gas can

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
Agreed Jeff, G-d of the Wrangler modification!;) (That was a complement for those who don't know of Jeff's work with modular hard tops. https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...g-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/ and not to hijack this thread. )...
Thanks :). BTW I've been looking for a damaged JL hardtop that I can use to do a tutorial on how to convert a JL hardtop to modular, so if anyone knows of any around, let me know. I can fix pretty much whatever damage a hardtop has while I'm doing the conversion, so condition isn't too important.
Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
There probably isn't a 100% safe place to carry gasoline
I absolutely agree.

2. Cans should empty be until the "last mile".
Cans should be emptied into the tank at the first opportunity
My issue with this is when you're dealing with petro and not diesel, the fumes are often worse as they can explode. You could argue this is the least safe -- especially if pressure has built up from sitting in the sun on the outside of a vehicle. And, many plastic containers are no longer vented to prevent pressure in order to be EPA friendly. I don't know if Rotopax have pressure-release vents or not.

I'd also add that the back driver's window area and a rack above are IMHO the two safest places
As quoted above, there's not a safe 100% safe place. My issue with gas on the roof is now you have dripping fire liquid all over your car if there's an issue.

So where are we left? Roof? Dripping fire. Near a door? Can't evacuate. On the bumper? More likely to see damage to the container (rear-ended). This leaves an expanded gas tank under the car, in/on a rear window, or inside the jeep (rollbar, trunk, etc).

Or, accept the risk and carry it where you want.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I absolutely agree.

My issue with this is when you're dealing with petro and not diesel, the fumes are often worse as they can explode. You could argue this is the least safe -- especially if pressure has built up from sitting in the sun on the outside of a vehicle. And, many plastic containers are no longer vented to prevent pressure in order to be EPA friendly. I don't know if Rotopax have pressure-release vents or not.
Rotopax do not have vents, in fact you can void the warranty if you don't vent them manually, this is from the Rotopax web site:

We recommend venting fuel packs daily based on temperature and elevation changes, we will not warranty packs that have not been vented.
I suppose bulging could be dangerous, if one bulges enough to need to be replaced under a warranty it's likely leaking.

And this is what can happen if you don't regularly vent a Rotopax:

RotopaxBulge4_zpsbpcuyzy9.jpg

One solution to bulging is an insulated cover that prevents the sun from directly hitting the container...

InsulPaxTG1_zpsougethpj.jpg

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I made vented caps for the set I put in rear windows. A simple aluminum disc in place of the yellow plastic insert and put a fuel grade right angle schrader valve in. I can either bleed off pressure or quickly pull out core and reinstall it.
In town I roll with them empty and the lids loose enough to breathe. So far so good

jeep with flags.jpg

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I absolutely agree.

As quoted above, there's not a safe 100% safe place. My issue with gas on the roof is now you have dripping fire liquid all over your car if there's an issue.

So where are we left? Roof? Dripping fire. Near a door? Can't evacuate. On the bumper? More likely to see damage to the container (rear-ended). This leaves an expanded gas tank under the car, in/on a rear window, or inside the jeep (rollbar, trunk, etc).

Or, accept the risk and carry it where you want.
David, I respect this but feel some installation locations provide less risk than others. Keeping gasoline away from places that put it at greater risk of coming between your rig and someone else's in an impact, or interferes with visibility or emergency egress are apt, IMHO, to be the lessor of all evils.

That's just my $.02, YMMV. :)

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I made vented caps for the set I put in rear windows. A simple aluminum disc in place of the yellow plastic insert and put a fuel grade right angle schrader valve in. I can either bleed off pressure or quickly pull out core and reinstall it.
In town I roll with them empty and the lids loose enough to breathe. So far so good

jeep with flags.jpg
Vic...do you know of a Schrader (one way) like valve as you described that might automatically open for a second to vent gasoline should a certain pressure threshold be reached?

I really like the install but have 3 questions.

What became of the window that was there, could you reinstall it without too much work if you wanted to, and why no do the install on the driver's side to less effect visibility while providing proximity to the rig's gas cap?

I'm sure you had your reasons on the latter. Nice job!

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vic...do you know of a Schrader (one way) like valve as you described that might automatically open for a second to vent gasoline should a certain pressure threshold be reached?

