Sponsored

Gas pump shutting off

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
Has anyone experienced or solved a reluctant gas tank? Depending on the pump I can’t lock the handle in the on position (even on the first notch) or it shuts off immediately. Lucky for me the tank is small because I have to hold it at a low flow. Experimenting with different levels of insertion with no luck. That’s what she said.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Had this happen a few times awhile back but went away and has been fine ever since

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have noticed the same thing. There is one gas station by my house which it is impossible to pump gas on the JL. There is a second one that gives me no trouble. No sure if one has older or different pumps, but even different pumps at the one station that gives issues doesn’t help.

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S(JL)
I had this happen to me for the first time last fill. (Canada) I normally hit up the chevron on my way home, but due to a collision on the road i had to detour and made it to an esso instead. With the fuel nozzle in, id pump 2-3 sec and then shutoff, and this was on a 10% full tank. i had to basically have the nozzle only 3/8" in the tank to get it to work. super weird. 2door sport S

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
LOL...YES. very rarely happened in my previous vehicles, but I've noticed it several times with the wrangle. Similar to another post, I actually had to leave a station once and change pumps another time.

So definitely happens way more than normal because I noticed it before I saw this post.

Sponsored

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Same thing with me. Seems to happen with older gas pumps but definitely annoying when you have to hit up 2 or 3 different ones to fill the tank...jeep thing?

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Has anyone experienced or solved a reluctant gas tank? Depending on the pump I can’t lock the handle in the on position (even on the first notch) or it shuts off immediately. Lucky for me the tank is small because I have to hold it at a low flow. Experimenting with different levels of insertion with no luck. That’s what she said.
Absolutely, happens at most but not all pumps for me. But every single Wrangler I have ever owned (and it's a stupidly high number) has had the same problem, to some degree. It's a jeep thing!

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
is it a Jeep thing or is there an anti shipon filter in the line causing issues?

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

is it a Jeep thing or is there an anti shipon filter in the line causing issues?
Well, to my defense if there is an anti siphon filter in the line, jeep put it there ... so it is still a jeep thing! :cwl:

All joking aside, I never thought of that, I always assumed it was something to do with the shape of the neck of the filler tube, but some type of filter could easily be the cause.

In my case, though, I've tried autofilling on the slowest setting and it still cuts off sometimes.

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
Well, to my defense if there is an anti siphon filter in the line, jeep put it there ... so it is still a jeep thing! :cwl:

All joking aside, I never thought of that, I always assumed it was something to do with the shape of the neck of the filler tube, but some type of filter could easily be the cause.

In my case, though, I've tried autofilling on the slowest setting and it still cuts off sometimes.
Definitely something going on with the filler neck. Won't gezinda

IMG_20180831_053925.jpg

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
*bump*

This happened to me today. I was down to 18 miles on the RTE. Tried to fill up and only got about 7 gallons when the pump shut off automatically. Tried again and got another gallon or so. After that, I couldn't get it to stay on for any length of time. Took forever to finally get it full. I kept watching the pump and when it got to 16 gallons I realized I had gone too far and had overfilled the tank and it was running out. I'm guessing there's a built-in reserve for the 17.2 gallon tank. Fortunately, I was getting a car wash right afterward.

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
There is a valve that lets air out of the tank as you fill it with gas. If it gets stuck closed, the air tries to come out the filler neck. That usually causes the pump to shut off much like if the tank was full. Also, if the gas is coming out too fast and its angled in the neck a certian way, you can get the same result. I have had to change those valves on an old 2007 Tahoe I owned and a car my son used to own.
Sponsored