Floor drain issues?

Orillian

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLu
Jeep advertises these new drain plugs as "one-way floor drain valves". Is it true they drain without needing to remove the plug?
No clue!!! I pulled the plug and let everything drain....maybe they can but I don't remember seeing any valve type opening in them. I'll look when I go for lunch today.
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
@Jeepsterfreak There is no valve. I believe they use this wording as they design the tub to help direct water to where these floor drain holes are. If you were to put a garden hose underneath and aim it up at the hole water would come into your cab with the plug removed.

This would be difficult however as the drain hole is located directly above the frame rail so it is blocked a bit from elements coming up from the outside unless you are fording water at a a depth above the frame rail.

thehaf

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited; 1995 Mitsubishi J-55 import
Occupation
Network Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep advertises these new drain plugs as "one-way floor drain valves". Is it true they drain without needing to remove the plug?
Not sure I would agree with their assessment that it is a "one way floor drain" in the traditional sense. It looks as if they put a bracket over the hole so water would have to go around the bracket to get in, rather than an actual one way valve. This means that if the water is deep enough to go past the bracket, your feet are getting wet. Road spray and puddle splashes however are highly unlikely to let water in. I ran around with mine out for about a month and only noticed warm air on my feet. No water and no wet carpet, even with torrential down pours.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
@Jeepsterfreak There is no valve. I believe they use this wording as they design the tub to help direct water to where these floor drain holes are. If you were to put a garden hose underneath and aim it up at the hole water would come into your cab with the plug removed.

This would be difficult however as the drain hole is located directly above the frame rail so it is blocked a bit from elements coming up from the outside unless you are fording water at a a depth above the frame rail.
So these plugs arenā€™t any different than the JK?

Hereā€™s what Jeep states on their website.

ā€œThe wash-out interior features all-new, one-way drain valves in the floor to let the water flow out but not back in. Just remove the carpet and you can wash out the interior with a hose.ā€

I interpreted this as the drain plugs are one-way valves and donā€™t have to be removed in order to drain. Maybe they are just speaking of the drain hole?

Last edited:

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So these plugs arenā€™t any different than the JK?

Hereā€™s what Jeep states on their website.

ā€œThe wash-out interior features all-new, one-way drain valves in the floor to let the water flow out but not back in. Just remove the carpet and you can wash out the interior with a hose.ā€

I interpreted this as the drain plugs are one-way valves and donā€™t have to be removed in order to drain. Maybe they are just speaking of the drain hole?
Marketing IMO. They look the same as the JK to me. It is a cut out hole in the bottom of the tub. You stick your finger in that hole and you touch the frame rail. It is one way by Newtons Law of Gravity! :cwl:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Marketing IMO. They look the same as the JK to me. It is a cut out hole in the bottom of the tub. You stick your finger in that hole and you touch the frame rail. It is one way by Newtons Law of Gravity! :cwl:
LOL! I was thinking the same thing. ā€œTo let the water flow out but not back inā€...uhm thatā€™s called gravity. Man, they really had me fooled. I honestly thought the rubber drain plugs had been re-engineered with a one way valve so if using the mopar mats as designed, melted snow would automatically drain without pulling the plug. Shame on them. Just like Jeep marketing using ā€œKeyless Enter ā€˜n Goā€ as a feature on the Sport with manual locks. Not keyless by any means unless you never lock your doors.

HeavyMetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4dr Rubicon
Damn. Time to return these bad boys when they get here!

I have the Mopar all-weather mats installed in my JLUR - and utilized the drain plug in the top of the mat itself, as they are designed for,

And I forded about 30" of muddy water a few times in it. The next day I noticed my driver and passenger side carpets were drenched in muddy water. I have since removed the drain plugs from the mats and placed them back directly into the metal floor - and removed the carpet from the front/back of my Jeep entirely. I'd rather have no carpet than to potentially have to clean them again later on.

Here's a few pictures of the mats after removing them.

IMG_20180423_110242.jpg

IMG_20180423_105449.jpg

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
You can still use them, but maybe not as designed. Keep the original drain plugs in the foor. Cut off the spout from underneath the mopar mats so they lay flat and buy some JK drain plugs to install in the mats. Thatā€™s what I plan to do.

HeavyMetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4dr Rubicon
You can still use them, but maybe not as designed. Keep the original drain plugs in the foor. Cut off the spout from underneath the mopar mats so they lay flat and buy some JK drain plugs to install in the mats.
Not a terrible idea. Saves the $80 extra bucks I assume the Weathertechs are. A shame they didnt put a tethered plug on the bottom of the spout.

Sponsored

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
When I installed mine, I thought I had the drivers side in well. When I put in the passenger side I noticed a significant difference in the ā€œpopā€ as I pushed in the spout. I went back to the drivers side to find it was not completely sealed and had to get it installed correctly. Iā€™d say itā€™s entirely possible to feel like you have them in and there not be a complete seal. Itā€™s hard for me to believe they will leak. The seal seams as tight or tighter than the original plug

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not asked SimpleJL if he was certain the floor mat was pushed into the drain hole completely. I know I thought mine were and after reading this thread and seeing those pictures I went out to look at mine. I put a lot more pressure on the mat where the drain is and I heard a pop as it popped into the drain hole.

I would not return them. I would make sure they are installed and the seal is tight. Take a hose and squirt up under there and see if you get any water.

HeavyMetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4dr Rubicon
I have not asked SimpleJL if he was certain the floor mat was pushed into the drain hole completely. I know I thought mine were and after reading this thread and seeing those pictures I went out to look at mine. I put a lot more pressure on the mat where the drain is and I heard a pop as it popped into the drain hole.

I would not return them. I would make sure they are installed and the seal is tight. Take a hose and squirt up under there and see if you get any water.
482ced25-01a2-4026-8b3d-b852e426e68b_560_420.jpg

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
When I installed mine, I thought I had the drivers side in well. When I put in the passenger side I noticed a significant difference in the ā€œpopā€ as I pushed in the spout. I went back to the drivers side to find it was not completely sealed and had to get it installed correctly. Iā€™d say itā€™s entirely possible to feel like you have them in and there not be a complete seal. Itā€™s hard for me to believe they will leak. The seal seams as tight or tighter than the original plug
I donā€™t doubt that there is a ā€œpopā€ when installed properly but a pop doesnā€™t necessarily mean itā€™s sealed if the material is harder plastic than the rubber plug and not creating a seal around the entire circumference of the hole. I donā€™t own them so canā€™t attest to the softness of the material compared to the original plugs.

HeavyMetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4dr Rubicon
Someone that owns em oughta pop em in and do the hose test..
Sponsored