I really like the install but have 3 questions.

What became of the window that was there, could you reinstall it without too much work if you wanted to, and why no do the install on the driver's side to less effect visibility while providing proximity to the rig's gas cap?

I'm sure you had your reasons on the latter. Nice job!
Have not looked into a preset Schrader valve. It takes 2 seconds to vent them. No visibility issues, I can't look out those windows anyway. I blacked them out with template for a month before removing glass. I'm running them on both sides. Glass can simply reinstall if desired.
Did I cover everything?

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
David, I respect this but feel some installation locations provide less risk than others.
Of course. Everything in life is a question of risk mitigation and acceptance. There are arguments for and against pretty much any place you can store gas. So, you accept a certain level of risk and do what you're comfortable with. For you, that might mean putting your gas on the roof of your Jeep; for me, that might mean my rear bumper. You might be in a city and more likely to get rear ended; I might be more likely to go under low things and need better roof clearance. There is no single answer to risk mitigation.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
There probably isn't a 100% safe place to carry gasoline on the outside of a vehicle, but best practice would be:

1. Only carry the cans when on a trip where extra fuel may be necessary. In almost all places on the road in the USA, extra fuel is rarely necessary with proper attention paid to the gas gauge, fuel range of the vehicle and gas stations along the way.

2. Cans should empty be until the "last mile". For example, if I'm making a trip from upstate NY where I live to Colorado to do some off-road exploring, the cans will be empty until the last fuel stop in Colorado before going off-road. And if the day's off-road plan won't require more than maybe half a tank, I don't carry extra fuel in the cans.

3. Cans should be emptied into the tank at the first opportunity when there's no longer a need for extra fuel.At the end of the trail before starting for home, empty the cans into the tank.

BTW if I'm using plastic containers like Rotopax, I don't like to keep them on the Jeep all the time anyway because they're susceptible to UV damage. They're in the garage until I depart on an expedition where I'll need them. I don't need to carry them "for show" :).
These are brilliant rules to follow....to be honest, the only time I carry gas cans if to get fuel for the mowers (there is nowhere in the Midwest far from a gas station). Thanks for sharing them!

I am not a fan of Rotopax for fuel because of the bloating in the heat. I do have some for water and I like the mounts. For fuel, I much prefer a quality steel Mil-can like Wavians. The non-USA spec spouts are still available on ebay....which makes them even better.

Doc

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These are brilliant rules to follow....to be honest, the only time I carry gas cans if to get fuel for the mowers (there is nowhere in the Midwest far from a gas station). Thanks for sharing them!
Happy to share!

I am not a fan of Rotopax for fuel because of the bloating in the heat. I do have some for water and I like the mounts. For fuel, I much prefer a quality steel Mil-can like Wavians. The non-USA spec spouts are still available on ebay....which makes them even better.

Doc
I agree, mostly I carry fuel in either NATO or US jerry cans. I do like the many mounting options for Rotopax but like you I don't like how they bloat and how they have to be manually vented regularly. That's why I'm testing these Insulpax insulated Rotopax covers.

InsulPaxPrototype1b_zps6fl8w54e.jpg

Problem is, it's winter here so I can't really give them a good test until I head south or southwest.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
This issue would be of far less importance if Jeep would have just given us larger gas tanks-especially on two door models!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've got @Blu bi Kong 's spare tire rotopax setup and it is great! I also have two old 3.25 gallon ATV flat rack tanks that I think pre-date Rotopax. They have little twist vents on them that make venting very easy and they are a MUCH thicker and stronger polymer, so I've never seen them bloat. If needed, I could run them on a roof rack.

Honestly, I've not actually wound up needing extra fuel in the JLU, or my JKU even when traveling out west. My buddy in the 2 door JK was the one who needed my fuel, Lol! I think he got just over 200 miles out of a tank. His Jeep is on 35's and has lots of bumper, skid plate, and accessory weight, so that all takes a toll on mileage. At the max, though, I could carry nearly 10 gallons, so that would really stretch the legs of a Jeep.

Now if we were in Australia or Africa, you could never get enough fuel!

Btw, the quality of Blue bi Kong's spare tire mount is exceptional! It is rock solid!
Sponsored