First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Am I being OCD or would this bother you guys also?
I would put it down to being a bit OCD ... not that there's anything wrong with that.
People's expectations of what comes off an automobile assembly line any more is a bit on the high side.
The 40k you paid for your Jeep is almost what I pay in taxes on the class 8 equipment I buy. I buy often, and I run into the same thing you do, and worse.
There is no effective QC at any auto factory for anything other than the blatantly obvious. No one is looking into nooks and crannies for fit and finish.
Dealers will tell you they do a PDI. They don't. They forget things like greasing a clutch, checking wheel bearing oil levels, loose nuts and bolts, and so on. Hell, I've even had it where they "forgot" to take the plastic off the hood. You have to do your own comprehensive PDI.
Will they replace a badly seemed plastic piece? It's highly unlikely unless you have an above average relationship with your dealer principle.
Lastly, keep in mind that FCA did not build that piece. They put out a spec for it, and the lowest cost provider got the contract to supply that piece. The highest quality for the lowest cost does not mean you get the best piece. It means you got the cheapest piece with a tolerable percentage of flaws.
Just so you know where you and I, and every other Jeep owner/buyer, stand in the grand scheme of things ... Corporations do not build cars for us. They build cars for acceptable profit. They do not answer to the consumer. They answer to shareholders.
I suspect many reading this will think "I just won't buy a Jeep until quality improves.", and that is a valid reaction. One of two things will happen. Quality will improve significantly, but the consumer will pay extra for it, or they will simply stop building them if the business model becomes unacceptable to the shareholders. Whether or not it is unprofitable at that point is immaterial.
I get it that everyone wants an absolutely perfect vehicle for the hard earned money they spend. Even better than perfect means you got a deal. But, if we're honest, perfect is rare, and better than perfect is exceptionally rare. Flawed has become, for better or worse, the acceptable norm.
If you, or anyone, dares, delve into the world of statisticians and actuaries. It becomes painfully obvious why consumers buy what they buy, even if they complain a lot about it.

Someone earlier had said " FCA quality control.... = Jumbo shrimp, plastic glass, Military intelligence...etc." You can add "Jeep Cares", "Ford Cares", "GM Cares", etc., etc., etc. to that list.

Just my humble 2 cent rant for a Sunday afternoon :)
Sponsored

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Lol the QC department doesn’t exist in Toledo. My mold lines are sticking out through the paint on my fender flares, my hood is rusting as well as all my hinges.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
One other thing: FCA has compressed order waiting times to half of what they normally are. I saw a forum member claim he took delivery of his JL four weeks after he placed his order. That includes not just assembly, but freight, dealer PDI and everything else.
I placed my order with the dealer on a Friday in late February '20. I believe the dealer sent the order in the following Monday. The jeep was unloaded at the dealer in the wee hours of the morning on the Friday 4 weeks later. I couldn't pick it up until Monday because of the 30 wait after signing up with Tread Lightly. The dealer had originally quoted 6/8 weeks for delivery.

As to the OP's original question - I'm old, I forget quickly, out of sight is out of mind. I personally wouldn't be bothered by it for any length of time. But, I can understand why you would be.

Later,
Johnny

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Your aluminum hood and hinges aren't rusting. It probably has rail dust in the paint. It will come off with a clay bar.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
One...….and it was one too many, I know quality of all American made vehicles has been good i"m just not a chevy or ford guy. I'm just poking around to get people wound up, nothing personal
People don't buy FCA products because they're looking for a quality automobile. They do it because FCA makes some of the coolest vehicles on the planet. That's why i'm here. Took a lot of "soul searching" to get to where i'm willing to leave the world of quality and reliability in favor of vehicles that I can't wait to drive, and sit in the garage staring at when i'm not. GM used to make a lot of them, but these days it's down to Camaro and Corvette. They had a perfect opportunity for a Wrangler competitor in the Blazer but instead we got another cartruck appliance. Even Cadillac's V-series is a let-down. The new $60k "V" is 350hp and to get the real power you need to get in line with at least $100k. In the end the Camaro is just too small for me and the Corvette is 2-seats short of what I need...my adventures with Ford were all disasters so here I am giving FCA a try despite my reservations. Obviously this thread isn't reasurring me but I know that if my Wrangler or Challenger end up being non-stop problem vehicles I can sell them for more than I owe and just write-off FCA in the future. Here's to hoping I have two great experiences.

Sponsored

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Your aluminum hood and hinges aren't rusting. It probably has rail dust in the paint. It will come off with a clay bar.
Lol I wish it is just fallout. Mine is corroding under the paint. Car is ppf’ed and ceramic coated. The coating prevents fallout to the best of my understanding..

8FEF7922-7646-43B2-9B32-8C785AA8817E.jpeg

B23802F1-BDCE-4035-A4AC-956471AAE60C.jpeg

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The quality issues kinda remind me of the stories about the Chevy Vegas and stuff like that during the Malaise era.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
My 2020 Jeep is being bought back by Chrysler as they couldn't fix the horrible steering or the metal clanking sounds coming from the front and rear end. Major problems with steering boxes & Dana 44 rear axles, lots of threads on here. My lawyer of 30 years said that Chrysler has ranked dead last in customer service and reliability for as long as she can remember. Jeeps are cool but if you're spending more time trying to fix it than you are driving it, it sucks.

Sponsored

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
It's not just FCA. There's no QC anywhere for anything. Screwed up online grocery, take out missing stuff, crap ringing up wrong at the cash register, tire shop lug nut mishaps, missed medical diagnosis, the list of half assery goes on and on. Just part of this existence. I'm a realist after all the stuff I used to catch over decades as an engineer. I've pretty much lowered my expectations about everything.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
It's not just FCA. There's no QC anywhere for anything. Screwed up online grocery, take out missing stuff, crap ringing up wrong at the cash register, tire shop lug nut mishaps, missed medical diagnosis, the list of half assery goes on and on. Just part of this existence. I'm a realist after all the stuff I used to catch over decades as an engineer. I've pretty much lowered my expectations about everything.
I agree with your universal outlook but customer service still means something to many people. Stuff breaks, people make mistakes, someone has a bad day on the assembly line... I get that. The world ain’t perfect but it’s the response, or lack thereof, to try and make it right that goes a long way. Once you’ve forked over your cash to FCA you’re on your own.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
It’s all relative - I’ve owned A Ford Pinto, Ford Fairmont, and a Chevy Celebrity. Those were the absolute definition of poor assembly AND bad engineering. Engine on the Pinto went at 13,000 miles, the Fairmont had stuff fall off of it, and the Celebrity became too expensive to repair at 60,000 miles because so much was wrong (rear seal, head gasket, and steering rack). I drove Japanese cars until 10 years ago because of that experience. Overall cars of all makes are so much better...though FCA has too many problems compared to other car makers.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
I agree. Every other vehicle I've owned under warranty was fixed by the dealers without hassle. FCA dicked me and many others around for a year regarding bad steering boxes and other issues. Instead of helping out customers with vehicles under warranty, they told us all "it'a Jeep thing". I wish I got a good one. I would've been a happy customer if they just fixed the damn thing instead of acting like there was no problem and lying to me after forking over an unjustified amount of money.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Really not trying to make it a big deal but man close to 40k for my Jeep and you would think things like this would be caught by quality control. The speaker bar looks chewed up on the back side. I guess what they say about FCA is true. :mad:

Jeep Wrangler JL FCA quality control!!!! B23802F1-BDCE-4035-A4AC-956471AAE60C

FCA quality control.. what is that
Sponsored