Sponsored

Factory installed headliner

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
For those of you who had headliners installed from the factory, any trouble with it not wanting to stick to the roof? I've never had them before on any Jeep I've owned, so no experience with them. Service manager told me today basically some BS about them being a winter thing and that in the summer you can remove them. What's happening is the keep falling down, middle and rear, not front so far, and I keep having to push them back up. All I've been able to do so far is roll the windows down, so the headliners are getting some fresh air that's knocking them loose. Hate to see what happens if I take the Freedom panels off. The headliners would probably blow completely off, haha.

And if I have them removed, is it going to look like crap where they came off?
Sponsored

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
If it was factory installed, I would make a dealer warranty visit. Everything I have read on them is that the surface scuff prep is critical for adhesion. If not done properly, then you get what you seem to be experiencing.

OP
OP
Ybohannon

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
If it was factory installed, I would make a dealer warranty visit. Everything I have read on them is that the surface scuff prep is critical for adhesion. If not done properly, then you get what you seem to be experiencing.
They said it just has velcro strips (which I can clearly see that when it falls) and it looks to be installed correctly. If it's installed correctly, why is it falling down?

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
They said it just has velcro strips (which I can clearly see that when it falls) and it looks to be installed correctly. If it's installed correctly, why is it falling down?
By chance did they mix up and install the same Velcro "hook or loop" on both mating sides? Beyond that, I got nothing other than to reiterate making a warranty claim since it was factory installed.

OP
OP
Ybohannon

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
By chance did they mix up and install the same Velcro "hook or loop" on both mating sides? Beyond that, I got nothing other than to reiterate making a warranty claim since it was factory installed.
Don't know anything other than they said it looked like it was installed correctly.

Was just curious if other members are having the same problem.

Thanks for the reply!

Sponsored

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
JeepÂź Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer
Depending on what the dealer says about warranty coverage on headliners, some tips we’ve found useful when people are install our headliners:

Make sure you wipe down the surface area where you want to install the Velcro to make sure it is scrupulously clean. New doesn’t necessarily mean clean. They sometimes have detail ‘stuff’ wiped on, which is detrimental to the adhesion.

First wipe with Clorox wipes. Let dry completely.

Next wipe with 99% pure alcohol spread on a clean, lint free towel, and again allow to dry completely. https://www.amazon.com/99-Isopropyl...26521719&sr=8-6&keywords=99+alcohol+isopropyl

Once the alocohol has dried completely, then attach your new Velcro. Use the back of the handle of a screwdriver or something equally hard to push the Velcro on to the interior of the hard top. You want to make sure you are getting 100% boding between the glue and the Velcro. It hurts rubbing it with your hands after a while, so the handle really helps make sure you get it all well attached.

After the Velcro is in place, I let mine sit overnight before I placed the panels. Most adhesive type products recommend a bonding period without weight to make sure that the glue has set properly.

The next day, attach your panels and you shouldn’t have any further issue!

If you have adhesive residue left on your hard top after removing the initial Velcro, peel off what you can with your hands, then use the 99% alcohol to wet a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and use it to remove the remaining sticky stuff.

If the dealer won’t supply you with replacement Velcro, look for acrylic Velcro, similar to https://www.amazon.com/1-5-VELCRO-B...qid=1526522186&sr=8-7&keywords=acrylic+velcro

Hope this helps!

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I have the dealer installed headliner no issues being I am in San Antonio 100degree days for a week zero issue and yes they do help with the heat. JLUR

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So far mine have dropped twice. Just the rear one. First visit to the service department it goes on the list. Hopefully it will be a small one.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure who installed mine but my JLU Safari has the Mopar headliners and when I first removed the freedom panels and rolled the windows down the rear one fell down so I looked at how it was attached and it’s with Velcro strips, the part that is attached to the roof liner looks like the used a hot melt glue gun to attach and they are really attached so I just really pressed it back up against the top hard and rubbed the areas with the strips really good and they have all been staying up with panels off and windows open at 60 mph but as stated if factory or dealer installed it’s under warranty

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ybohannon

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
Dealer installed more velcro and it seems to have helped

Tridgerat

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I got the Hothead Headliner aftermarket and have had zero problems with it. It does use 3M tape stuff to hold the panels on as opposed to velcro so it's not exactly removable but it also doesn't budge.

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
Mine were loose on delivery but gave them a good push and have been ok but will also be installing some additional velcro straps...suck you have to do this on my $60K Jeep but..."It's a Jeep Thing"

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
When I put in my hothead headliners I had to lightly hand sand and then clean with acetone before attaching, I had a one spot in the rear upper corner of the side panel, but then I just pushed it in and have not had any problems since.

CDHarris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
The rear and center headliner panels on my 2 month old JL Sahara were hanging loose this morning. I don’t spend much time in the back, so had not noticed this before. I pushed back up, but they still don’t feel secure. If I pull all the way down, can I replace or add more Velcro? If so, where do I get it? Thanks.
Sponsored