Sponsored

ESS Stopped Working. "Now fixed. Not expected cause." IBS(Intelligent Battery Sensor)

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I have noticed, over the past week, that when I am stopped at a light, the engine will not shut off. Personally, I dont like it shutting off, so I usually am in the habit of turning it off, as soon as I get the engine started.
A few weeks ago I had the A/C instrument cluster replaced, under warranty. The ESS button is in the cluster, so it was replaced too. Since the replacement, I have notice the ESS hasnt been shutting the engine off. I also will saw the temperature outside is around 96-99 degrees.
I'm wondering what could cause this issue, temp, replaced cluster, bad ESS battery, or just my good luck??

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I have noticed, over the past week, that when I am stopped at a light, the engine will not shut off. Personally, I dont like it shutting off, so I usually am in the habit of turning it off, as soon as I get the engine started.
A few weeks ago I had the A/C instrument cluster replaced, under warranty. The ESS button is in the cluster, so it was replaced too. Since the replacement, I have notice the ESS hasnt been shutting the engine off. I also will saw the temperature outside is around 96-99 degrees.
I'm wondering what could cause this issue, temp, replaced cluster, bad ESS battery, or just my good luck??

You are blessed!

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
it might be your batteries. if they are low it will stop working just recharge them with a nice 70 mile drive or get a battery minder and plug in your car every night for a few days. next time when your jeep is running look through all the menu options one will say something like "ESS disabled recharge battery".

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you go to the ESS screen in your EVIC it will tell you why it didnt shut off. With 96F-99F I am guessing it would say cabin cooling.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you go to the ESS screen in your EVIC it will tell you why it didnt shut off. With 96F-99F I am guessing it would say cabin cooling.
I dont know how to get to the ESS screen on the EVIC. I dont know what an EVIC is.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it might be your batteries. if they are low it will stop working just recharge them with a nice 70 mile drive or get a battery minder and plug in your car every night for a few days. next time when your jeep is running look through all the menu options one will say something like "ESS disabled recharge battery".
I've looked through the menus and dont see anything. I don't have the fancy Rubicon electronics, just the Sport S.
Everything seems to be working just fine, just not the ESS. Hoping there isnt a battery issue, and am just lucky.

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Probably your cabin is cooling. If I leave my climate control on auto rarely does my ess shut off.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I just found out what the issue is. It says the ESS has stopped because the battery is charging. I only drive around 3 minutes to work and back, each day, and do light travel in-between. So, I guess I might need to hook up a trickle charger this weekend, and see if that solves it. Hopefully The battery isn't bad.

Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
The 'you don't drive enough' is probably wishful thinking. That's what a dealer told me the problem was at first. So they charged the battery & sent me on my way. Error light comes on on the trip home so I go back & they look at it some more, & come to the conclusion I need a new aux battery. They give me a new battery & that didn't work either. Take it back again, they give me a loaner and ultimately find out I had a faulty clutch interlock switch. They repaired that & its been fine ever since. And with the pandemic, I've been driving less than ever with no charging problems. That stupid ESS is tied in to so many systems I'll bet you'll have to take it in to get it figured out.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
The 'you don't drive enough' is probably wishful thinking. That's what a dealer told me the problem was at first. So they charged the battery & sent me on my way. Error light comes on on the trip home so I go back & they look at it some more, & come to the conclusion I need a new aux battery.
no his problem is the same as mine he only drives 3 miles a day. my work is 4.2 miles from my house and in the time of Covid-19 there is nothing open so you can't drive far enough to recharge the batteries. its a know problem and not a bad battery yet.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
no his problem is the same as mine he only drives 3 miles a day. my work is 4.2 miles from my house and in the time of Covid-19 there is nothing open so you can't drive far enough to recharge the batteries. its a know problem and not a bad battery yet.
That's about what I was doing pre-covid, 2 miles to the train station per day (4 mile round trip). That's why it was the dealers first response, instead of actually working on the issue.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally, I would like to just get rid of the Aux ESS battery and do the duel battery fix, even if it is a pricey fix.
Sponsored