Sponsored

For folks frustrated with the FORM issues

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
There is a simple solution, the issue is in sub freezing temps the engine can never get hot enough to clear the FORM message. To resolve this get the leather diesel grill cover and close all of the slots. That will prevent the sub freezing air from cooling your radiator which will then allow the engine to reach temp and clear the message. Once that happens you can return to normal battery only operation.

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
As someone who lives in the Midwest I have count the FORM issues super frustrating. I understand there are reasons why it happens. And I’m not complaining about the gas getting old - I am referring to the cold operation. My issue with Jeep has more to do with how the car is advertised and the feedback I have been given by the company. I was not sold a car that would only run pure electric in good weather. I was told this would run 26 miles pure electric - which is exactly what I needed to commute to and from work and not use the ICE. I was hoping there would be a software adjustment after the first winter but it appears that Jeep has doubled down on the gas lighting treatment of the owners who think this is bad business. I think that this is a classic example of false advertising. There is now a group that is looking to establish a class action lawsuit against them. I have zero financial relationship with this group. My only reason for posting this is that I think there has been a huge lack of transparency and disingenuous treatment of the folks who purchased these cars. I feel like Jeep needs to be held accountable and the consumer protected from these type of practices. If you’re interested you can follow this link here to be involved.

https://classlawdc.com/2022/03/16/2022-jeep-wrangler-4xe-hybrid-deactivation-investigation/

Read your manual where FORM is explained and what’s required to clear it. It’s a hybrid, not a Tesla. Jeep isn’t hiding anything.

Tyler-98-W68

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe, 2022 Rubicon 4xe
As someone who lives in the Midwest I have count the FORM issues super frustrating. I understand there are reasons why it happens. And I’m not complaining about the gas getting old - I am referring to the cold operation. My issue with Jeep has more to do with how the car is advertised and the feedback I have been given by the company. I was not sold a car that would only run pure electric in good weather. I was told this would run 26 miles pure electric - which is exactly what I needed to commute to and from work and not use the ICE. I was hoping there would be a software adjustment after the first winter but it appears that Jeep has doubled down on the gas lighting treatment of the owners who think this is bad business. I think that this is a classic example of false advertising. There is now a group that is looking to establish a class action lawsuit against them. I have zero financial relationship with this group. My only reason for posting this is that I think there has been a huge lack of transparency and disingenuous treatment of the folks who purchased these cars. I feel like Jeep needs to be held accountable and the consumer protected from these type of practices. If you’re interested you can follow this link here to be involved.

https://classlawdc.com/2022/03/16/2022-jeep-wrangler-4xe-hybrid-deactivation-investigation/
Its been well documanted how the vehicle operates in the cold weather.

I'm not a lawyer and could beat that class action lawsuit simply by posting all the testing i've done with both my 4xes

Just get over it, you thought you could use a PHEV like a BEV, you can't and never will. Its a PHEV, and will operate as such

colojeepr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubi
Maybe I'm in the minority on this one but I'd much rather have it go my jeep go into FORM than incur premature wear due to poor lubricity. Earl-e popped into FORM yesterday while driving through some sleet and I was completely fine with it. RPMs stayed close to idle as she warmed the block and the oil; hybrid pages showed the electric system doing the lions share of the work. Turbos aren't cheap and they don't particularly like cold oil.

Sponsored

alex_navarro

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU
I was decided on a 4XE and went to test drive one at a dealership today. Two of the ones I test drove were in “Form” mode. The sales guy found one that wasn’t and I got to test drive it in electric mode, but this left a serious doubt in my mind, which led me to research this issue. I live in GA. It’s cold but not THAT cold here. I get the stale gas thing but this seeks very problematic.

Reading about this FORM issue, I couldn’t help but think this will lead to a class action lawsuit. Admittedly, I don’t know anything about other PHEVs so if this is the nature of these vehicles, then it is what it is. But if this is specific to Jeep, they’re going to have some serious litigation on their hands. And rightfully so.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I was decided on a 4XE and went to test drive one at a dealership today. Two of the ones I test drove were in “Form” mode. The sales guy found one that wasn’t and I got to test drive it in electric mode, but this left a serious doubt in my mind, which led me to research this issue. I live in GA. It’s cold but not THAT cold here. I get the stale gas thing but this seeks very problematic.

Reading about this FORM issue, I couldn’t help but think this will lead to a class action lawsuit. Admittedly, I don’t know anything about other PHEVs so if this is the nature of these vehicles, then it is what it is. But if this is specific to Jeep, they’re going to have some serious litigation on their hands. And rightfully so.
Even the Prius has FORM. Anyone who suggests a lawsuit over a function that is clearly detailed in the owners manual is being ridiculous.

alex_navarro

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU
Even the Prius has FORM. Anyone who suggests a lawsuit over a function that is clearly detailed in the owners manual is being ridiculous.
Do Prius owners also get locked out of using the electric mode of their PHEV for months at a time? Serious question.

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
Dude that display is super busy. I know you are in Canada so you use Metric system. So -7C equals +19F. As expected you are in km/h. Your battery and fuel range are in km, but your fuel average is in MPG. If you convert 26.2 MPG, it would be 42 KPG. Lots to keep up with and convert. Either may, that is phenomenol for MPG.
Now for FORM that sucks. 19F is sub-freezing but not sub-zero. Its actually pretty common all winter. Even here in Florida, we had an entire week of those temperatures before Christmas.

