Gas in the 2.0T - Is my understanding correct?

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ, 95 YJ, 2019 JLU x2
I bought a 2020 JLUR Recon with 2.0L turbo (only engine available in Recon) and was concerned if driving on 87 octane would result in significantly lower performance than premium gasoline. I read the owner's manual and it stated that 87 octane can be used but for optimum performance, 91 octane is recommended. Therefore, I've maintained using regular gasoline after I drove off the dealer's lot for about 1.5 months. The 2.0L had great pep and the power was sufficient to make me smile. Curiously, I changed to 91 octane to see if there was any kind of marked change in performance. On premium gas, I noticed a TINY improvement in engine response and power. However, to be honest, if I had to make a comparison under a blind test evaluation, I probably could not tell you if I had been driving under regular or premium gasoline. Time and mileage will tell if using 87 octane results in a gradual decline in engine performance.
As long as your using top tier 87 the engine will run almost as well as on 91. I’ve done the same thing I switched to 91 for a month... mpg was just about the same and it was just as fun to drive running in 87 lol.

Advertisement

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
The Manuel also states that "Use of gasoline lower than recommended octane (91) can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

Has anyone had any experience where this has been the case?
But that is NOT what is stated in the 2020 manual. The 2020 specifically states the engine is designed to operate on 87 octane fuel. With a new Jeep, the 87 is fine.

LFS

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler UL Sport JL
But that is NOT what is stated in the 2020 manual. The 2020 specifically states the engine is designed to operate on 87 octane fuel. With a new Jeep, the 87 is fine.
My Wrangler is 2018 and that is what is stated in my manual. Interesting that it changed ....

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Wrangler is 2018 and that is what is stated in my manual. Interesting that it changed ....
Yeah, I “think” it was with the 20 models. I know for certain that my 20 JL clearly states that the engine was “designed to run on 87 octane”. I checked when I was buying and got the manual out. The dealership filled it with87 and I wanted to be sure they knew what they were doing.

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
I put 91 in my 2020 2.0T. Not necessary, but after spending nearly $60k on a vehicle, a few hundred dollars a year extra to run 91 vs 87 is a no-brainer.

Dusty

First Name
Russ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I think it's like engine oil. The OEM recommends Mobil 1 and you decide to use an off-brand oil instead that's $3.00 per quart cheaper. Then you run it out to 15,000 miles between fills. You should be money ahead, right? The engine probably won't last as long but you've saved $1,000 in oil changes alone!

Like dog food. Iams is expensive and it's just the same as, say, Equate Dog Chow, right? Iams is $20.00 and Equate is $6.00. You love your dog, of course, but $14.00 is $14.00!.

Spending $60,000 on a toy you'll spend another $10,000 on in trinkets, then take it through a field of boulders and mud trying to destroy it, and then fussing about whether you should be using 87 octane or 91 octane, that's just being silly, right?

Last edited:

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just rechecked my manual and noted something else, under the 3.6 fuel requirements there is ALSO a statement that light knocking is acceptable! Run whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy. I’ll run what the manufacturer says the engine was designed for. I’ve noted no knocking or signs of detonation. Engines runs very smooth and is very responsive on 87 octane fuel. It has more power than I’ll ever use (not planning on towing anything heavy) and gets great mileage for a Jeep. If you want to donate extra $$ to the oil company that’s your privilege. Me, they make enough when I buy regular😏

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
You can run oil a quart low too, imagine the savings there! And you only need 4 tires, matching spares are a waste of money.
I mean if that's what the manual said, it would probably be ok. But I doubt you will find that in the owner's manual. Whereas, in it you can see that it says the engine was designed to run on 87.

I guess if I had spent 60k on a vehicle and planned to keep it 10 years, maybe I might run 91 to make myself sleep better at night. But, I'm just renting mine and so anything past 3 years isn't my concern ;)

PLDJ1000

First Name
Pascal
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited
Running 87 in my 2.0L...

Best I can recommend is try to get top tier fuel (with detergents) and non-ethanol whenever possible. That will make you feel a little better.

I found that running higher octane made no difference in my Jeep. She runs beautiful and I am happy with the 2.0 Turbo.

If i find it being sluggish in the hot weather or with towing (as described in manual) I will up for Premium.

Don't let these kind of worries ruin the enjoyment of driving a Jeep on planet earth.

Advertisement

Morris 4x4 Center

Advertisement