Sponsored

Factory Soft Top negatives?

Mompalm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2002 TJ Sahara
What are the negatives, if any, to the factory soft top?

We intend to purchase a new 2022 Willys 2dr this week from the dealer lot instead of ordering and it comes with the factory sunrider soft top. Before we pull the trigger, I'd like to hear feedback on factory soft top. Thanks.
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I had dual top on my 4 door. I found myself too lazy to ever swap over to the soft top in the 18 months I owned it. Now I only have a soft top on my 2 door. I love it. HOWEVER, if you do a lot of interstate driving it can be loud. Especially if you like to go 80+.
So around town, it’s amazing. But if it will spend most of its miles on the interstate, you may not like it. I have to raise my voice over 70 for my wife to hear me clearly.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
My only comment is to go through the process of opening the rear window before making the buy decision. Be sure that you're comfortable going through that and the reverse process any time you need the extra room to access the rear. And, consider if it's raining while you're doing that.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I have both, the soft top is the premium one. I’d highly recommend that over their standard one.

I have a Lange hoist for my hard top so I can very easily switch between the two, 20-30minutes by myself. If that it’s getting to be “summer” in CO, I put the soft top on. However, we’re taking a week and a half road trip at the end of May so the hard top will go back on for that.

I think Wranglers look cooler without the convertible soft top put back, no top, completely bare. However, I love the flexibility of “oh crap it’s going to rain, let’s put the top back up” of the soft top.

I’ll also echo it being much noisier with the soft top. It’s nothing deadening, I’ve driven 85 and it’s fine. It is noisier though.

Sponsored

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I just recently purchased a basic soft top from a fellow member and I absolutely love it! They knocked it out of the park with the new system not having zippers. I will still put the hardtop back on in the winter but it is really nice not having to watch the weather forecast so closely now.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
My only comment is to go through the process of opening the rear window before making the buy decision. Be sure that you're comfortable going through that and the reverse process any time you need the extra room to access the rear. And, consider if it's raining while you're doing that.
100% agree. Opening the rear window sucks compared to a hard top. The Jeep is louder but being able to flip the top back without removing freedom panels makes up for both.

Cardboardjr

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 wrangler TJ. '22 JLU Sport in Sting Gray
I don't have my JL yet (driving a TJ), but I feel like if I know that it's not going to rain for a week I'll just take the hardware off. I don't love the look of the soft top just down but it's not terrible. I will spend every day without rain with the top down/off from mid April to late September. Like I said I've been driving a TJ so road noise, wind, and cold will all be greatly reduced from what I'm at right now. I'm sure the JL will sound quiet compared to the TJ.

OP
OP
Mompalm

Mompalm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2002 TJ Sahara
You can't convince me that a top that looks like this when it folds "down" is an improvement over the JK soft top 🤮

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Soft Top negatives? Capture.PNG
I agree and that mess in the back is the thing we don't like about the soft top. I am more wondering about the quality of the standard soft top vs the premium top.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I agree and that mess in the back is the thing we don't like about the soft top. I am more wondering about the quality of the standard soft top vs the premium top.
I'm pretty sure we don't get the basic soft top here in Canada but there are a lot of threads saying the basic is nowhere near the quality of the premium. I love my premium. For usability, it's night and day over the JK. I just wish they had "hidden" it better when it was down.

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I didn't purchase mine with the dual top group so run 1 year without. I then purchased a like new premium top from a board member. I agree with the comments about the back window, noise, and looks. But the convenience of top up or top down in a hurry is worth it in my opinion! I run the hardtop in the winter months and then soft top all summer. Doors off as well most of the summer so I don't really care about the noise!

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I have to have easy access to the back. Having to take off the rear window just doesn't work for me.

G.

4Runfun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2022 Rubicon
I ordered Premium Soft Top instead of hard top. Primarily because, I'm in the South and want to take advantage of being topless as often as possible. I did go through the process a few times at the dealer to make sure I knew how to remove the windows and it really is simple.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I ordered my Wrangler last summer. Because of living situations... I currently rent, but lease is up in June and I intended to buy a condo (I close this Friday, but was obviously unsure last summer), and the fact that I live in Wisconsin... I bought the hard top with the Sunrider. It's been great so far. But now that I know where I'll be living (and have the storage room), I still plan on buying a soft top in the future. But the Sunrider is good enough that the soft top will probably be a next summer thing when I have less stuff going on. (and more money to spend)
Sponsored