Hernan

First Name
Hernan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON 4XE
Hi all,

I ordered a Wrangler Rubicon 4xe without the front camera cause I was trying to keep the price within reason, but after a weekend of thinking about it I called the dealer to modify the order to include the camera. Sales person said he made a new order and all was good. Now, the Wrangler without the camera is on KZ supposedly on it's way to the dealer, and the one with camera is still on D status.

Sales guy said I can pick up the one without the camera if I want, thoughts on if the front camera is worth it?
Sponsored

Deleted member 72291

I use the front camera quite a bit, so for me itā€™s worth it. Once I showed it to a few other JL friends they all wished theyā€™d gotten it.

The only downside to it is that you canā€™t have the camera and the Mopar or Bolt hood lock, which a lot of people want. So if you plan to add one of those hood locks, you donā€™t want the front camera.

Deadpooly6

First Name
Korey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Itā€™s a nice tool that I have grown to use but I could do without. It tap it on so I can do the random stuff in my garage I might have missed as Iā€™m pulling In to work on something or for technical things on trails but itā€™s definitely not needed.

Sponsored

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
I ordered a Wrangler Rubicon 4xe without the front camera cause I was trying to keep the price within reason
Kinda late to be trying to keep the price down at his point - lol
Anyways, if I was ever planning to do the insane trails I've heard of on this post and youtube I'd want that for sure, I'm not doing those trails in a new Jeep so.... I'll be installing the Bolt hood lock this weekend instead in that spot
But if you are considering serious wheeling then by all means... get it :jk:

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
See how much the dealer would charge to order the parts and add it to the one that doesn't have it. I assume its possible to add one after the fact on the newer ones that offered it as an option, but I could be wrong. Certainly seems worth asking.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
FYI, Tazer has a retrofit kit, and some have pieced together some even cheaper options.
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z-jt-cam/

I believe the 4xe has the Gladiator grill, so that version would be needed.

I will say, there have been a lot of time off road that I felt it would be helpful. On the other hand, I have a winch, bull bar, and lights, so there seems to be significant impact to the usefulness in that situation from the pictures I've seen.

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You can easily add a front camera, I got my camera off of Amazon and the tazer JL has a wiring harness kit but I didn't need it, I think I got my wiring from amazon too

I do think its worth it if you offroad. I wind up not seeing over my hood a lot and its helpful finding trail lines. I don't really need it for parking or anything although I'm sure it helps there as well. I wait for my tires to thunk against a curb.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just for a quick example of why it'd be benifical off road. If you look at the hood line in this screen shot, you'll see the top of my spotter's head and arms. This is from a gopro mounted by the rearview mirror.
Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera worth it? 1654867365516

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Iā€™ve wished I had one on several outings. Iā€™d add one but I havenā€™t found a camera option with the clarity that Iā€™d like.

Since I occasionally go solo I have actually considered an alternative. As goofy as it sounds I thought about getting a DJI Mavic Mini 3 with the self follow feature so I could pick lines from an overhead view. This would have been massively handy when I did Peters Mill Run in VA.

Last edited:

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve wished I had one on several outings. Iā€™d add one but I havenā€™t found a camera option with the clarity that Iā€™d like.

Since I occasionally go solo I have actually considered an alternative. As goofy as it sounds I thought about getting a DJI Maveric Mini 3 with the self follow feature so I could pick lines from an overhead view. This would have been massively handy when I did Peters Mill Run in VA.
You got me super excited they had a mini until I saw that price. Oof. That's still super cool.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
So one of the reasons I wanted to get my wife the Tuscadero was the front camera. That and the ACC. I use the ACC WAAAAY more than the front camera.

I've used it as a novelty only a handfull of times, but as @GATORB8 showed us, if you're doing serious wheeling at odd angles, it's another tool in your bag.
Sponsored