First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
I just got my first Exhaust Regen Message on the dash today. I want to share all the details on my experience so that others may compare. I'll list my driving style, mileages it popped up and how long it takes to complete, as well as any other information I feel useful in making comparisons to other Wrangler EcoDiesels. I think driving style may play an important role in the regen frequency.

Took this picture at a stoplight just after the message popped up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Exhaust System Regeneration Message 1601732485374

Duration:
My first regen message popped up at 15,771 miles. It completed at 15,782 miles. It took 11 miles to completely regen @ approximately 60 mph . The regen started while I was driving from light to light on my way to work, but shortly after I got on the highway and didn't stop till after it was completed. It would have been nice if it started on the highway and ended on the highway without any stops, but oh well.

I apologize for taking this picture while driving. I was trying to be quick and get the "Exhaust Regeneration Complete" message, but I was too slow and I missed it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Exhaust System Regeneration Message 1601732522191

Mileage:
While driving on the highway during the regen, I was showing 18-22 mpg on the current mpg meter on flat surfaces, and after the regen was over it jumped up to 26-28 mpg while on flat surfaces. 26-28 is normal for me @ 60mph on flat surfaces. Its not the most accurate, and seems to be optimistic most of the time, but its the best I have. My ave mpg for all miles driven is 20.7 currently. This includes everything from doing burnouts, to hauling ass on trips to Moab and Colorado, a little city driving but mostly highway.

Driving Style:
Its an every day driver. I take it to work maybe 5 days a week on average. I'm a shift worker, so I usually don't have to deal with traffic and stay at about 60-73 mph in the slow lane. I've been driving slower all summer to see what if I can find a sweet spot on mileage. I drive 33 miles each way to work, and about 5 miles of that have stoplights and are slower. On cross country trips or cross Texas trips I'll drive at 90 mph the whole way (this typically drops mpg to about 18 for me). I would like to go on wheeling trips a couple of times a year. So far I've only gone once, so we could put some 4lo action in there, but not much, maybe one tank of fuel's worth. I very rarely let it idle for long periods of time.

Mods:
Its a 2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel.
Stock my EcoDiesel weighed 5,060 lbs. Currently, in my every day driving configuration it weighs 5,400 lbs.
I'm driving on 38's with a 3.5inch lift in front and a 4.5 inch lift in rear. Stock 3.73 gears. The Tazer to adjust for tire size, and have compared the speed to GPS. I have adjustable control arms all uppers and lowers with adjustable trackbars front and rear. I carry my spare all the time and have the Mopar tailgate reinforcement, and the Teraflex spare mount. I have a truss and RCV's in the front axle as well as LCA skids fron and rear, but I don't think these add much weight or wind resistance. That's it. All stock steel bumpers and no winch and not even aftermarket rocksliders yet.

Jeep Wrangler JL Exhaust System Regeneration Message 1601733228969

I don't know if the EcoDiesel will go into regen mode and not give a message, or if it gives a message every time it goes into regen mode. I would like to know every time, so the message is defiantly preferred.

Update: 10/30/2020 Post#27 I realized on my first oil change, the wrong oils was used. Rotella T6 instead of the required spec (MS-12991 API SN) and was used for 5627 miles when this active regen hit.
Sponsored

Last edited:

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLUR 392 - Sarge Green
Excellent write-up, thank you.

It's nice to know roughly when I should expect a regen and what will happen.

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Excellent write-up, thank you.

I will try to keep adding regens as they happen. I'd like to lay down a frequency of occurrences. It may be a bit excessive, but hopefully it will turn out useful.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Couple questions
1) are those beadlock wheels?
2) how’s your overall drive ability with those tires and do you intend to rehear?

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
I don't know if the EcoDiesel will go into regen mode and not give a message, or if it gives a message every time it goes into regen mode. I would like to know every time, so the message is defiantly preferred.
From my experience, regen's normally occur about every 200 to 300 miles and there is nothing that indicates it is happening unless you have a special monitoring device. Rarely, due to prolonged idling or such, messages about a regen will be displayed.

I wish that the messages were always displayed, and I wish that I could initiate a regen. I am waiting to see what the Tazer device will do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Couple questions
1) are those beadlock wheels?
2) how’s your overall drive ability with those tires and do you intend to rehear?

Yes Beadlocks. We weighed the whole wheel and it's 108 lbs. I didn't weigh the stock wheels, so I can't say what the difference is. The wheels are Edge Wheels RF5C Beadlocks which are not made any more, I happened to get the last set of 5 from Extreme Terrain. They are the lightest Beadlock wheel I could find and weigh 22.5 lbs. Interestingly enough, they were made by Weld Wheels, and Weld liked them so much, they continued making them under the Weld brand. Weld Ledge W901 Beadlocks For Comparison, my friend's got Nitto Trail Grappler 40's on a KMC Beadlocks and are 147 lbs each.

