Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well after about 3+ hours on the battery tender it say battery is 100% so checked with meter and getting 13+ volts while battery at rest, I put the negative and positive leads on the main battery without disconnecting anything but the tender, is there a simple way to check each battery separately without disconnecting anything.

I thought I read you could put the positive lead on N1 to get the main batt and on N2 for ESS and just use the negative off the main for both

0086047A-7DDD-4607-90C0-8085EACB45F9.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Went to the dealership today. They still act totally clueless as to what the problem is, and they are claiming that the hold up is due to the open "Star Case" they have whereby they have to chat back and forth with FCA via computer to try and diagnose the issue.

In the meantime, I have an open case with Jeep Cares here on the forum and hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, they say. So I'm also brushing up on arbitration and lemon laws and rules. I hope it doesn't come to that point.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Went to the dealership today. They still act totally clueless as to what the problem is, and they are claiming that the hold up is due to the open "Star Case" they have whereby they have to chat back and forth with FCA via computer to try and diagnose the issue.

In the meantime, I have an open case with Jeep Cares here on the forum and hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, they say. So I'm also brushing up on arbitration and lemon laws and rules. I hope it doesn't come to that point.
When I mentioned pursuing a possible Lemmon law dispute on my 2018 Jeep Compass the Servce Manager got really quiet and then the Service Advisor I was working with pulled me aside and said once I start a Lemmon law disput they as in the Manager and dealer would be done talking to me and leave it to there legal team, kinda like getting kind kicked to the curb

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
When I mentioned pursuing a possible Lemmon law dispute on my 2018 Jeep Compass the Servce Manager got really quiet and then the Service Advisor I was working with pulled me aside and said once I start a Lemmon law disput they as in the Manager and dealer would be done talking to me and leave it to there legal team, kinda like getting kind kicked to the curb
Yep, that's what I understand too. So I am holding the lemon law as my ace card. Won't play it until I have to.

Today is day 14.....

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@WXman I honestly hope you get the issue resolved but going thru things like this tend to put a bad taste in the owners mouth as far as enjoying ones new vehicle.

I for was had a really bad experience with the 2018 Compass I had and I believe if the service ppl had taken a more active interest in the issues I had with it I would have not been upset but they honestly seemed to not care just get the viehicles in/out so $$ can be made, I then after getting rid of it went to my Wrangler as that’s want I wanted when I purchased the Compass but that’s another story.

I intally was super pleased with the Wrangle but then my OCD kicked in and I started seeing some weird stuff and started readig about all you other owners having so many issues and then I started checking my Jeep and found similar issues but it appears after my service of replacing the main battery that all seems to be working as it should so I am hoping I have lots of years with my new Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Day 15...

The dealership reached out to me for the first time today (prompted by a call from FCA Customer Care) and said they are still working with engineering on a diagnosis. At the moment, they are putting the vehicle through a "re-learn" process which takes several hours and some road miles to complete. They hope to know more tomorrow.

FCA then immediately called after I got off the phone and followed up with me regarding what the dealership is supposedly doing to cure the issue. FCA also verified that I do have a rental during this process, and made me another offer of help and support during the ongoing process that I won't get into detail about. It was refreshing and nice to finally have people reach out to me and act like they care.

Hopefully I'll hear more tomorrow....

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@WXman i am glad they are finally giving you some info and also actively working to resolve.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I have a limited understanding of the ESS, but if the ESS turns off the motor for x- amount of time at a stop light, wouldn't that wear out the starter faster? This is one of my big concerns with new vehicles that have this feature.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I have a limited understanding of the ESS, but if the ESS turns off the motor for x- amount of time at a stop light, wouldn't that wear out the starter faster? This is one of my big concerns with new vehicles that have this feature.
On a normal vehicle, yes. But on ESS equipped vehicles there is an upgraded starter motor and flywheel designed to handle the extra starts.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Since getting my JL back from service and still having my Tazer removed I have been letting ESS do its thing and I will openly admit it’s really not that bad and I was one of the front runners that hated it but I have been forcing myself to work with the newer technology and it’s true in the fact that an old dog like me can learn new tricks or in this case learn to deal with changes

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@WranglerMan

This ole dog is not learning that friggin trick.. no way.............................................

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
So the dealership called me tonight while I was eating dinner. Said the Jeep is fixed, and they say that they've driven it to confirm.

They said the problem ended up being that the Jeep lost it's "knowledge" of the ESS system and had to be put through a "re-learn" procedure. This procedure took four or five drive cycles with 4 hours between each cycle and a few other steps to complete.

Sooo... I will go to the dealer tomorrow to get the Jeep and check it out. But I'm wondering...what would cause my Jeep to randomly "forget" how to operate ESS after 8,300 miles of use?? Any ideas? And is this likely to happen again?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
snip:
@WXman

Sooo... I will go to the dealer tomorrow to get the Jeep and check it out. But I'm wondering...what would cause my Jeep to randomly "forget" how to operate ESS after 8,300 miles of use?? Any ideas? And is this likely to happen again?
If I remember correctly, you had a Tazer JL married to your JL and then concurrently, you had a Superchips Flashcal married to your JL. You were able to successfully unmary the Tazer JL, but you were never able to successfully unmarry the Flashcal. (I think that is the hx, anyway)

Who know what was going on in regard to your JL's pcm/programming.

Will be curious if your JL comes back to you and the Flashcal is still married to it..

Did the dealer say anything about them installing a new pcm, etc. ?

By the way, I encourage you to not use any programmer for say 4 weeks... until you know all is well with your JL.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
snip:

If I remember correctly, you had a Tazer JL married to your JL and then concurrently, you had a Superchips Flashcal married to your JL. You were able to successfully unmary the Tazer JL, but you were never able to successfully unmarry the Flashcal. (I think that is the hx, anyway)

Who know what was going on in regard to your JL's pcm/programming.

Will be curious if your JL comes back to you and the Flashcal is still married to it..

Did the dealer say anything about them installing a new pcm, etc. ?

By the way, I encourage you to not use any programmer for say 4 weeks... until you know all is well with your JL.

Yep but because of those issues with the FlashCal I stopped using it several months ago. Only been using the Tazer. And everything was fine for a LOT of miles, then it randomly "forgot" ESS. Thats what is odd. But i agree. I will leave the speedo unprogrammed for a while and verify that it continues to work before putting the Tazer back in. I also went back to 11.0.3 firmware. I don't think Tazer had anything to do with it though.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@waxman
Personally, I would not be running firmware 1.03. Will say no more on this but strongly encourage you to update the Tazer JL's firmware to 1.06.

And yes, do go without a programmer for a few weeks. No sense clouding issue so to speak.

When you get your dealership service department receipt, see if there is mention of a pcm swap.

Also, I would just plug in your Flashcal and see if the JL says it is still married to Flashcal.
Sponsored