First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Does anyone have experience with the front camera? I'll be ordering a new JL soon and I'm considering getting the front camera. Is it worth the money? My main concern is when you're climbing a steep hill and all you can see is the sky is that what you are going to see on the camera or will you be able to see the trail?
I have the factory OEM integrated trail camera. But I screwed things up by adding the Mopar grille guard and the Mopar 7" LED off road lights onto the grille guard. All of these components are very good quality, however they don't play well together. That is, the off road lights are mounted on the grille guard and the grille guard block most of the view of the downward aimed trail cam. I have to figure something out so I can have the off road lights that don't block the camera's view.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Edit to my original reply, didn't realize I copied the wrong URL
Check this one out

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
I have the front camera on my 2021. It really is a good camera and very useful as far as viewing angles

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
i bought the same one. attached to my license plate and routed the cable through a hole in the corner of the license plate holder. I put a rubber grommet on that hole so that the cable would not rub against the sharp edge of the license plate itself. Routed cables through the firewall and attach the monitor to a magnetic dashboard ball-arm mount when I need it. Toss the monitor in the glove compartment when I don’t.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Does anyone have experience with the front camera? I'll be ordering a new JL soon and I'm considering getting the front camera. Is it worth the money? My main concern is when you're climbing a steep hill and all you can see is the sky is that what you are going to see on the camera or will you be able to see the trail?
I'm assuming it's like every other new vehicle: same wiring harness on all variants so you can add the camera later if you want to go ahead and order without it.

blkvirus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler JLUR
I have the OEM option on my 2021 JLUR and I love it! I love how it gives you the tire trajectory just like the backup camera. I will admit it's pretty useless at night. I hit up a trail at night and all you see is blurry dirt, I think everything gets washed out by the headlights. Otherwise, I'd say it's an absolutely necessary upgrade.

tinsley39

First Name
Dorothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have the front camera on my 2021. It really is a good camera and very useful as far as viewing angles
Are you running the stock bumpers or do you have an aftermarket bumper. I just ordered my 2021 Rubicon and I want to do an aftermarket bumper but don’t want to obscure the view of the front camera.

Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
I'm assuming it's like every other new vehicle: same wiring harness on all variants so you can add the camera later if you want to go ahead and order without it.
Its not. Completely different wiring. Even the rear camera is different if you have trail cam. VERY expensive to add later. There is a nice write up on Gladiator forum.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I asked my parts department about adding this to my 2018 with 8.4 and they got confused.. those that added it to an 18 how much did it cost? And do you know a part number?

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Are you running the stock bumpers or do you have an aftermarket bumper. I just ordered my 2021 Rubicon and I want to do an aftermarket bumper but don’t want to obscure the view of the front camera.
I am running stock steel bumpers.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I asked my parts department about adding this to my 2018 with 8.4 and they got confused.. those that added it to an 18 how much did it cost? And do you know a part number?
I added it to my 18. Full write up in my build thread.

Short story I went with a cheaper camera from Amazon but used the Tazer JL wiring kit. It was expensive and if you are handy with electrical you could do it even cheaper but I am not.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I have the factory OEM integrated trail camera. But I screwed things up by adding the Mopar grille guard and the Mopar 7" LED off road lights onto the grille guard. All of these components are very good quality, however they don't play well together. That is, the off road lights are mounted on the grille guard and the grille guard block most of the view of the downward aimed trail cam. I have to figure something out so I can have the off road lights that don't block the camera's view.
Solution for my front camera: SOLUTION
Sponsored