Infotainment System Freezing/Shutting Off

kclemans

First Name
Kirsten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
The infotainment system in my 2018 Sahara will randomly freeze up and eventually shut off while driving. I've done all of the software updates but it keeps happening randomly. The dealership said there is an issue with the radio and quoted me over $1,000 to fix it. Any suggestions on potential fixes, or is it best to go through the dealer?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Any suggestions on potential fixes, or is it best to go through the dealer?
You can try popping the hood, fuse box cover and checking if all fuses and relays are properly seated. One by one, push down on each one. The JL Wrangler is known to ship from the factory with loose relays and fuses, which causes all types of weird electrical issues.

Unfortunately, if the radio is actually defective it's defective.

I see you have a 2018 and based on the dealer quoting you $1000, I assume your warranty is expired. Not much you can do at this point, other than pay to replace the OEM radio or go aftermarket. You might get lucky and find a used radio somewhere. They pop up on the marketplace here and on e-Bay.

OP
OP

kclemans

First Name
Kirsten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
You can try popping the hood, fuse box cover and checking if all fuses and relays are properly seated. One by one, push down on each one. The JL Wrangler is known to ship from the factory with loose relays and fuses, which causes all types of weird electrical issues.

Unfortunately, if the radio is actually defective it's defective.

I see you have a 2018 and based on the dealer quoting you $1000, I assume your warranty is expired. Not much you can do at this point, other than pay to replace the OEM radio or go aftermarket. You might get lucky and find a used radio somewhere. They pop up on the marketplace here and on e-Bay.
Thank you! I will definitely check the fuses before buying a new one. Unfortunately the warranty is up, but luckily I can install myself.

Appreciate your help!
Sponsored