Sponsored

ESS Stopped Working. "Now fixed. Not expected cause." IBS(Intelligent Battery Sensor)

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If under hood temps are too high and the battery gets too hot, ESS will not function in order prevent the battery charge from getting too low. It's happened to me. When the engine & battery are cooler it works as designed.
Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Well, I just found out what the issue is. It says the ESS has stopped because the battery is charging. I only drive around 3 minutes to work and back, each day, and do light travel in-between. So, I guess I might need to hook up a trickle charger this weekend, and see if that solves it. Hopefully The battery isn't bad.
That happens to my Wifes Grand Cherokee. I drove it on a road trip for 2 hours before the ESS started working again. When it is charging it charges the big battery first, then when it is charged it will tie the two together to allow the little battery to charge.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Personally, I would like to just get rid of the Aux ESS battery and do the duel battery fix, even if it is a pricey fix.
I’m in this camp too but I really don’t need a second battery for a fridge or something so it’s a bit of a waste.

what I want is for Genesis or someone to come out with an aux battery relocation kit...... it just moves the motorcycle battery up next to the main battery so, if the motorcycle battery (or the main battery) fails, I can easily replace it.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
That happens to my Wifes Grand Cherokee. I drove it on a road trip for 2 hours before the ESS started working again. When it is charging it charges the big battery first, then when it is charged it will tie the two together to allow the little battery to charge.
Yep.

so jeep has created a GREAT little ESS system that helps them with CAFE bit, in reality, for those folks who don’t drive much, it causes them to use either more electricity via a trickle charger on all the time OR if they live in an apartment like I do without access to a plug for a charger, causes us to drive miles and miles and miles more than we would otherwise and burn all that fuel. Hey, Jeep, stick that in your CAFE calculation and see what happens.

ESS, as deployed on the 3.6L, is a still-born turd designed by engineers who should be ashamed of their work.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Thanks for all the advise guys.
I hooked a very low amp Trickle Charger to it, overnight, and went to work and back. Once warm enough, the ESS worked too good. I think better than I remember it ever had. After being stopped for just a few seconds, it would kick in. Let's see if it holds the charge. If not, off to the dealership, to replace a battery or two. Have I mentioned how much I despise this ESS thing????

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, it lasted for three days, before crapping out again. I guess I need to take it in, to the dealership, to have them replace the batteries, before things start going south.
This morning, it said the ESS not working, it is charging.
Now I drove 12 or so miles and the ESS started working, saying ESS Ready. Then stopped because of Cooling Cabin, no seatbelt, and then wheel turned. This thing is psycho. The last three were legit. It is now working again. For now.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Well, it lasted for three days, before crapping out again. I guess I need to take it in, to the dealership, to have them replace the batteries, before things start going south.
This morning, it said the ESS not working, it is charging.
Now I drove 12 or so miles and the ESS started working, saying ESS Ready. Then stopped because of Cooling Cabin, no seatbelt, and then wheel turned. This thing is psycho. The last three were legit. It is now working again. For now.
Why are you driving around cold, with no seatbelt, and with the wheel turned? Talk about psycho...:LOL:

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why are you driving around cold, with no seatbelt, and with the wheel turned? Talk about psycho...:LOL:
Putting seatbelt on, as I was driving off. Engine then not warmed up. Then pulled into a parking space, with the wheel turned. :bandit:. Dont judge me. :)

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I did the dual batt mod and put the stupid moped battery in my wife's quad. It's not for everyone though, expensive if you don't need the extra batt for fridges and such as pointed out above.

Sponsored

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Laundry list of items to be checked into Friday morning.
Including Start/Stop Service Soon
Check Engine Indicator
Loose steering
and 6qts of oil
Let's see how this goes....

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Laundry list of items to be checked into Friday morning.
Including Start/Stop Service Soon
Check Engine Indicator
Loose steering
and 6qts of oil
Let's see how this goes....
Good luck. Let us know how it goes. G

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Personally, I would like to just get rid of the Aux ESS battery and do the duel battery fix, even if it is a pricey fix.
Hi @DaltonGang:

Having read all the above, and that notwithstanding, if you'd like to prove that the replaced ESS button functions correct my advise is to is to hook your rig's main battery terminals up to a trickle charger, say overnight when parked at home.

Such actions will also charge the Aux battery, as the two batteries are connected in parallel with the 3.6L (I must presume from thread context) at rest.

Take the rig for a spin, ESS switch not engaged. See if ESS engages. It should, and from that point on continue your normal shorter trips routine sans trickle charging. It sounds like you have enough voltage to crank, just not enough to engage ESS: your reported desired result anyway.

:)

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi @DaltonGang:

Having read all the above, and that notwithstanding, if you'd like to prove that the replaced ESS button functions correct my advise is to is to hook your rig's main battery terminals up to a trickle charger, say overnight when parked at home.

Such actions will also charge the Aux battery, as the two batteries are connected in parallel with the 3.6L (I must presume from thread context) at rest.

Take the rig for a spin, ESS switch not engaged. See if ESS engages. It should, and from that point on continue your normal shorter trips routine sans trickle charging. It sounds like you have enough voltage to crank, just not enough to engage ESS: your reported desired result anyway.

:)

It is working, on and off now. Sometimes it takes a break and says it is charging. when it is working, and not charging, the ESS works fine.
I did do a trickle charge, and it seemed to help the situation, for several days.
I have a couple of issues, that will need to be dealt with, at the dealership, and will have them check the batteries, when it is in.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Good luck. Let us know how it goes. G
I definitely will.
I know the majority of items on my list have effected a large number of drivers on the boards.
Fingers crossed....
Sponsored