flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I own a '21 2-door JL Sport, and have been trying to purchase a locking gas cap that can be keyed to match my vehicle key. Seems like this should be a no-brainer, as the programmable gas cap is available from multiple sources, including Amazon:

Amazon.com: Mopar 82215184 Jeep Wrangler Locking Gas Cap: Automotive

Despite the cap's wide availability, several third party retailers and five different Jeep dealerships advised that it isn't compatible with my specific VIN because my key is laser-cut, and this cap only accommodates traditional grooved/ridged keys that apparently came with earlier JLs. Since this cap is always listed as being compatible with 2021 JLs, I suspect that the key change may have occurred sometime during the 2021 production year, but nobody seems to know for sure.

Regardless, just reaching out and see if anyone is using this cap with a laser-cut key, and if there are other locking cap alternatives out there. For now, I am just using a locking gas cap with a separate key, but it is annoying to have a key attached to an already bulky fob. Appreciate your feedback and recommendations as always.
Sponsored