Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Ah cool, good news, I like that👍… Now to find what is wrong with my ESS🤪
Just took a reading of the ESS battery by disconnecting its negative cable to isolate it and got this
Jeep Wrangler JL ESS problems need input. 807FCC18-96DC-4A73-AC6E-F325BB1D88A9

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Then thinking I might have the new version I isolated the other one and got this:
Jeep Wrangler JL ESS problems need input. 291AA703-7A2C-4727-BFEC-98E7C99D76A6

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Then thinking I might have the new version I isolated the other one and got this:
Jeep Wrangler JL ESS problems need input. 291AA703-7A2C-4727-BFEC-98E7C99D76A6
It looks like you have the old version. The black thing on the negative battery terminal is the battery sensor (IBS), disconnect it to reset it and let it relearn the main battery.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
It looks like you have the old version. The black thing on the negative battery terminal is the battery sensor (IBS), disconnect it to reset it and let it relearn the main battery.
I did exactly that. Not sure what this IBS is responsible for, but my radio ain’t the same anymore. All the colors changed and I lost the off-road pages app?!? What can I do to bring it as it was ???

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did exactly that. Not sure what this IBS is responsible for, but my radio ain’t the same anymore. All the colors changed and I lost the off-road pages app?!? What can I do to bring it as it was ???
The IBS is what determines if the main battery is charged enough to enable ESS and that's about all it does. I've never heard of it affecting any other settings, I wonder if disconnecting both batteries did something.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
291AA703-7A2C-4727-BFEC-98E7C99D76A6.jpeg
I didn't think of it at the time, but for future reference, when you disconnect both batteries like this you removed all the power from the system which would have already reset the IBS.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Just put a jumper on it, move the ESS positive and negative and jerk out that BS baby battery and be done….ESS is a total BS design.

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
Reading all this makes me glad I bought my Genesis system less than 30 days after I bought my Wrangler.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Alright, so my radio came-back to normal this morning which was a huge relief.... Was weird as heck, all the orange colors turned to blue and when I started the Jeep for the first times, RUBICON background showed-up for half a second before the Sahara background took-over.

So does the reading of the ESS battery shows that its good or bad ?? If its good, where else to look?? Last spring, I switched from Sahara to the Rubicon hood and the Jeep was without a hood for 2-3 days at the bodyshop. Could this have anything to do with the ESS not working ? I checked and both hood ''switches'' are connected properly, in fact there was no need to disconnect them. I have gone on numerous trips after that to allow the battery to charge...

where to look ?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
So does the reading of the ESS battery shows that its good or bad ??
Hey Steph1:

I am hesitant about drawing any conclusions about the acceptability of your ESS battery from your 12.36 volts voltage reading alone--which IMHO is low and probably a, if not "the" factor in ESS not engaging. True tests of the battery lie in the use of load testers, not multimeters.

As trickle charging your vehicle is an inexpensive and often beneficial thing to do regardless of where fault lies here, I recommend that if you park in a place with accessibility to shore power, that you place, as discussed by me prior, a good trickle charger on the posts of the main battery for a few days and see what happens. Again, on the 3.6L JL at rest, this will charge both batteries.

We can discuss future directions for you to take after we've ruled in or out that trickle charging allows your ESS to engage. I can tell you that I do this, and need to to get ESS to engage, and am an infrequent driver like you.

Do I like having to do this? No. But it does work for me and other owners.

If you need a trickle charger recommendation you can repost or search here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5