Sponsored

Gas cap lock

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG, BMW G650GS
A locking gas cap never made much sense to me. None of my other cars have one and all previous car I’ve owned throughout the years didn’t either. Why would I need one on my Jeep all of a sudden. Do vandals and criminals only target jeeps? ‍♂
Plus if someone really wants to steal or contaminate your fuel they will do it with or without a locking cap.
All 10 of the non-Jeep vehicles I've owned had gas flaps that locked when the doors locked. It's a standard feature on all modern vehicles.
Sponsored

JLmartacus

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone using the part number
82215184 with your 2019 key fob? Contacted a selller on eBay and they claim it can’t be coded to a 2019 key. I have a 2019 Moab if they matters. Thanks
I just ordered from Amazon. $69.90 with Prime shipping. Will need to code myself but looks to be fairly easy after watching the Quadratec video.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BQG4JHZ

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I bought mine and it came missing springs and tumblers, no returns. 🤧🔫

Deleted member 53226

A locking gas cap never made much sense to me. None of my other cars have one and all previous car I’ve owned throughout the years didn’t either. Why would I need one on my Jeep all of a sudden. Do vandals and criminals only target jeeps? ‍♂
Plus if someone really wants to steal or contaminate your fuel they will do it with or without a locking cap.
Honest ? and totally ignorant on my part....why do I want a locking gas cap? I haven't ever had a locking gas cap on any car. I'm always up for a mod, but someone please help me change a "want" to a "need".
Because for some reason people love to mess with Jeeps. In addition to the fan-favorite of slicing the plastic widows on the soft tops, there are plenty of kids and others who think its fun to pour sugar in a Jeep's tank. Don't know why, but that's how it is.

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase
A friend has marbles in his tank 😅

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
A locking gas cap is a must-have in my opinion, regardless of the vehicle type and regardless of whether you live in Mayberry or downtown Beirut. In my early years driving old vehicles without this no-brainer feature, I had gas siphoned out of my tank multiple times and other items crammed down the filler tube. Aside from the $$$ lost in stolen gas, the latter issue cost me thousands of dollars, and I would have gladly paid the relatively miniscule price for a locking gas cap; if nothing else, it's good peace of mind. And BTW...I lived in a "Mayberry" when this happened, so it can occur anywhere. Might as well get a good solid hood lock while you're at it too. Apparently, the same folks who like to fiddle with your gas tank also enjoy messing with your engine too! Be prepared and just spend the few bucks to protect your investment. Believe me from experience...you'll feel really stupid paying thousands for repairs, knowing you could have prevented it by dropping a few bucks on a locking cap.

Gotta admit, it's pretty funny to see Jeeps all decked out with thousands of dollars worth of Tuffy lock boxes, gun safes, cargo decks, and other "security" features, while completely omitting a cheapo hood lock and gas cap. Those last two provide your greatest ROI when it comes to Jeep security, and yet they seem to be the most overlooked. I don't get it.

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have no idea where some of you live but I personally have not used any type of locking gas tank on a vehicle in like 20 years, my JL is garage kept and I park in a gated garage where I work but even 10+ years ago when my vehicles were parked outside I never had an issue with ppl stealing gas from my tank or having crap dumped in my tank, maybe I’m lucky.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I have no idea where some of you live but I personally have not used any type of locking gas tank on a vehicle in like 20 years, my JL is garage kept and I park in a gated garage where I work but even 10+ years ago when my vehicles were parked outside I never had an issue with ppl stealing gas from my tank or having crap dumped in my tank, maybe I’m lucky.
I don't think that you're lucky. My experience mirrors yours.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Also I don’t have a hood lock either, not sure what they could take from under the hood but if it’s my battery they are after it’s going to take them a few extra tools as I have a dual battery system by Genesis so not just one pos and negative cable to disconnect.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Fortunately, I think your experience is similar to most of us nowadays, as these misfortunes occurred many years ago, and not always in Mayberry. One of the three gas thefts occurred in a truck stop parking lot, and the other when I was parked just off of a trail where I was hiking. I'm not saying it is a probability that this will happen to anyone, but it is most certainly a possibility, and one that can be easily and cheaply prevented. Hopefully nobody ever has to experience this, but it will leave you feeling frustrated when you could have avoided the expense and trouble by just dropping a few bucks on a locking gas cap. To each his/her own though, and best of luck.

Sponsored

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase

gregg3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I ordered Mopar part 68357474AB for my 2018 JLU 3.6L gas Jeep. When looking at the Quadratec video in this link it looks very similar to the parts I have but in the link it mentions only Mopar part 82215184. Is the process in the video the same for Mopar part 68357474AB?
Thank you.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
And here we find ourselves in a gas crisis once again...look for it to get worse.. MUCH worse.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have the locking hood and gas cap. I plan to keep mine a long time so a minor cost. Mine is in the garage most of the time but I'm old enough to have experienced gas theft back in the 70's when prices jumped and no vehicle had a locking gas cap. We'll be at $4 gallon soon (California laughs) and I'll bet the guys checking car doors late at night might begin targeting the very few known models that don't have locking gas caps.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I just paid $4.39/gal for prem here in Denver. We're also now the car theft capital of the US.
Sponsored