Sponsored

Extra Gas Carrier

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
EDH_JL, I have two Wavian cans myself, so I'll be interested to see your solution.

I also bought two of Wavian's HD brackets. If we ever get some nice weather, I'm thinking of bolting them to a reinforced hitch carrier. Probably not high enough for serious off-road, but useful for any road/mild-trail trip with questionable gas supply.

Everything will go into a Yakima BackSwing hitch adapter. Opens wiiiiide to allow tailgate access. No hitch extension needed, just barely gets past stock Rubicon tires.
Sponsored

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Better pics with a write up when the Wavian comes in and I can test it, but here are the new Morryde JL Side Mounts. I ordered one with the jerry can mount and one bare for my CO2 tank. Rotopax mount is also an option.

Storage is at a premium on the 2 door and this helps keep the weight off the rear end. I know it's not for everyone, but exactly what I wanted.

Jeep Wrangler JL Extra Gas Carrier IMG_20200516_093554
Jeep Wrangler JL Extra Gas Carrier IMG_20200516_094027
Jeep Wrangler JL Extra Gas Carrier IMG_20200516_094658

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Just wondering how you found these? I looked on their website and only found the JK version.

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering how you found these? I looked on their website and only found the JK version.
I emailed them a few months ago and they finally released them in April.

Do you really need the extra gas can?
For the 2 door, yes. It has a smaller tank so even if you fill up at the last station because BFE it's nice to have the extra 5 gallons for extended trips or quads/bikes.

Sponsored

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Thanks I will be shooting them an email! As for extra gas sometimes when we go snow camping we take a generator to power and electric blanket for the kids. Not having to carry gas in the cabin or having a hitch rack for it would be awesome.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
EDH_JL, very nice! Any drilling to install those mounting plates?

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Okay my struggle is real....... Rotopax blemish 2 gallon packs are $69, I want two. Then I would need two locking mounts. The locking mounts are $59. So approx $260 to be able to carry 4 gallons of extra fuel. a regular 4 gallon plastic gas can is about $10 dollars. Meaning I could have the 4 gallon generic gas can stolen approx 26 times before I would be as the same cost for the Rotopax set up. Am I missing something? How hard can it be to mount a 4 gallon gas can on the Jeep or my small camper.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
The rotopax seem gimmicky but I understand the quality and the expense to make good ones. I would never mount a plastic gas can from Lowes/etc on my vehicle - it is probably just me but can never get them to seal good. If it is going on the outside of the vehicle and in traffic, it will be a wavian can or rotopax.

If you find a $4 can worthy of this, please let me know - I have the worst luck with them. To the extent that I threw away the yard cans in the garage and buy just the TruFuel for the yard equipment.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Okay my struggle is real....... Rotopax blemish 2 gallon packs are $69, I want two. Then I would need two locking mounts. The locking mounts are $59. So approx $260 to be able to carry 4 gallons of extra fuel. a regular 4 gallon plastic gas can is about $10 dollars. Meaning I could have the 4 gallon generic gas can stolen approx 26 times before I would be as the same cost for the Rotopax set up. Am I missing something? How hard can it be to mount a 4 gallon gas can on the Jeep or my small camper.
Rotopax are way way too overpriced. It's in the scammy region of overpriced. The advantage is you have the opportunity to spend $260.00 and it comes easy to assemble and install.
Sponsored