Sponsored

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
It sucks that your expectations weren‘t met but I don’t see that lawsuit gaining much traction. Jeep never advertised that you WOULD get 21 mpg or that you could ALWAYS run in electric only mode. They said that you MIGHT be able to get 21 mpg and that SOMETIMES you could run in all electric mode. Nothing they said is not true and there is information easily available through Jeep that you can access before purchasing the vehicle that clearly explains what to expect in real world driving and different types of weather conditions. Now, if you were lied to by your individual salesman, that could be another issue but Jeep would not be responsible for that.

While I don’t know the particulars, I do know that Tesla was recently fined for not disclosing to its buyers what would happen to vehicle range in cold weather so there may be some precedence depending on the facts of that case.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
This electric car stuff has been around a long time and I find it more galling today than years ago. What irks me is that I a F*%KING paying for you damn car. You bought into the EV crap I did not so why do have to pay you to buy it.

That tax credit you get come from ME the TAXPAYER! IMO if you cannot afford it then don't buy it! STOP depending on the taxpayer to bail you azz out!

I have also noticed the EVers whine and cry about their EVs.

My best friend fro Elementary school wrote his Masters's Thesis on EVs as the future. The day the Mustang EV came out he was down there ordering one. It came in and his first action was to drive from Temple Tx to Dallas for a Docs appt. Under a 2 hr drive, left at 10 am for his 1 pm Doc appt. Hot day drove his EV with AC on. Time he got there he did not have enough juice to get back home.

NO PROBLEM, Ford dealer has a plug-in, and its free. Well not all FORD dealers have them. So he drove to the nearest one that did, a long way from Docs appt. Got there and EVs backed to get free E for their V. Pole was giving out 110 juice and a full charge of 9 hrs away. He check in to a motel and left out early to get in line. Now his E Stang is down to the wire. He finally gets to the pole and there is a cut-off, he can only get so much charge, which is not enough to get back home or even close.

Now he is calling around trying to find a pole that can give him a full charge. Finally, he does and it a MOTEL In N Dallas, he has enough juice to get there and does so at about 3 in the afternoon. Checks in, a few folks are charging and he waits and gets in about 8 pm for an al nighter.

Gets up the next am, and goes out to his Stang V, and its only about 15 min to full his E tank. Gets it done and checks out the Electric bill is "NOT CHEAP" (he would NOT say, when he told me the story).

YEP, 2 ½ days just to make a 45 min Doc appt.

He put his E Stang up for sale, he was that disillusioned.

And you guys in your silly lawsuits! YOU BOUGHT IT, LIVE with it!

Last edited:

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
This electric car stuff has been around a long time and I find it more galling today than years ago. What irks me is that I a F*%KING paying for you damn car. You bought into the EV crap I did not so why do have to pay you to buy it.

That tax credit you get come from ME the TAXPAYER! IMO if you cannot afford it then don't buy it! STOP depending on the taxpayer to bail you azz out!

I have also noticed the EVers whine and cry about their EVs.

My best friend fro Elementary school wrote his Masters's Thesis on EVs as the future. The day the Mustang EV came out he was down there ordering one. It came in and his first action was to drive from Temple Tx to Dallas for a Docs appt. Under a 2 hr drive, left at 10 am for his 1 pm Doc appt. Hot day drove his EV with AC on. Time he got there he did not have enough juice to get back home.

NO PROBLEM, Ford dealer has a plug-in, and its free. Well not all FORD dealers have them. So he drove to the nearest one that did, a long way from Docs appt. Got there and EVs backed to get free E for their V. Pole was giving out 110 juice and a full charge of 9 hrs away. He check in to a motel and left out early to get in line. Now his E Stang is down to the wire. He finally gets to the pole and there is a cut-off, he can only get so much charge, which is not enough to get back home or even close.

Now he is calling around trying to find a pole that can give him a full charge. Finally, he does and it a MOTEL In N Dallas, he has enough juice to get there and does so at about 3 in the afternoon. Checks in, a few folks are charging and he waits and gets in about 8 pm for an al nighter.

Gets up the next am, and goes out to his Stang V, and its only about 15 min to full his E tank. Gets it done and checks out the Electric bill is "NOT CHEAP" (he would NOT say, when he told me the story).

YEP, 2 ½ days just to make a 45 min Doc appt.

He put his E Stang up for sale, he was that disillusioned.

And you guys in your silly lawsuits! YOU BOUGHT IT, LIVE with it!
That's an awful lot of whining about other people whining.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
That's an awful lot of whining about other people whining.
If you like subsiding someone to buy a car, fine. I don't my tax money going to someone to buy a car or put solar panels on the roof and I do not believe in that, I work hard for my money and I pay a lot of Taxes.

Why should the US GOVT/IRS give FAVORS to certain groups of people and they are not afforded to others?

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
If you like subsiding someone to buy a car, fine. I don't my tax money going to someone to buy a car or put solar panels on the roof and I do not believe in that, I work hard for my money and I pay a lot of Taxes.

Why should the US GOVT/IRS give FAVORS to certain groups of people and they are not afforded to others?
Honestly? I don't care. I have no doubt you get tax breaks on things I don't qualify for.

Plus, none of this has anything to do with Fuel or Oil Refresh Mode in the 4xe or bad class action lawsuits that are invalid based on the manufacturer's published information in the manual.
Sponsored