Ethanol-Free Gasoline

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I just wonder why NY or NJ gas stations do not sell ethanol free gas? Matter of fact I do not recall seeing Ethanol free anywhere in the North East from NH down to Virginia.
I can get it in 2 places in PA that are about 20 minutes from my house.
Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I've run ethanol free in my small engines for years. A friend convinced me to pop for av gas. Spendy, but I've still got some mixed gas for the chain saw thats about 5 years old and still starts and runs like new. I get it at my local general aviation airport.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Here in Iowa, the world's largest producer of ethanol, non-ethanol gas is in most stations. It just costs more.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
The town called "West" ain't in West Texas. 🤠
I know. My mother and her relatives are from the town of West. I grew up hanging around there.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
I just wonder why NY or NJ gas stations do not sell ethanol free gas? Matter of fact I do not recall seeing Ethanol free anywhere in the North East from NH down to Virginia.
I think it’s because NJ and NY are CARB states. I don’t think you can find ethanol free in a CARB state.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have been using 15% ethanol gasoline in my lawn equipment with no winter additives for 6 years and the things run like when new.
Myself and most everyone else have issues, sooner or later, in the Houston area, with ethanol. The humidity is probably a huge factor. Since Ethanol is hydrophilic, the more moisture in the air, the more likely it will accumulate in the gas.
A Stihl Leaf Blower, that I have had for approx 6 years was running really poorly. I drained the gas into a mason jar, and could see it was about 1/5 water, which was sitting on the bottom. This even happened with the ethanol stabilizer treatment I religiously use.
the ethanol also eats at rubber hoses, and will corrode aluminum. Nasty stuff.
Lower fuel mileage, increased wear on engine parts. Doesnt sound like a good thing to use.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I was wondering if any of you use the ethanol-free gas in your Wrangler, and can tell a difference?
I regularly use 91 octane E10, and the fuel mileage suits me well enough. ;)

I do not recall seeing Ethanol free anywhere in the North East from NH down to Virginia.
Such stations don't have a broadband presence in PA, but they are there. There's two within 20 miles of my house that come to mind right now. I recurringly use one of them to fill my collection of NATO 20L jerry cans, from which I feed the mowers, snow blower, etc.

I don’t think you can find ethanol free in a CARB state.
Pennsylvania is a so-called CARB state, and pure gasoline is available here.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Myself and most everyone else have issues, sooner or later, in the Houston area, with ethanol. The humidity is probably a huge factor. Since Ethanol is hydrophilic, the more moisture in the air, the more likely it will accumulate in the gas.
A Stihl Leaf Blower, that I have had for approx 6 years was running really poorly. I drained the gas into a mason jar, and could see it was about 1/5 water, which was sitting on the bottom. This even happened with the ethanol stabilizer treatment I religiously use.
the ethanol also eats at rubber hoses, and will corrode aluminum. Nasty stuff.
Lower fuel mileage, increased wear on engine parts. Doesnt sound like a good thing to use.
Of course. The question is ¿is it worth even looking for ethanol free gas? I have never seen even one gas station with that kind of gas, so why even bother. I’m pretty sure the engineers took that into consideration when building the engine and selecting materials.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Of course. The question is ¿is it worth even looking for ethanol free gas? I have never seen even one gas station with that kind of gas, so why even bother. I’m pretty sure the engineers took that into consideration when building the engine and selecting materials.
it is factored in so far as making sure that the devastating effects and component failures occur outside of the warranty period.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
...I was wondering if any of you use the ethanol-free gas in your Wrangler, and can tell a difference?
It's pretty common around here (Eastern Idaho). Pretty much everyone's Premium is non-alcohol, so the upcharge isn't that bad.

That said, when I first got the Jeep, I noticed my mileage w/ non-alch premium was 10-12% better than with alcohol infused regular. I've been burning non-alch Premium exclusively ever since. Even if the cost vs. increased mileage is a wash, the non-alch fuel is better for the engine.

Sponsored

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I've run ethanol free in my small engines for years. A friend convinced me to pop for av gas. Spendy, but I've still got some mixed gas for the chain saw thats about 5 years old and still starts and runs like new. I get it at my local general aviation airport.
You can get ethanol free gas at home Depot cheaper than driving to an airport to buy av gas.

And lmao using 5 year old gas..

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Here in Iowa, the world's largest producer of ethanol, non-ethanol gas is in most stations. It just costs more.
I remember that from when I was growing up in eastern Iowa. I always thought it was a little ironic.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can get ethanol free gas at home Depot cheaper than driving to an airport to buy av gas.

And lmao using 5 year old gas..
I was at Lowes, Today, which is comparable to Home Depot. They wanted $36 for one gallon of ethanol free gas. Oh, but it did have fuel stabilizer in it. Rip off.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I was at Lowes, Today, which is comparable to Home Depot. They wanted $36 for one gallon of ethanol free gas. Oh, but it did have fuel stabilizer in it. Rip off.
That stuff isn't really the same as what is served up at the pump at all. It is shelf stable for a very, very long time.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I run it, mostly because I may leave the vehicle for 3-6 weeks at a time in a moments notice. I never had any problems.
Sponsored