018 JLUR, 2.0 with stock suspension and tires, steel bumpers, and winch(just added less than 100 miles ago)

After 1300 miles, ~600 highway the rest city, I’m averaging 13.4 MPG! (calculated by the Jeep) One of the main reasons I chose the 2.0 was for the fuel economy but this seems like a 3.6L average. No, I didn’t expect the stickered 22-24 but I did expect it to be in the high teens and maybe over 20 on the highway.

What are you averaging? Thanks!

2. plex

plex Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR Billet Silver
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Do you have a heavy foot or not? This thing is basically a file cabinet on wheels, go beyond 65 mph will drastically lower your mpg.

Many folks report MPG getting better with more miles, although 13 is a bit tard low even for a new one.

Mattius1337 and JLRoachicon like this.
  3. Greg H

Greg H Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
    Liked:
    Are you using the recommended 91 or higher octane gas? If not that will make a difference. How fast do you drive? My JLUR with the 3.6 gets low 21s on the highway on trips at 65 but drops to the mid 17s at 75mph.

Blackwing 55 and JLRoachicon like this.
  4. Too Smalls

Too Smalls Member

First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    Picked mine up yesterday. I was averaging 16 on the drive home. I know it’s real early so I’m expecting/hoping it will improve.

dustanner likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    dustanner

First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Somewhat heavy. 75-80 on the highway and some “turbo use” but nothing that I’d expect to impact the mpg this much.

6. OP
    OP
    dustanner

First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Yep, 91 other than the first tank as I assume the dealer used 87.

7. plex

plex Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR Billet Silver
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Yeah, 75-80 right there. It will impact your mpg that much, just remind yourself this is a box with 0 aerodynamics. Try 65-70, it should getting better.

FUHL and word302 like this.
  8. ads75

ads75 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2016 Acura RDX
    Liked:
    Hills will also kill mpg. Whenever I see someone post about great mpg, I always look at their location. Some parts of the country are much flatter than others.

Also, are you using regular or premium gas?

9. word302

word302 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JLU
    Liked:
    That's your problem. Anything above 60 and the MPGs start dropping off significantly. Check out a drag curve sometime. Drag goes up exponentially as speed increases. You're driving a lunchbox on wheels. I average 15 around town in my ruby. 3.6 with 37" tires.

JLRoachicon likes this.
  10. word302

word302 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JLU
    Liked:
    Also anytime that turbo kicks in take a look at your current mpg. I'm assuming it tanks immediately. At the speeds you're driving you'd probably get better mileage with the 3.6.

JLRoachicon and dustanner like this.
  11. JLRoachicon

JLRoachicon Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Marty
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo, 2019 Lexus NX 2.0t, 2006 Ducati 999S (RIP)
    Liked:
    Getting better gas mileage is a game. If you keep your MPG gauge displayed, you will see where your mileage drops. I am also getting around 14-15, but I have 37’s and I like to drive it. If you really want better gas mileage, yes 91 octane will help, but you definitely have to work at it.

12. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brandy
    Vehicle(s):
    17 JKU, 19 JL
    Liked:
    I've gotten in the habit of using my cruise because I know I have a lead foot. It makes a big difference for me, but I'm also in Ohio where there isn't much change in elevation. I have the 3.6 tho.

FLECK-5 and TexasNate like this.
  13. Rockreid

Rockreid Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rocky
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Liked:
    Anyone who gets a Wrangler (or Benz G-Wagon, or any other square box on wheels) for the fuel economy is barking up the wrong tree. With that being said 60-65mph seems to be the sweet spot for a Wrangler in regards to speed/mpg tradeoffs.

If mpg is more important than other factors perhaps a different vehicle in for you, nothing personal or insulting. There are loads of 5 seater SUVs engineered for much better fuel economy. For the really serious about mpg there are the electrics like the new Jag iPace (about 75mpg-e) or the upcoming 5 seater Tesla Model Y (guess about 90-100mpg-e) although the Jag is more money and the Tesla hasn’t released pricing or availability yet.

14. OP
    OP
    dustanner

First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    This is my 5th Jeep(first Wrangler). I certainly didn’t buy it for the fuel economy ha but I was hoping the 2.0 would fare better than a 3.6 no matter how I drove it.

Seven-gill and cjaama like this.
  15. Uhdinator

Uhdinator Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Sport HT, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    #15 Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    1. Give it another 2K for break in.

2. If you have a heavy foot....you are training the adaptive trans cont module to shift at higher rpm's. Higher shift points mean less mpg. You can reset the tran cont module by pulling the fuse for a minute, it resets the default shift points. Then drive with a light foot for awhile and see if it improves. Even my 2003 TJ had this feature and it would shift into high gear just driving in town when new. Over time it felt more peppy as the trans gradually adapted higher shift rpm due to quicker acceleration/more spirited driving. Guys that own Dodge Challenger Auto's also know this. Driving day to day city driving makes the trans adapt and after a month or so they have learned to pull the TCM fuse and then drive like a race car driver and it "wakes up" the performance.

3. I use cruise control as much as possible, even at 25-35mph zones. I notice that sometimes I leave my foot on the gas slightly and catch myself pushing on it slightly when in cruise. Even though I don't feel I'm pushing the pedal and not increasing speed.....when I move my foot...the MPG goes up slightly.

4. When not using cruise it is a natural habit for most to continue to increase speed slightly and pressing the gas more than needed to maintain speed. At some point you come up on slower traffic and realize you are going faster than you thought you were. Another cause for decreased MPG.

5. Install a 1971 mopar superbird nose cone on the front.

Yeeper, droadrunner and dustanner like this.