Exhaust System Regeneration?

1. Nihkole

Nihkole Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nichole
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep JL 3.0 Diesel, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro
    Liked:
    What does anyone know about this process? Got this message on the way to work this morning. First it said the filter was full, then this message and then it said regeneration completed. Wondering if I should be worried.

20200217_055842.jpg

2. GtX

GtX Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR 3.0D, 2009 Subaru WRX
    Liked:
    Director of Product Line Management
    This is the the process of burning the soot out of the diesel particulate filter. This system is on all diesel now. Thank the EPA.

Additional fuel is injected into the system to increase temperature, burn the soot, and clean out the filter. How frequently it happens depends on combustion efficiency and driving habits.

3. OP
    OP
    Nihkole

First Name:
    Nichole
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Thanks for the explanation. I drive pretty conservatively so it probably isn't me I hope.

gnome likes this.
  4. Deke

Deke Active Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Sport S
    Liked:
    Unfortunately, this is the new norm for diesels. My RAM 2500 has a similar particulate filter and does the same thing. It shouldn't be frequent but will happen more often if you idle a lot or make frequent short trips where the diesel engine never gets up to operating temp.

5. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked:
    I’m glad to hear that a message tells the driver when a regen is occurring. This way you can make a decision to continue driving to allow the process to complete efficiently. The pre-2020 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel didn’t do that. If paying close attention to the instantaneous mpg, I can sometimes tell (on my 2014) when a regent was in process. It shows a drop of a few mpg (about 3 I’d say when cruising at 60mph on my 1500).

By the way, there’s a differential pressure sensor used to measure the amount of restriction in the pdf due to soot accumulation. Some early 1500 owners experiencing poor fuel economy had this sensor replaced which fixed the poor mpg. I never read an explanation on the details, but assume their trucks were spending more time in regen mode because the faulty (miscalibrated??) sensor was telling the computer that the dpf was at a higher % full than actual.

Cwu21, Nihkole and JLURD like this.
  6. bruno747

bruno747 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
    Liked:
    I just want to specify. If the Regen programming is same as previous ecodiesels, this is not a normal Regen. This is a forced one. The fact that it said the filter was full suggests that it's programmed the same way.

That is to say that it has tried to Regen a couple times and was interrupted. Or it never managed to get hot enough for a Regen and eventually tripped the forced Regen back pressure limit.

Under normal condition with the ecodiesel driven enough to get the exhaust system hot ~25 miles in a trip without too many stoplights, the end user will not know a Regen occurs unless they pay close attention to fuel consumption and engine noise. Regens normally occured before the filter is full.

Do you regularly drive short distances and hear lots of metallic ticking when you shut the Jeep down and get out? If it's lots of ticking it was most likely mid regen shut down.

If you ignore this message too many times it will tell you to go to the dealer for a cleaning and that truck will not restart in x miles.

This only happened to a few of the previous ecodiesel owners and it was always a short distance daily driver or someone constantly interrupting a regen. I have no doubt Jeep's were programmed the same way.

7. OP
    OP
    Nihkole

First Name:
    Nichole
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I've never heard the metallic ticking. I heard that a bunch on the 2.0 loaner I was driving for awhile. I do drive mostly short distances...I have a 30 minute highway commute with no traffic Monday-Friday.

It said that the filter was almost full. I don't mind it if it's normal but I've had a few issues so I'm on high alert

Adamoni likes this.
  8. 2020 Diesel JL

2020 Diesel JL Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle(s):
    1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
    Liked:
    General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
    Garage Profiles:
    This was NOT a forced regen. It was a passive regen. A forced regen has to be initiated by a scanner or laptop. A passive regen is when your vehicle performs a regen while driving and you may not know its even happening. It will only perform a passive regen when the vehicle it at speed and the DPF is at temp. If you don't get to the conditions needed to perform a passive regen during the time frame it needs to perform one it will ask you to drive to meet them so it can run it. If you ignore it it will ask you again and if it is ignored to many times or not reached it will eventually derate the engine and eventually shut it down to 5 mph. At that point you have to get a forced regen or it will not start if shut off. I don't have a 3.0 yet but I will bet there is not a option to do a stationary regen. You would do that if you could not get the conditions met driving. There would be a switch on the dash to start the parked regen but the average car driver would get confuse doing that so car manufacturers do not give the option.

If you are unsure how this system works take some time and watch some videos on YouTube. The understanding of what it does and how will help you understand what the engine needs and why. It will also save you a lot of money in repairs someday.

9. Jelllo

Jelllo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
    Liked:
    Nothing to worry about, but you are probably spending too much time driving in town. Take it on the highway for a good burn once in awhile.

10. Motoristx

Motoristx Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel, 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Liked:
    I have yet to see a regen message, however, on my way to work this morning I noticed something odd. I had set my cruise control to 55, as I was running earlier than expected and the highway has some construction going on. I noticed my MPG dropped to 22-23 for the majority of the drive into work. Right before I got to work it popped back up to 32 MPG. This is on a very flat section of road.

upload_2020-3-22_5-40-11.jpeg

I'm wondering if this was a regen and I somehow missed the message, if I have a setting that turns the message off that I'm not aware of, or if this is just a fluke of the computer measuring the flow of fuel.

11. JeepCares

JeepCares Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JL
    Liked:
    Hi @Motoristx,
    Thank you for reaching out here. If this concern persists, we do recommend having your dealer take a closer look. Of course, feel free to reach out to our team via private message anytime for additional support.

Kathryn
    JeepCares

Motoristx likes this.
  12. 9mmkungfu

9mmkungfu Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLURD
    Liked:
    1,850 miles here - no regen messages.