Sponsored

Locking Gas Cap

icecreamw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just an FYI should others wonder....

The gas cap on the new JL is the same as previous years. I have to leave my Jeep in some questionable places and wanted the piece of mind. Went to a couple parts stores but no one could confirm or deny what parts fit the new JL.

I just decided to try the one Walmart sells (Stant 10508) and it works.

I also bought a cam lock off Amazon and was going to mod the fuel door to make it lock but got cold feet with the drill in hand.
How often is fuel stolen from Jeeps in America?

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
How often is fuel stolen from Jeeps in America?
When it is only the cost of a generic lock, it's worth the price. If you are paying as much as MOPAR wants for their gas cap, it's not worth it to me. I have a locking gas cap around my garage *somewhere* and if I stumble across it, I'll probably put it on my JL just because I have it.

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
So the cap is the same, what about a fuel filler door? can they interchange between 2017 JK and 2018 JL?​

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
@Archer85
No, you absolutely cannot.
Thank you! I've only seen two options for the JL specifically, and both are over $100. Tons of good $50 options but just for JK, so i guess i gotta wait for more options to become available for the JL, ugh.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that one too, still right around $100 and i was hoping for the flat all black one with no writing on it. But this looks like the only option so far, either take it or leave it i guess.
Probably just a case of companies wanting to recoup their development costs and make as much money as possible when the vehicle is new. Give it a couple of years and the competition will show up with $10 units and the prices will come down. I see aluminum ones for the JK listed on eBay for $10 right now and there's no reason that the ones for the JL should be that much more expensive. And the ones that I see on eBay are being sold by American sellers, but I don't know where they are manufactured. But then again, we might not know where the Mopar ones are manufactured either.

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Probably just a case of companies wanting to recoup their development costs and make as much money as possible when the vehicle is new. Give it a couple of years and the competition will show up with $10 units and the prices will come down. I see aluminum ones for the JK listed on eBay for $10 right now and there's no reason that the ones for the JL should be that much more expensive. And the ones that I see on eBay are being sold by American sellers, but I don't know where they are manufactured. But then again, we might not know where the Mopar ones are manufactured either.
Yea i saw those too, one had an all white american flag on it, for like $20, which would be great. I dont want to wait years for a gas cap haha, i wish they had more options for the JL, but this is to be expected i guess.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yea i saw those too, one had an all white american flag on it, for like $20, which would be great. I dont want to wait years for a gas cap haha, i wish they had more options for the JL, but this is to be expected i guess.
Well, for $10, you could take a gamble and see if you could retrofit it to the JL. They apparently screw on, so maybe the size and profile is such that you can create a backing plate for it to screw into. You might need longer machine screws.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I honestly did not think many ppl stole gas from tanks anymore, I have had lots of vehicles and not one of them has had a locking cap or door but I normally don’t park in areas where some crac head will stick a hose into my tank to steal gas, also I have considered adding a locking hood but honestly what could be stolen from under the hood, maybe the battery ?
As mentioned in other threads, it isn't about people stealing gas, it is about a-holes putting foreign substances into the gas tank. Some people posted examples of that happening to them in the threads.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As mentioned in other threads, it isn't about people stealing gas, it is about a-holes putting foreign substances into the gas tank. Some people posted examples of that happening to them in the threads.
Preferred method by low life's, to steal gas these days (with new vehicles and their anti-siphon set-up) is an ice pick hole into bottom of gas tank and then a punch to that hole and you drain gas into a container. I had over a 100 gal. taken this way on my Class A, RV a few years back

As for putting foreign stuff into tank. Yes, locking cap will keep that at bay... kinda.

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I just want a lockable gas cap cover that can be re-keyed to use my existing key fob.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just want a lockable gas cap cover that can be re-keyed to use my existing key fob.
@Sgt Beavis
There is a Mopar locking gas cap that can be keyed alike to your fob key. There is no such animal in regard to a fuel door and I doubt you will ever see such an animal.
Sponsored