Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
As @Rhinebeck01 has stated after getting it back from service all working don’t run any programmer, I currently have my Tazer unmarried and it’s been about a week and all works and functions just like I drove it out on the day of purchase with the exception of the speedo being off due to the larger 315’s but things like ESS work perfectly.

My plan is to run till the first of the year without my Tazer then remarry and change just tire size and TPMS limits so my speedo is correct then just unplug it and run another 4-6 weeks and monitor for correct operation of everything and then if all goes well start using the live features again.

I honestly don’t think the Tazer caused my issues with my battery or ESS but it’s best to proceed slowly and monitor as I go to possibly pinpoint what caused the problem and it may just be that I had a crappy main battery that took a chit in 7 months and caused all my issues but who knows.
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
So the dealership called me tonight while I was eating dinner. Said the Jeep is fixed, and they say that they've driven it to confirm.

They said the problem ended up being that the Jeep lost it's "knowledge" of the ESS system and had to be put through a "re-learn" procedure. This procedure took four or five drive cycles with 4 hours between each cycle and a few other steps to complete.

Sooo... I will go to the dealer tomorrow to get the Jeep and check it out. But I'm wondering...what would cause my Jeep to randomly "forget" how to operate ESS after 8,300 miles of use?? Any ideas? And is this likely to happen again?
It really sounds to me like it was just going through the process of the new IBS learning the main battery. Maybe the symptoms of your bad IBS happened to match the symptoms of a new IBS learning process.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well I picked it up a little while ago and it does work normally again. Yay! Hopefully it'll stay that way.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@WXman as @Rhinebeck01 advised it’s best for now to leave any programmer out of the picture for now to see how things progress, I have had mine back from the service ppl almost two weeks and it’s running solid and ESS is spot on, I don’t think they did any software reload on mine as my ticket just advised oil change along with testing and replacing the main battery, the other issues I brought to there attention they could not address ( imagine that ) but it’s all been working like the first day I purchased it.

Again I don’t think the programmer had anything to do with my issues but I am being cautious and going to leave it out of the picture until the first of the year and monitor for issues that may come up, I am glad they got you taken care of.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
@waxman
Personally, I would not be running firmware 1.03. Will say no more on this but strongly encourage you to update the Tazer JL's firmware to 1.06.

And yes, do go without a programmer for a few weeks. No sense clouding issue so to speak.

When you get your dealership service department receipt, see if there is mention of a pcm swap.

Also, I would just plug in your Flashcal and see if the JL says it is still married to Flashcal.
I thought in the past you had said the 11.0.3 is the one to use? The new update seemed to be causing problems for folks.

All I know is I was using the Tazer exclusively for months with no issues and then randomly this happened, so I don't think the Tazer is the problem. I am going to give it a little while to make sure all is well, but it sure seems to be. When I fill up with gas again next time I'll probably pop the Tazer back in and set my speedo correctly again. I don't use many features on the Tazer anyhow. Just speedo adjust, TPMS, and fog light drop off.

I think the battery went bad, and when they put the new IBS on they didn't follow the procedure to reset the computer to recognize it. But who knows...

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the battery went bad, and when they put the new IBS on they didn't follow the procedure to reset the computer to recognize it. But who knows...
The IBS monitors battery behavior over time to learn the battery, I don't know if there is anything for them to reset.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
The IBS monitors battery behavior over time to learn the battery, I don't know if there is anything for them to reset.
Maybe not. I just remember from my F-150 days that whenever they replaced a battery or a IBS they had some programming they had to do to "reset" everything. The FCA system could be different. I'm not sure.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@WXman

For sure if you are going to be using disable ESS, you want to be running 11.06. Regardless, 11.06 has fixes and has proven over time to be aok.

With 11.06 known issues are Auto Park disable does not work and Turn Cam does not always automatically turn camera off after it turns it on. A minor annoyance for some..

Anyway, suggest you and the world 8-) be running 11.06 firmware.

11.07 will be out in a few weeks and then.. well, we will see about 11.07.

By the way, I say it is next to nil that your issue and @WranglerMan 's issue was spawned by the Tazer JL.

IF it was, you would see many here with the same issue.

Many many guys here are running the Tazer JL, Tazer JL Lite and the Tazer jL Mini..

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe not. I just remember from my F-150 days that whenever they replaced a battery or a IBS they had some programming they had to do to "reset" everything. The FCA system could be different. I'm not sure.
There may be something they need to reset and didn't, but according to what I've read, the IBS needs to monitor battery charging, discharging and voltage over time to determine the health, function (ability to start) and level of charge.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@WXman
@others

I neglected to say earlier....

DO remember with feature, Set in Motion Nav, this caveat mentioned in the 11.06 firmware instructions.

Basically it clearly states turn the Set in Motion Nav on when you need it but turn this feature off, after using it!

Per firmware 11.06 instructions:
"Set In-Motion Nav: It is recommended to leave this setting OFF, enabling it only when you need to use it.."

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My plan is to go the rest of this month without my Tazer installed and in Jan remarry it to my Jeep then set my tire size and TPMS limits and then unplug it so there is no possible drain on the battery then run another month monitoring correct ESS operation along with battery voltage, I did stop by the dealer and ask a tech unofficially about the voltage running 12.6-14.4 and he advised that this was normal which is what I was told before, I have not even looked at the voltage in over a week but all functions like it did when I first got it and right after I got it back I checked voltages on both batteries and main was 12.7 and ESS was 12.5 ish but ESS had been recently used before I checked that voltage so I kinda expected it t be low, I even checked voltage at N1 and N2 and they were identical

Again I am not saying my programmer caused the issue with the main battery as it’s very very possible the battery was just bad but the tech advised me that the voltage running a solid 14+ volts all the time is not normal as the alternator is constantly throwing a charge to the battery, he seemed to not stumpble around in giving me that answer but again this technology is all new

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There may be something they need to reset and didn't, but according to what I've read, the IBS needs to monitor battery charging, discharging and voltage over time to determine the health, function (ability to start) and level of charge.
Hey @Jebiruph , how long do you think it takes to learn? I’m wondering if that is why I’m still reading 14.5v with a new battery that is fully charged.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @Jebiruph , how long do you think it takes to learn? I’m wondering if that is why I’m still reading 14.5v with a new battery that is fully charged.
I don't know how long it takes and it may vary depending on conditions. I saw else where that yours finally did adjust down.

After having my batteries finally die from lack of driving, I charged them up and headed for the dealer. After the main battery failed the test and was replaced (they didn't realize there were 2 batteries), I saw the voltage drop after the 5 mile trip home. I'm concerned they didn't clear the battery sensor and it hasn't actually analyzed the new battery.

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)