Sponsored

Exhaust System Regeneration Message

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
You have had at least 4 regens in that time, possibly more. You will know based upon the real time fuel mileage indicator. Also, you can smell it and hear it. The latest diesels with urea, as mentioned, are going through a regen at least every 200 miles. The older ones with DPF but no SCR were doing it as frequently as every 80 miles. If you do a lot of city driving, it will be more frequent and of the "active regen" variety. More highway and it will be "passive regen."
I’m fairly certain there are folks on here who have been monitoring the regens with 3rd party devices and reporting 400-500mile range between regens when burning closer to stock fuel efficiency numbers.
Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
You have had at least 4 regens in that time, possibly more. You will know based upon the real time fuel mileage indicator. Also, you can smell it and hear it. The latest diesels with urea, as mentioned, are going through a regen at least every 200 miles. The older ones with DPF but no SCR were doing it as frequently as every 80 miles. If you do a lot of city driving, it will be more frequent and of the "active regen" variety. More highway and it will be "passive regen."
oh wow 4 regens!! Never got the message that it was doing it though.. but I did notice the MPG would drop on the highway from 30+ to 20+ or so! Maybe that’s when it did it

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
oh wow 4 regens!! Never got the message that it was doing it though.. but I did notice the MPG would drop on the highway from 30+ to 20+ or so! Maybe that’s when it did it
If you read through the multiple forums (Ram and Jeep)about FCA diesels, the vehicle WON'T tell you when you are in a regen UNLESS it is in a forced regen that hasn't been able to fully finish. This means you've shut the vehicle down too many times during a regen and the system hasn't been able to fully clear out the DPF. If you see this message........it is a bad thing!!!!

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
If you read through the multiple forums (Ram and Jeep)about FCA diesels, the vehicle WON'T tell you when you are in a regen UNLESS it is in a forced regen that hasn't been able to fully finish. This means you've shut the vehicle down too many times during a regen and the system hasn't been able to fully clear out the DPF. If you see this message........it is a bad thing!!!!
I see! Thanks for the clarification! Good thing i drive many miles at a time, but my work commute is only 8 miles one way, so that might not be ideal, will see how it goes

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I had a regeneration-like experience (see post #8), but to your point, there was no notification on the dashboard. My only "yeah, but" is why does my Scangauge not recognize what I experienced as a regeneration? They have a specific reading that tells the operator how many regenerations the vehicle has undergone. Mine still reads zero.

This is still a mystery to me.

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I had a regeneration-like experience (see post #8), but to your point, there was no notification on the dashboard. My only "yeah, but" is why does my Scangauge not recognize what I experienced as a regeneration? They have a specific reading that tells the operator how many regenerations the vehicle has undergone. Mine still reads zero.
Not sure what the Scangauge is using for regen counting...... but if it didn't count your decrease in soot levels, then it did a passive regen. You got the exhaust hot enough that it burnt it off on its own.

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
I have been using OBD Fusion for awhile. I initially it said I was averaging 721 between regens, but it went down to 670 now. Last regen didn’t get to finish so my sot loaf is staying at 100% till it triggers another to finish. Definitely worth the 40 bucks for the OBD reader and 10 bucks for app.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I assume a regen per tank of fuel unless I'm on a road trip.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Thank you so much for the write-up! I have 1250 on my ecodiesel so far (in less than a week lol) and i was wondering when this regen will happen! Now i know! When did you do your first oil change?? Did you use the free oil changes or did you do it yourself??
Use the free oil change but make very certain your dealership is knowledgeable with this third gen diesel they were going to use the 2nd gen oil and it's completely different it was until I brought it to their attention did they even contact FCA and get the correct oil into their parts dept. and auto shop. Needless to say because of their ignorance I went elsewhere had to drive three times the distance but they were excellent they also installed the new steering gearbox and recoded it. Drives like a dream now I could take my hand off the wheel on straight flat roads and no problem done several long trips much less work on trying to keep it on the road the 35 muds helped but the new steer gearbox and recode made it perfect. Always did my oil changes on my gasser engines at 3000, I live in extreme hot Dusty desert so I chose to do my first oil at 5000 I think I will stick between 5 and 8 thousand in the future. Unless the Jeep prompts me to do it sooner

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
One thing I didn't see in your driving style section that will greatly contribute to more often regens is how you normally accelerate. Especially when the engine is cold.

Romping on the accelerator at every stop is a sure fire way to fill a dpf. Even more so when the engine and fuel is cold.

Smooth easy take offs go a long way to keeping these exhaust systems happy. I recall a video early on when ecodiesel were released in the 1500. Removing the filters and leaving the factory tune in place would roll coal like crazy. These were smokey little diesels originally and probably still are. Your dpf is catching all that when you floor it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
One thing I didn't see in your driving style section that will greatly contribute to more often regens is how you normally accelerate. Especially when the engine is cold.

Romping on the accelerator at every stop is a sure fire way to fill a dpf. Even more so when the engine and fuel is cold.
I do the occasional burnout, and I haul ass on the freeway. At a light, I’ll floor it to get ahead of everyone.

I’ve been trying to take it easy, but I’m guessing my lead foot is mostly the problem.

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
OK Update time. So back on my first oil change, the dealership used the Rotella T6 oil. It turned out that this oil doesn't meet the spec required (MS-12991 API SN). I've since had it drained and changed to the correct oil, using the Mopar Max Pro 5w-40 (68231020AA). At the time, I totally forgot about this oil, and I'm thinking this could have something to do with my Regen message.

Of course its a total guess, but that oil was in for 6731 miles. At 5627 miles of the wrong oil is when I got the message. Hopefully, with my driving style, and the correct oil, all my regens will be passive, and I will not see an active regen again.

looking into the scangauge now, is this the best way to keep track of passive and active regens?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
looking into the scangauge now, is this the best way to keep track of passive and active regens?
Yes. Search this forum and you'll find threads offering (at least three) ideas for mounting options.

I mostly drive around town and have had four regens in 800 miles. The dealer says that, other than worsening fuel consumption (during regen), the system is operating properly given the usage. On a related note, I watched for them in process, and have only witnessed one - they go from 80% soot build-up to 10% quickly.

I have my Scanguage setup to monitor soot%, Regen on/off, and #ofRegens since new. [My 4th spot is monitoring turbo temp.]

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I used a TrailDash2 in the old JK. I am a fan of that style. I'm starting to look around and see what else is out there besides the ScanGauge. any sugestions?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Passive regeneration on this Gen 3 engine only happens if DPF temperature is 650F or higher. From my experience, the only time I see temps go that high is if I'm on the interstate at 65 MPH or greater, or if I'm towing. It won't happen in town, and it won't happen on a typical 55 MPH highway.
Sponsored