Sponsored

Forgot to push the engine off button. In Manhattan!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@sf5211

i do believe that a stick shift is likely the best theft deterrent on the market these days……. Even if a 22-year-old-grand-theft-auto-thug could figure out how to get it rolling, he will not understand why he can’t do more than 20mph running away from the cops.
Sponsored

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
How is this possible on a manual? Wouldn't the engine turn off as soon as you get it into gear? How do you leave a manual running? unless.... do you park.... in neutral!?!?!?!?!?
Park in neutral and use emergency brake

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
But you would’ve had a homeless dude sleeping in it
It wouldn't be the first time-found one in a Dodge truck once.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the good wishes guys. She had cancer and had to have a piece of pancreas, stomach, intestines and gall bladder removed. Thank God due to a stone in the bile duct they found this cancer really early. They're very optimistic about her survival chances.
I was parked on 165th street right off of Broadway. (Columbia Presbyterian).
As far as parking in neutral, I usually don't. The road was flat where I parked so that wasn't going to be an issue. I just don't have an answer

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Thanks for the good wishes guys. She had cancer and had to have a piece of pancreas, stomach, intestines and gall bladder removed. Thank God due to a stone in the bile duct they found this cancer really early. They're very optimistic about her survival chances.
I was parked on 165th street right off of Broadway. (Columbia Presbyterian).
As far as parking in neutral, I usually don't. The road was flat where I parked so that wasn't going to be an issue. I just don't have an answer
God bless you and your wife, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Sketchy up there, I went to school up that way, be careful.

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
The real question is what are you doing parking in neutral? One might go so far as to say you don’t know how to drive stick.
I may not have an answer for my mistake but I learned stick on my dads trucks when I was a kid. Thats why I love them so much. I even drove 18 wheelers from 1982-88 before switching trades to a plumber. I usually do leave the Jeep in 1st when parked. i don't know how I did this.
There is a school of thought about not leaving a manual vehicle in gear some people buy into.
When I was a teenager I worked at a gas/repair station. There was a dentist that had a new Datsun 280Z parked there. He would leave the keys because we had to occasionally move it. If he went to get in it and saw it in gear he'd blow a fit. His theory was if somebody hit his car while in gear it would ruin his transmission.

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
I may not have an answer for my mistake but I learned stick on my dads trucks when I was a kid. Thats why I love them so much. I even drove 18 wheelers from 1982-88 before switching trades to a plumber. I usually do leave the Jeep in 1st when parked. i don't know how I did this.
There is a school of thought about not leaving a manual vehicle in gear some people buy into.
When I was a teenager I worked at a gas/repair station. There was a dentist that had a new Datsun 280Z parked there. He would leave the keys because we had to occasionally move it. If he went to get in it and saw it in gear he'd blow a fit. His theory was if somebody hit his car while in gear it would ruin his transmission.
Interesting. I've parked in neutral for over 40 years and never heard that was an issue. I guess you are never too old to learn something new.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
In the OPs case it is fine cause the road was flat. Relying only on the parking brake is a bad idea, bad habit. Get into a steep incline and that Jeeps gonna roll down. Always leave the transmission in first or reverse depending on the incline. You should always leave the transmission in gear and use the parking brake. just like you should always leave an auto trans on P and use the parking brake.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I hope your wife continues to get well. Don’t beat yourself up—you had a lot on your mind.

That reminds me of one stupid thing I did when I was in school. I parked my MGB, topless, in the school parking lot. When I came back to the car, I saw that I left the key in the ignition! Top down! What a dork. Thankfully it was still there.

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
In the OPs case it is fine cause the road was flat. Relying only on the parking brake is a bad idea, bad habit. Get into a steep incline and that Jeeps gonna roll down. Always leave the transmission in first or reverse depending on the incline. You should always leave the transmission in gear and use the parking brake. just like you should always leave an auto trans on P and use the parking brake.
Is this a Jeep thing or true for any manual? Honestly, been doing it since I was 18 and never had any of my vehicles have a problem. Never heard anyone else say this, but to be fair they may have all been doing it properly and I just assumed. Literally the first I have heard of this.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Anyone with an auto actually use the E brake? I have never one time set the parking brake in any auto I've owned. I leave the manuals in gear, but if the park pin fails in my auto I just see that as what insurance is for. Such an insanely small chance of it being an issue.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Is this a Jeep thing or true for any manual? Honestly, been doing it since I was 18 and never had any of my vehicles have a problem. Never heard anyone else say this, but to be fair they may have all benn doing it properly and I just assumed. Literally the first I have heard of this.
This is for any manual transmission. You've been lucky then, I have a friend that left his dads expensive BMW parked on a a very steep incline on the side of a hill and didn't set the gear, only the parking brake. The car rolled down the hill as the parking brake couldn't hold the weight.

Leaving the trans. in neutral leaves the gears free spinning, and the car is allowed to roll. The parking brake offers some limited resistance to not let the wheels spin. If your parking brake fails, if the hill is very steep, etc... your car is allowed to roll.

It is also on the drivers ed. manual, and when you take the test if you do it with a manual they will check you park it in gear at the end of the test.
Sponsored