Drive ability is great. In fact, I have to be careful not to spin the tires when it's wet. At 60 mph it shifts to 8th gear, downshifts when going up overpasses, and shifts back to 8th coming back down the overpass. I most likely will not regear unless I want to try 40's, if so I may find some 4.10 take off's and try them out. (EDIT: I'm also wanting to get an offroad trailer, and if I can't stay in 8th gear while pulling it cross country, I'll probably regear.) I am curious as to if this setup causes regens to happen more often, and if I did regear would it happen less? I have lost some mpg with the bigger tires, but my goal has always been to try and keep it above 20. Also, does that lost mpg equate more soot in the DEF? For me, that is the magic number has always been 20, or 350 miles per tank. Other's haven't seemed to have the same mpg results as I have with the larger tires, and i'm thinking the weight of the tires may impact that, as well as driving style? Maybe?

Only problem with the lift and tires is the kids want me to get automatic steps like their mom's Yukon has.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
From my experience, regen's normally occur about every 200 to 300 miles and there is nothing that indicates it is happening unless you have a special monitoring device. Rarely, due to prolonged idling or such, messages about a regen will be displayed.
This is what I understood too. There are times where I've suspected it's happening, and I see the current mpg's meter dip, and then come back up. It's always got me guessing, because when it happens I'm driving into the wind or something.

I very rarely let it idle for a long time, so i'm figuring that couldn't be what caused it. I did flat tow my YJ to the shop a few days ago (3,060 lbs if anyone asks). It strained it enough to not go into 8th gear on the highway at 60, but I chalked that up to the 38's and stock 3.73 gears. This isn't the fist time I've flat towed it either.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
My JLURD has less than 250 miles, and yesterday my Scangauge “soot%” dropped to the high teens after lingering in the high 60s to low 70s for most of its very young life. I got no message and my Scangauge still shows zero regenerations. The process is still a mystery to me.

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
12,600 miles and I’ve never seen a regen message on the EVIC. Fuel use will predict soot buildup in a nearly linear fashion...more burned, more soot, more frequent regens. OP your mpg are interesting to me because my beadlock 37s are 117lb each and I’m overall running about 100lbs heavier through my daily commute with otherwise similar driving style but I’m somehow holding 23mpg +/- 1mpg. I’ve always wondered if the quietness of the egg-shaped Milestars at 30psi is a reflection of reduced rolling resistance that’s yielding better mpg than a flatter tire like a KO2...what pressure do you run the 38” pats at?

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’ve always wondered if the quietness of the egg-shaped Milestars at 30psi is a reflection of reduced rolling resistance that’s yielding better mpg than a flatter tire like a KO2...what pressure do you run the 38” pats at?
I started out at about 35 psi, and gradually lowered them to about 25 trying to find a sweet spot. they feel conformable at any PSI it seams, but they start to get louder the lower I go. Once I got to 25 psi, it stopped wanting to stay in 8th gear, thus rolling resistance started increasing. Also worn them a little funny because of the lower tire pressure. On my JK I had Nitto Trail Grapplers and ran them around 27 for comfort, with the same style shocks so I figured id try it. I have 10k miles on them now and I like 35 psi, but because of the lower pressure wear, they are louder than my old Nitto Trail Grapplers now...

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I started out at about 35 psi, and gradually lowered them to about 25 trying to find a sweet spot. they feel conformable at any PSI it seams, but they start to get louder the lower I go. Once I got to 25 psi, it stopped wanting to stay in 8th gear, thus rolling resistance started increasing. Also worn them a little funny because of the lower tire pressure. On my JK I had Nitto Trail Grapplers and ran them around 27 for comfort, with the same style shocks so I figured id try it. I have 10k miles on them now and I like 35 psi, but because of the lower pressure wear, they are louder than my old Nitto Trail Grapplers now...
I imagine that is making a significant mileage difference...noise is rolling resistance. That said, the pats are probably the quietest tire of that width I’ve ever heard.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Thank you so much for the write-up! I have 1250 on my ecodiesel so far (in less than a week lol) and i was wondering when this regen will happen! Now i know! When did you do your first oil change?? Did you use the free oil changes or did you do it yourself??

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Thank you so much for the write-up! I have 1250 on my ecodiesel so far (in less than a week lol) and i was wondering when this regen will happen! Now i know! When did you do your first oil change?? Did you use the free oil changes or did you do it yourself??

You have had at least 4 regens in that time, possibly more. You will know based upon the real time fuel mileage indicator. Also, you can smell it and hear it. The latest diesels with urea, as mentioned, are going through a regen at least every 200 miles. The older ones with DPF but no SCR were doing it as frequently as every 80 miles. If you do a lot of city driving, it will be more frequent and of the "active regen" variety. More highway and it will be "passive regen."

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’ve suspected it’s been regening often based on paying attention to the current mpg, but this is the first message I’ve gotten.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I’ve never owned a diesel but it seems like if you take it out *to mexico* twice a month and bury the throttle up to max speed a couple times this issue should be taken care of
Sponsored

Last edited: