First Name
KP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon, '13 WRX Wagon
Occupation
Engineer
I too was driving in the same storm this weekend and my passenger side wiper was pretty iced up by the time I got down to the city. Can't say it was quite that bad but I was really surprised at how bad it got. I've also got winter blades but the problem just continued to get worse and stopping really wasn't much of an option for much of that drive. I do really wish Jeep would have put some defrosters where the blades sit like they did with the rear wipers.

Sidenote: who knew this forum was full of people that knew exactly what you did you yesterday. They somehow know the age of the wipers AND what you did before hitting the road! Wish I knew it all and had to tell everyone.
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I drive in those conditions frequently and I use a washer fluid heater like a Alphatherm AT-38OD with Recochem Turbo Power Premium Washer Fluid and De-icer fluid. Cleans and melts ice very quickly.
They make this? Wow I need to check this out!

AW1985

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I’m in Alaska. User error. It keeps up in blizzards and the -50 temps. It’s not a BMW, but we don’t see many BMWs on the trail either. It’s a give and take-and I can tell you after driving every interation of Wrangler (and before they were Wranglers), FCA nailed the JL.

I’m not a fan boy either...they dropped the ball on many QC issues (welds, fuses, etc.) but the heater or defrost isn’t one of them,

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
No vehicle is perfect in the snow. If the storm is that bad, stay home. Not every vehicle is intended to be driven in every condition. Not everyone should be driving, even if they have a 4wd vehicle and snow tires. If you don't feel safe in the snow, take a little self responsibility and stay home. These storms aren't surprises, they are generally forecasted days in advance.

I work for an electric utility, and have my whole adult life. Some of us need to get to work in storm conditions. We don't need people who forgot a loaf of bread at the store on the road. Now I don't know if the OP needed to on the road or not, but if they didn't feel safe on the road, I hope they either find a vehicle that works for them, or stays off the road in similar conditions in the future.

Sponsored

rickyrobert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 2016 Toyota Venza, 2005 Nissan Sentra, 1972 Jeep CJ5
I've never had an issue, but my next steps if you truly believe it is inadequate would to be get rain-x and heated windshield wipers.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
This is one thing I wish my JL had from my Toyota Highlander.... a heated windshield. It is fantastic. Anyone that has this feature will probably agree.

This is not warm air blowing on the windshield from the inside it is actual heating element around the perimeter of the windshield that elevates to glass temperature that along with the defrost it basically removes the possibility of build up unless it is really extreme circumstances.
that makes lots of sense , we could use windshields like that here in Canada for about 12 months of the year

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Kluk said

it sounds good but I would be careful with the thin Wrangler windshield that may not be most resistant when hit with 140 degrees during frigid weather

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
Does anybody have any experience using heated wiper blades? https://www.everblades.com/ https://crystalclearblades.com/
I put crystal blades on my Honda's. They do heat up. They are designed to prevent snow/ice from building up on the blades. I woundn't say they would prevent snow/ice from building up on the windshield as they only heat the blades. You need defrosters or heated front windshield. I wish someone would come up with a headed windshield for the jeep but i bet it would be expensive.

I've only had them 2 days, they 'seem' to heat up a bit slow but do indeed get hot. I will report back once i go through a MN snowstorm.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I had a truck with a heated windshield washer fluid system. It worked pretty well. Lot of steam on a cold day when it sprays.

Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Do you feel air blowing out of the middle of your defroster vents and spreading out more towards the outside of the dash? The air flow will not come out end to end, but should come out a lot towards the middle. If you don’t feel a lot coming out towards the middle, check the duct work to make sure it’s not pinched. There’s a TSB on that.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
in my day... I would actually get out of the Jeep (sometimes before even leaving!) and brush off the snow on the windshield.... I'm confused by this thread, seriously.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to take pictures of the pine needles stuck under my wipers and complain to Jeep. Unacceptable;)
Wipers on high, douche it with washer juice always works for me, but I live in Utah which is downhill from Colorado. I do love my Outback with heated windshield though, but it gets the same snow boogers in certain conditions.
Sponsored