first oil change

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Honestly, I can't see the harm in changing the oil early. The only thing OP is going to hurt is his wallet.

As stated above, to each his own.
I'm not the environmental tree hugger type. But the environmental tree hugger types would definitely disagree with you.
Sponsored

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JL Sport S (Gabrielle)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I'm not the environmental tree hugger type. But the environmental tree hugger types would definitely disagree with you.
One would hope OP is also recycling his oil properly.

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JL Sport S (Gabrielle)
Occupation
Structural Engineer

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
my 2 cents, my last 4 cars and my 911 and Harley all run synthetic (initial fill), I follow the manufactures recommended oil change intervals (or once a year in the 911 since I don't put many miles per year) on each vehicle, 3 of the cars had over 120K miles and never used a drop of oil between changes and no oil related problems, trust the engineers that design and test your vehicle, thats what your paying for. remember when Mobil 1 recommended 25k miles oil changes? That was on motors that had tolerances that were not even 50 percent of what they are now, your call, do it if makes you feel better, but there really is no reason to "over change your oil". anymore....:jk:

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
my 2 cents, my last 4 cars and my 911 and Harley all run synthetic (initial fill), I follow the manufactures recommended oil change intervals (or once a year in the 911 since I don't put many miles per year) on each vehicle, 3 of the cars had over 120K miles and never used a drop of oil between changes and no oil related problems, trust the engineers that design and test your vehicle, thats what your paying for. remember when Mobil 1 recommended 25k miles oil changes? That was on motors that had tolerances that were not even 50 percent of what they are now, your call, do it if makes you feel better, but there really is no reason to "over change your oil". anymore....:jk:
And then you read about all the failures of modern engines such as the FCA EcoDiesel, Ford EcoBoost, MINI turbo, etc. all almost directly related to extended oil change intervals and you think maybe we should actually be changing our oil MORE often these days. Old engines were less finicky but modern engines have tight tolerances, fancy DI fuel systems, ESS, etc. that really is harsh on engine oil.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
And then you read about all the failures of modern engines such as the FCA EcoDiesel, Ford EcoBoost, MINI turbo, etc. all almost directly related to extended oil change intervals and you think maybe we should actually be changing our oil MORE often these days. Old engines were less finicky but modern engines have tight tolerances, fancy DI fuel systems, ESS, etc. that really is harsh on engine oil.
Yep, but there are millions of non issues that you don't hear about too. I work 2 blocks from the Capitol, but live in the suburbs, and make a 18 mile commute thru DC rush hour traffic, hour in the morning and hour 1/2 to 2 hours to get home, stop light to stop light, and I can say the ESS and the rest of that stuff does help, I consider that commute severe, but modern synthetics can take it. Another thing you have to keep in mind that motor oil is a gazzillion dollar industry thus you see the changes from 25k mile intervals to every 3k miles to now must modern cars measure the use of the oil and recommend when it should be changed based on electric conductivity.

I don't believe everything I read but this was an independent test not by an oil company:

Determining whether synthetic oils last longer than conventional ones would require a separate test protect. To try to get some indication, we put Mobil 1 synthetic into three cabs and changed their oil every 12,000 miles.

We intended to compare the results of these tests with those from the three taxicabs whose Mobil 1 was changed at our normal interval, every 6,000 miles. Unfortunately, two of the three engines using the 12,000-mile interval developed problems. (We couldn't attribute those problems to the oil.) The third engine fared no worse than the three whose oil had been changed at 6,000-mile intervals.

The bottom line. Modern motor oils needn't be changed as often as oils did years ago. More frequent oil changes won't hurt your car, but you could be spending money unnecessarily and adding to the nation's energy and oil-disposal problems.

Even in the severe driving conditions that a New York City taxi endures, we noted no benefit from changing the oil every 3,000 miles rather than every 6,000. If your driving falls into the "normal" service category, changing the oil every 7,500 miles (or at the automaker's suggested intervals) should certainly provide adequate protection. (We recommend changing the oil filter with each oil change.)

We don't recommend leaving any oil, synthetic or regular, in an engine for 12,000 miles, because accumulating contaminants - solids, acids, fuel, and water - could eventually harm the engine. What's more, stretching the oil-change interval may void the warranty on most new cars.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
I have about 2000 miles. I just changed the oil myself. Before the change I noticed the rattle in the engine in morning when first starting up. Lifters pumping up. After the change with a Fram ultraguard and Pennzoil Plat I still hear it. Only when engine sits awhile. Anyone else have this.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

mtomac

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL - 2017 Silverado 3500 Duramax - 17 Chevy Equinox
Haven’t changed the oil yet.

924FF962-5445-4AB6-829E-CF226620B92E.jpeg

Space ace

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I was advised to not change the oil till after the first 5000 miles. The advisor and tech both said that there is a break in oil and it needs to run its course..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was advised to not change the oil till after the first 5000 miles. The advisor and tech both said that there is a break in oil and it needs to run its course..
@Space ace

There is no "break in oil" in the JL/JLU as was spewed to you. That's pure crapola.

As for when to do the first oil change, there are lots of thoughts on this. Some people do it at 2,500 mi. and some a tad sooner or a tad later. Some even just wait until say 7- 8,000 miles.

There is no issue waiting until 5,000 miles. IF I were to wait for the 5,000 miles, I would change the oil filter alone at 2500 miles. Filter takes about a min. or so to change.... you can get the Mopar MO-349 filter on amazon.com for $6.39.

With that said, I changed both oil and filter at about 2500 miles.. 8-)

Space ace

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
@Space ace

There is no "break in oil" in the JL/JLU as was spewed to you. That's pure crapola.

As for when to do the first oil change, there are lots of thoughts on this. Some people do it at 2,500 mi. and some a tad sooner or a tad later. Some even just wait until say 7- 8,000 miles.

There is no issue waiting until 5,000 miles. IF I were to wait for the 5,000 miles, I would change the oil filter alone at 2500 miles. Filter takes about a min. or so to change.... you can get the Mopar MO-349 filter on amazon.com for $6.39.

With that said, I changed both oil and filter at about 2500 miles.. 8-)
I think then I’ll have it changed on Monday.. I’m almost @ 2500 miles.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think then I’ll have it changed on Monday.. I’m almost @ 2500 miles.
@Space ace

Your choice when to change. I'm not sure if the dealership will give you one of your freebe oil changes if you only have 2500 miles on the vehicle. Reality is, it is no big deal to leave the oil in for 5,000 miles. As I said, I would at least change the oil filter at 2500 miles as it may have picked up some debris over the 2500 miles.

Lots of guys/gals have different ideas on this but what I have mentioned is pretty acceptable by most all..

You can also get the MO-349 filter at Walmart. Of course you will pay about $12 for the filter there. Oil Filter is very very easy to change.
Sponsored

Last edited: