Sponsored

ESS Stopped Working. "Now fixed. Not expected cause." IBS(Intelligent Battery Sensor)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Actually, the TAZER can disable it without causing any problem or lights/messages.
In fact, the Tazer JL disables absolutely nothing in regard to ESS. All a Tazer JL does is remember your last ESS buttom push and does that button push for you in essence at next start-up.

SargeDiesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
In fact, the Tazer JL disables absolutely nothing in regard to ESS. All a Tazer JL does is remember your last ESS buttom push and does that button push for you in essence at next start-up.
Hince disabling it.... tomatoe / tomato

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hince disabling it.... tomatoe / tomato
@SargeDiesel

You'd be surprised at how many guys/gals incorrectly think that a Tazer JL, JSCAN / a programmer / can "disable" ESS and thus they do not have to worry about maintaining their Aux battery, or if the Aux dies, etc.

SO, for these same guys/gals to know the fact that a programmer does not "disable" ESS is very important.

Again, to throw out / to use the word "disable" without saying more can lead guys to the wrong idea/conclusion/thought process lets say.

SargeDiesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
@SargeDiesel

You'd be surprised at how many guys/gals incorrectly think that a Tazer JL, JSCAN / a programmer can "disable" ESS and thus they do not have to worry about maintaining their Aux battery, or if the Aux dies, etc.

SO, for these same guys/gals to know the fact that a programmer does not "disable" ESS is very important.

Again, to throw out / to use the word "disable" without saying more can lead guys to the wrong idea/conclusion/thought process lets say.
Good point..... agreed.

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
There are all sorts of ways to address correcting ESS issues along with battery issues and they range all the way from an inexpensive fused jumper ( less than $10 ) to what I call the golden goose ( Genesis ) one just has to decide what works for them.

In the end it all comes down to FCA along with lots of makers who use CRAP batteries and the whole design is substandard at best.

I for one rarely look at my voltage anymore, once a week I hook up my NOCO 10 for 24-36 hrs and once a month I use my Odyssey 20 to do a reconditioned deep cycle charge and I have zero issues and all the power I need with my two full size batteries.
Can you explain the "$10. Fuse jumper" method ? Thanks

SargeDiesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
@SargeDiesel

You'd be surprised at how many guys/gals incorrectly think that a Tazer JL, JSCAN / a programmer / can "disable" ESS and thus they do not have to worry about maintaining their Aux battery, or if the Aux dies, etc.

You seem to really have this ESS system down.... I'm a transplant from the Gladiator forum. Running a JTRD.

I'm having issues with my ESS, but I believe my problem is because of my driving habits.
I was only getting a "not ready" message without any other reasons. In the process of individually charging the batteries, I reset the IBS, all the sudden for the first time ever I got the "battery charging " message. I'm in the process of charging the batteries now in parallel and once charged, I will do a test drive and see if the system is working... I'm not sure if it will due to the IBS relearning process, but if it doesn't after verifying a full charge , I was going to reset the IBS again and do the 5 starts at 8 hour intervals.....
Am I on the right track ? Any thoughts ?

I dont want to do this... but just for knowledge I read about a bypass... but can't find it again. Something about rerouting the battery cables and jumping a fuse to test the system.... do you know of this ? Possibly explain it better ?
Thanks

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you explain the "$10. Fuse jumper" method ? Thanks
@SargeDiesel

Though the "$10. Fuse jumper" is way, it in fact a way that is no longer the lets call it preferred way to go.

That way was to use a $10+- fused bypass jumper cable between N1 and N2 in the PDC (Power Distribution Center).... that with disco of the Aux battery negatvie cable on the Maion batteries Neg side.

Preferred way these days / since this new, other way came to light, is just to pull fuse F42 in the PDC and to disconnect the Aux battery negative cable that hooks up to the Main battery negative terminal. Do this and the Aux battery is no longer in the loop so to speak. You'd want to use the ESS button as much as possible or have your Tazer JL deal with that button push all the time.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You seem to really have this ESS system down.... I'm a transplant from the Gladiator forum. Running a JTRD.

I'm having issues with my ESS, but I believe my problem is because of my driving habits.
I was only getting a "not ready" message without any other reasons. In the process of individually charging the batteries, I reset the IBS, all the sudden for the first time ever I got the "battery charging " message. I'm in the process of charging the batteries now in parallel and once charged, I will do a test drive and see if the system is working... I'm not sure if it will due to the IBS relearning process, but if it doesn't after verifying a full charge , I was going to reset the IBS again and do the 5 starts at 8 hour intervals.....
Am I on the right track ? Any thoughts ?

I dont want to do this... but just for knowledge I read about a bypass... but can't find it again. Something about rerouting the battery cables and jumping a fuse to test the system.... do you know of this ? Possibly explain it better ?
Thanks
@SargeDiesel

I have been following the talk in regard to this on the JT forum. Careful as there is quite a bit of misinformation being posted there. Can tell you anything there posted by forum member Jebiruph can be taken to the bank so to speak but other stuff, by other's there hold suspect..

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
This may have been said, especially in other words, but I think we should avoid use of the word disable when it comes to ESS. Instead, the are two independent steps owners can take, at least as it pertains to JLs designed with two batteries for ESS.

One is to prevent ESS from engaging.

The other is to take express steps to disengage the ESS battery (where in (most) JLs equipped as such) by disconnecting it and/or rerouting cables.

The former can be done through hack, pressing the ESS button each time the engine is cranked, or through purchase of tech. Methods available on request.

Simply insuring that the ESS system never engages doesn't alone prevent issues like when a struggling ESS battery may tax the main battery, as these two batteries are connected in parallel from the factory at all times but an instant at start and *factory wired ESS* events.

(Where two or more batteries are connected in parallel, tendency exists for voltage to flow from the more robust battery to the weaker one.)

Also available on request, we can reroute all demands of only the ESS battery (in such JLs) to either both or only the main battery via under the hood changes. Doing this though won't prevent ESS from engaging, much though those who take such steps should probably also take steps to prevent ESS from engaging. This is because to not do so risks taxing the main battery during ESS events, to the point where it's ability to crank the engine may be put at risk.

I think ESS in such JLs with dual batteries designed for ESS should only engage when a separate battery can power accessories while an ICE engine is shut off at a stop light, sparring a separate engine cranking battery for that task.

Plenty of model vehicles run ESS on one battery. But few owners run as many "cranking power robbing during ESS events appliances" as JL owners. :movember:

Last edited:

SargeDiesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
@Rhinebeck01 , @Jebiruph

Have either of you heard anything about testing "guaging" the IBS ?

This is a quote from a post, Note* - the quoter didn't have any further information, he said he was told the information by a service tech.

This is what he said:
"Tech explained to me that there is an output reading for the IBS in the computer. It needs to read above 84% output from batteries for everything to work properly. Said he’s changed a dozen or so the last few weeks and they’re either stuck on 60% or 80% output. Makes no diff if batteries are 100%. If output is below 84, ESS will not work"

I already see a potential problem with his statement, from my understanding, the IBS only monitors the main battery, but it could have just been lost in translation.
Sponsored